Author Topic: Walk the Plank  (Read 3134 times)

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
Walk the Plank
« on: Feb 27, 2020, 11:57 PM »
We have some strange conditions in PA. It gets cold enough to make ice for a few days, then it rains and washes out the shore. The lakes still have a good 5 in on them. I pan to buy a half sheet of 6X4 plywood to get on the lakes. How thick should I get?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Walk the Plank
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2020, 12:11 AM »
A 2 x 10 or 2 x 12 would be better, bit more strength than plywood.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2020, 03:45 AM »
I did this back in the late 70s with my dad on the pack. He used a 10 foot 2x8. And buried it in the woods at the end of the day.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2020, 05:30 AM »
walking the plank is common practice around here too.   but with the way our ice has been this year id just let it be man.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2020, 06:43 AM »
No plank walking for me yesterday, could have drove my truck on the ice if I wanted too up in NEPA, Thompson area, about 14" of ice, 9-10" of clear under the junk. The wind was a b***h but the fishing was good.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2020, 06:47 AM »
Id have to agree the plywood isn't quite long enough.  8'to12'  2x10 is my choice.  The problem is if you have a wide larger sled.   I usually try to travel light when the ice gets ??
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2020, 07:29 AM »
 I double duty mine , load the wheeler
 And access from poor shoreline , or a pair of waders

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2020, 07:33 AM »
No plank you for me this year.  That ice is kinda all over the place with the weather and if I had to plank on this year I would probably pass right now but more power to you tight lines out there stay on top!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2020, 08:32 AM »
AGREE  TO NO PLANK  WHY TAKE RISK ALMOST SPRING FISHING AROUND THE CORNER
snowsnake

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2020, 11:50 AM »
When there is good ice just a couple of feet out it's a shame you can't get to it.  So, why not use a plank to cross the few feet of poor ice??  Done it for years, nothing much to worry about, usually the shore is only a few feet deep anyhow.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2020, 01:58 PM »
AGREE  TO NO PLANK  WHY TAKE RISK ALMOST SPRING FISHING AROUND THE CORNER
X2

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2020, 03:05 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but some of the best public panfishing 'round h'yar exists on old reclaimed "strip pits" left over from coal mining operations.  Sure, one has to avoid the ones with the orange fizzing water but if the underlaying strata is inert, these bodies of water have virtually no runoff to bring the usual pollutants and can produce some serious 'gillage.  Owing to their nature however, they have interesting bottom structures. Most are fairly deep with little or no shallow water - think  25' deep 10' out from shore.

Most years they don't produce safe ice and the 2 1/2 hour drive to get there makes it a big deal when conditions are right. (I haven't walked on a strip pit in 5+ years.)  But,  when it's good, worth the drive. During one of those good years we had a great stretch of winter and plenty of good ice.  It was late in the season.  I called the guy at the bait shop and he said the ice was fine except right by the shore. We took an 8' 2 x 10 just in case.  When we got there, I positioned the board and put on my PFD.  To the back end of my life jscket we secured a good piece of rope which my wife and buddy payed out as I walked out on the plank.  Using my spud, bar I kept thumping the ice and the results were encouraging.  Beneath 1 inch of junk there was at least 6" of the good stuff. As I got to the end of the plank, The ice cleared and I beheld, a large dead crappie up against the bottom of the ice.  It was a big fish and I exclaimed, "Oh Hey Loo..." The rest of the "ook" never left my lips as all of a sudden I was yanked backwards toward shore.  Man, they got me airborne!  I crashed into them on the bank.  When I asked, "Why the H...." they replied that they thought my cry indicated the ice was about to break.  All in all quite a day... And, no, one often doesn't do at 68 what one did when 28.....

fish on

rivereddy

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2020, 05:13 PM »
If you, and I mean YOU, trust the waters (meaning you KNOW there aren't currents, springs or inlets/outlets to create issues) then planking can work.
I was "planking" one season at a local pond near the end of the season.
There was safe ice "if you could get to it", so another angler had a great idea (for him)...he brought an extendable ladder.

I mention this with an added warning: Don't risk your life and gear on that "one more trip" feeling.
I have only planked a few times where I knew the waters were shallow at that particular shoreline and I didn't have to cross too wide of an area to get to safe ice (5+ inches). There have been MANY more times when I looked at the shore ice and said "Screw it, I'll find some open waters (there are usually options when the season winds down).

Stay safe at all costs!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2020, 06:02 PM »
Planking is a part of icefishing at least for me.shorelines degrade fast but most times there will be 6” or more decent ice after getting on with the plank.i also pull my plank onto the ice after i cross it for 2 reasons.so no one steals it and to not encourage others to come out.most times i plank on not due to sketch ice but rising water levels raising the ice and creating a gap that i cant jump.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2020, 06:24 PM »
if there was pack ice on our local lakes i'd walk the plank gladly matey!but aaaaarrrrggghhhhhh avast ye swabs taint none, pack ice that is to get too
STILL GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2020, 07:38 PM »
This was "Walking the Plank" 2 years ago. Zman brought the plank, worked good going out. Rumor has it that 9 people went through that day getting off. The guy before me went in past his knee's I went in a bit past my crotch. I think Z went into his armpits and the next guy tried out his float suit.
I'm sure some others on here will fill in their details.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 29, 2020, 08:11 AM »
 Not for me. Call me chicken if you want, but I like ice fishing so much I want to be able to do it next year.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #17 on: Feb 29, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Planking season for me means the bite is hot!!! big girls come out for ice out. feel like i have been planking all winter here

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Feb 29, 2020, 08:30 AM »
Not for me. Call me chicken if you want, but I like ice fishing so much I want to be able to do it next year.
using common sense and experience to determine weather or not to go out on the ice? I call that smart not chicken!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 29, 2020, 08:36 AM »
This was "Walking the Plank" 2 years ago. Zman brought the plank, worked good going out. Rumor has it that 9 people went through that day getting off. The guy before me went in past his knee's I went in a bit past my crotch. I think Z went into his armpits and the next guy tried out his float suit.

Hey, I know that spot and those guys.
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 29, 2020, 08:40 AM »
Don’t use plywood that wouldn’t be walking the plank ;D ;)i also have did it numerous times to get on GOOD ice have used anything from a 2*6 to a 2*10 pull it on the ice so no one can mess with it jet sleds and most shelters will slid right over the water if they won’t slid on the plank     Would not attempt without a good understanding of the different kinds of ice quality as well as the proper safety gear and not alone.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 29, 2020, 10:27 AM »
We have some strange conditions in PA. It gets cold enough to make ice for a few days, then it rains and washes out the shore. The lakes still have a good 5 in on them. I pan to buy a half sheet of 6X4 plywood to get on the lakes. How thick should I get?

You are going to get a wet leg if you try and walk out on a 4' section of plywood. We use two 16' 2x6's screwed together to make a 2x12. You'll need a center support going down if its longer than about 6' to the ice, chest waders work well for that.

If its only a foot or two of water you have to go across, toss a couple pallets down.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 29, 2020, 10:30 AM »
Id have to agree the plywood isn't quite long enough.  8'to12'  2x10 is my choice.  The problem is if you have a wide larger sled.   I usually try to travel light when the ice gets ??

Sleds float. Float your sled next to you in the water, don't drag it across the plank and get it all wet and slippery for the next guy
EYECONICFISHING

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 29, 2020, 10:32 AM »
Wouldn't call it chicken just trusting your instincts.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 29, 2020, 10:39 AM »

Hell yeah a great last day of ice fishing that year. ill prolly test it this year too!  Yesterday was the 1-year anniversary of ice trolling! 
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 29, 2020, 11:34 AM »

Around here, the edges go quick on a sunny warm day. 6' out could be 15" of hard ice but the edge open water. Not really a safety issue, just a way to get on/off.

I did it once years ago when we had 20" of ice and the edge was completely gone after 3-4 really warm sunny days. Still had 18" of hard ice with 2' of honeycomb on top. Had a guy take my picture then post it online saying I had a death wish and was stupid for being out there. I took a picture of my ruler in the hole showing 20" of ice. Amazing how people think one or two warm days will melt a foot or more of ice. Had a guy walk up to the ice holding some bass rods last sunday because it was sunny and 65, I guess he thought 13" of ice was going to melt that morning. Needless to say he was kinda embarrassed walking away LOL
EYECONICFISHING

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 29, 2020, 04:51 PM »
And if someone takes your plank while you're out on the ice??????????

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 29, 2020, 07:43 PM »
Pull the plank out with you, they can bring their own, that’s what I do

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #28 on: Feb 29, 2020, 10:47 PM »
Thanks guys. I have two 8' 2x6 planks. I'm going to give it  a go next week at Prompton, PA. Any volunteers?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2020, 05:37 AM »
And if someone takes your plank while you're out on the ice??????????
Only happened once , I brought an old plank for everyone to use , 1 morning I and my partner were behind a guy he reached down and pulled the plank and laughed at us , wasn’t funny when I went back to the truck and put on my waders and pulled it to shore , water was only little over knee deep 1 good turn deserves another 😉

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.