The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Are you looking for NEPA reports?  (Read 4754 times)

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
Are you looking for NEPA reports?
« on: Feb 27, 2020, 11:40 PM »
If you need a report for a lake why don't you ask for help on this topic. ::) When I click on a lake in the report section, I expect a report or some info about the lake. I know everyone is anxious to get out, so lets stick together and post some reports.
If you don't agree with me, read the post Lake Reports above by the moderator.

On another note, I read on a google search that it takes about 2 days of average temp about 25 to make an inch of ice. So I would hope we have some good ice on NEPA lakes by next week. I plan to take a ride up to lake Jean tomorrow to check it out.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
Re: Are you looking for NEPA reports?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2020, 09:35 PM »
I am disappointed that none is posting NEPA reports. NWPA link has a lot of reports. We should have ice at Belmont, Lake  Jean, Duck Harbor, Prompton and other lakes in our area. People who pass by these lakes should post reports even if they are not fishing on 3-4in of ice.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline put the 1st one back

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2020, 09:54 PM »
Fished Lake Jean today. went out from boat launch on east side near beach area. Ice is fine but it does get thinner near shore on opposite side from boat ramp. Seen 6 different guys fishing.  Few small perch. Couldn't mark a fish from 1/2 hr. before dark to well after dark when we left.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2020, 11:54 AM »
I am disappointed that none is posting NEPA reports. NWPA has a lot of reports. We should have ice at Belmont, Lake  Jean, Duck Harbor, Prompton and other lakes in our area. People who pass by these lakes should post reports even if they are not fishing on 3-4in of ice. There are reports for these lakes on NEPAicefishing.com but I like our site better. :'(
I agree JMZ . There is more info. On the NEPA page on waste book.  Then on this site. I cant understand why them guys are not on a  great site like this posting conditions ! . No one posting anything on 24/7 either. It's like the waste book page took over. I would think Duck harbor & Belmont  & lake Jean will be good another couple weeks. I am gonna try to get my son to take a road trip next weekend. Hopefully we can get on the duck !!

Offline MMWood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2020, 06:11 PM »
Sunfish pond in bradford county, 8-10" ice. Top 2" white, it stayed cold on top the mountain.   Still trace of snow up there. Fishing, however is very slow!!

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2020, 07:17 PM »
people on belmonty  and duck harbor had 10 inches today

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2020, 10:11 PM »
We do have a great site. I went over to NEPAicefishing.com on Facebook and all I got was a bunch of pictures. Icefishin247.com won't give you conditions unless you pay for his supper.
Thanks guys. But you should put those reports on the reports page.
I think we have a good week or two if the rain stays south of us. I hope mother nature is kind. ::
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2020, 05:34 AM »
We do have a great site. I went over to NEPAicefishing.com on Facebook and all I got was a bunch of pictures. Icefishin247.com won't give you conditions unless you pay for his supper.
Thanks guys. But you should put those reports on the reports page.
I think we have a good week or two if the rain stays south of us. I hope mother nature is kind. ::

I agree. This is the best place for info, especially if we post in the appropriate places. Reports belong in the reports forum. Unfortunately way too many people are using the reports forum to ask if there are reports. The ice has been so sketchy I guess everyone is sort of tight lipped. All people need in a report is how thick the ice is and if it is tight against the edges... if there is any open water... parking problems, that sort of thing. No need for catch amounts and bragging pic's. Leave that stuff for the fishing forums. That way guys won't be so nervous about posting reports and possibly starting stampedes cuz someone posted a picture of a pile of crappie on such and such lake. Guys just want to know if they should make a 2-3 hour drive one way or stay home and clean the garage!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2020, 08:47 AM »
I have always believed that you should post 1st hand knowledge.  It is not good to post on what someone else has told you unless you can verify it for yourself.   Too many people will post saying that there is 4 inches of ice and when you get there, it is only 2.5 to 3inches.  This is a safety issue for all.  You should have a tape measuring device in your sled and actually measure the ice if you say how much ice is present.  Don't guess.  I do travel to different parts of the state to fish and do not even think twice about driving 2 hours to fish a 1/2 day and I do rely on people giving accurate information.  One problem that I do see if someone posts something, like being on 2.5inches, people get land basted for doing this.  It is frustrating when they say it is safe and then they post it is 2.5inches and they are asking for issues, but too many times writers scold others for posting topics that they do not agree with.  I think this is why some people are not posting like they use to post, in addition to the poor ice formation.  This site I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge regarding ice fishing and also have met many people that I would call very good friends.  We need to remember that this site is to help everyone work together and improve the sport that we all love...ice fishing. :icefish:  Nez

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2020, 12:09 PM »
It’s pretty simple- when there are only a few lakes in the entire region that are safe, people get tight lipped! Just common sense. Nobody wants to show up at a lake to find the parking lot full.
So guys get a little protective of safe ice.

In years where you have your pick of any lake in the area, it’s not an issue. And folks are much more likely to post reports.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2020, 03:49 PM »
Two buddies and I were on Belmont today. Over 13" of ice. Saw a snowmobile come on the ice by the dam. He ran the entire lake and back. Only four keeper size fish between up and a bass close to 5 pounds. Normal for me at Belmont. Only reason we ended up there was Prompton at the dam end was sketchy on the shores. We were there early. Nobody else came there. Left that area and went to the boat launch. Nobody there. Ice seemed solid at the shore but I hate fishing that area and didnt feel safe walking thru the narrows. Went to White Oak. That shore was rough so Belmont it was. On my way home I swung by Prompton again. About 1pm. Nine cars in the launch parking lot. Went to the dam end and nobody there.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2020, 06:40 PM »
Sounds about right for a Monday at the end of the season.

Last time I was at Prompton (about 2 weeks ago) I got there at 5:30pm on a Saturday for the evening bite. Only a few spaces open.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2020, 03:45 AM »
Belmont, Upper woods and duck harbor no good .  checking Toby in the morning tommorow
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2020, 04:40 PM »
Actual ice making temps starting Mon. night at least at elevation.

Offline TNT fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2020, 05:28 PM »
The nights are looking good for the beginning of the week,but Wednesday storm isn't going to help.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2020, 03:05 PM »
Was on Toby today 2" to 4"  Got out to 5 feet. Next weekend all will be good. Bradys was locked up only 1/2"

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2020, 08:21 PM »
Was on Toby today 2" to 4"  Got out to 5 feet. Next weekend all will be good. Bradys was locked up only 1/2"

awsome

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2020, 08:12 AM »

LOL! I should have known you’d be out there!  ;D

I’m being a little more patient this year. Hope you’re right about next weekend!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2020, 09:35 AM »
Let’s do this ,Rutt

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:32 AM »
You know I’ll be texting you this week Tim! Maybe we can coax Scrooge..............I mean SPIDER out on the ice with us next weekend!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2020, 11:32 AM »
 I'm thinking if we get big snow the lakes that are capped are going to suffer. Open areas should freeze up after the storm. I
' sure hoping we dont ger much snow from this one.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2020, 06:05 PM »
I worry about that too. Hope the cold and wind blows them off

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2020, 09:08 AM »
You know I’ll be texting you this week Tim! Maybe we can coax Scrooge..............I mean SPIDER out on the ice with us next weekend!  ;)

I don't think that's happening, we'll see what happens with this snow. I don't much trust anything the news says anymore and that includes the weather jerks. But if there's a foot and a half of snow on top of early ice, I ain't going near it.

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2020, 06:31 AM »
I drove by a number of lakes in Wayne county on Sunday.   Lot of private camp lakes but also checked Belmont, which is drained quite a bit (See my pictures under Belmont in this section).  In that area, all lakes were complete open water so the snow won’t have an impact except maybe to make the water a little colder for the freeze that should be coming afterwards.   There were a few small shaded ponds with ice, but the larger bodies of water were wide open.  If there is ice on a lake like Tobyhanna, I would definitely avoid it after this snow like Spider recommends.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2020, 06:44 AM »
I don't think that's happening, we'll see what happens with this snow. I don't much trust anything the news says anymore and that includes the weather jerks. But if there's a foot and a half of snow on top of early ice, I ain't going near it.

I don’t blame you. Our pond was capped last week, but with the warm temps over the weekend it opened back up. I’m just hoping the heavy snow and colder temps to follow will make for some good ice somewhere! Staying cautiously optimistic............ .........
Where's the FISH?!

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2020, 06:31 PM »
MOST PONDS IN LUZERNE CO.  ARE OPEN WHICH IS GOOD WITH THE SNOW COMMING AND THE COLD TO FOLLOW IT MIGHT WORK OUT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.