Author Topic: Flip over anchors?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Flip over anchors?
« on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:36 PM »
New to the flip shack game... What are you guys using to hold the front to the ice? I just winged it last weekend and used some bungees I had in my junk bag. I'm looking for something a little more solid. I'm leaning towards a piece of angle iron with a tab welded on to run an ice anchor down through to pin the bar to the ice in the front. The bungees did fine keeping it down but still let it blow around side to side a couple inches... The ocd in me goes batty when the front bar moves around.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flip over anchors?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:38 PM »
New to the flip shack game... What are you guys using to hold the front to the ice? I just winged it last weekend and used some bungees I had in my junk bag. I'm looking for something a little more solid. I'm leaning towards a piece of angle iron with a tab welded on to run an ice anchor down through to pin the bar to the ice in the front. The bungees did fine keeping it down but still let it blow around side to side a couple inches... The ocd in me goes batty when the front bar moves around.
my eskimo has ringed eylets in the front skirt, but I rarely use them.. I sometimes anchor either side and run a strap over the bar, most times I do nothing because I keep it moving
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:39 PM »
lay ur spud on the front flap
the bungees looked good tho

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:47 PM »
Sunday was so calm that I just flipped it down and was good but it never seems to be that dead calm often. The otter has a few tie down points but they're all in the fabric, I'd like to secure the bar to the ice itself. I don't typically move the shack once its setup in the morning, I'm usually on smaller ponds so I can hole hop most of the area and not lose site of it. I'm gonna check the metal pile and tac up a bracket before this weekend.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:48 PM »
lay ur spud on the front flap
the bungees looked good tho
Thats what I did Sunday... Auger/drill on one side, spud on the other.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:56 PM »

My 2 man came with a set of wind bars , I made a set for my 1 man

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:37 PM »
My clam Yukon has one D ring in the front which I’ve never used (its in a horrible location);...I’ve always tried to position my flip over with the wind to the back of the sled, I ended up installing eye bolts on the sled an have tied down that with ice anchors
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:47 PM »
I used a regular ice anchors and a carabeaner (sp) clipped to the bar
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2020, 04:05 PM »
I use one or two conduit straps that are sized to fit the front bar. I drilled out the hole to fit an Eskimo anchor so I can screw it down tight to the ice. You can get these at Home Depot.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2020, 04:19 PM »
I use one or two conduit straps that are sized to fit the front bar. I drilled out the hole to fit an Eskimo anchor so I can screw it down tight to the ice. You can get these at Home Depot.

Right on, that's pretty much what I was picturing in my head... Thanks

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2020, 04:39 PM »
Those work great, I saw it as a tip.on here,  just buy a bag... you will.loose them.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2020, 04:50 PM »
Those work great, I saw it as a tip.on here,  just buy a bag... you will.loose them.

Could always use a dedicated ice anchor ..add your conduit clip/bracket then add a castration ring ..always at the ready .I will be using this method as it seems very simple and effective .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2020, 05:06 PM »
Maybe even buy these or make some custom one using some straps and a grommet kit.

https://www.racknroad.com/product/yakima-anchor-strap-kit.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2020, 05:07 PM »
Thats what I did Sunday... Auger/drill on one side, spud on the other.

I carry a small backpack snow shovel and I'd there is snow I use that to hold  it down if not spud bar and auger work great
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2020, 05:14 PM »

I hope the next guy doesn't find one of those "lost" clips with his auger.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:29 PM »

What a great idea! I usually plop some ice chips from a nearby hole on the skirt but if it's real windy I drill ice anchors and then use small pieces of cord to tie the bar down. I like the idea of these conduit straps!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline WesternSlopeFlyNIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:53 PM »
My flip over is a nanook XL thermal- i installed 2 cleates into the back of it where i attach bungie to two ice anchors.

it can slide a bit like you described... but i dont know of any sure-fire way to secure a flip in window conditions.

so i bought an otter lodge for crappy days. it holds onto the ice like a champ!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.