Author Topic: circle hooks  (Read 2562 times)

Online Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
Re: circle hooks
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:12 AM »
The  heavier lead when ingested ruins the flavor of the bird lol!!   :woot:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:34 PM »
I know this is the NH ice fishing site, but *ssachusetts striper fishing was mentioned regarding circle hooks.  A Division of Marine Fisheries employee told me not all circle hooks are created equal. The hooks must be INLINE circle hooks, to which he clearly demonstrated.  My 6/0 Gamas did have a slight offset. I did ask if the state will offer a buy back program...he just stared down at me and walked away.

Yes, if you read my intro,  you would have seen that I  mentioned that, IMHO the owner tournament light matu in line circle  is the best in.the market it is one of only a handful allowed in bill fish tournaments, my experience  with it is positive in salt water applications.(striped bass  and ground fish) Thus is have began using  it in ice fishing applications,  Maine has had the in line circle  hooks law for a few years now..got sure all circle hooks are not equal.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2020, 12:54 PM »
I know this is the NH ice fishing site, but *ssachusetts striper fishing was mentioned regarding circle hooks.  A Division of Marine Fisheries employee told me not all circle hooks are created equal. The hooks must be INLINE circle hooks, to which he clearly demonstrated.  My 6/0 Gamas did have a slight offset. I did ask if the state will offer a buy back program...he just stared down at me and walked away.
I'm taking all my offset hooks and straightening them. I use circles for ground fish - Haddock as well as stripers. When ice fishing for bass, can't help but catch pickerel as well. I used to have to cut off a lot of hooks, but not so since I switched to circles. Would not be uncommon for me to catch the same fish during the next trip. How I could tell is that I used a particular hook that most people did not use and that fish would still have my hook

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:13 PM »
I have tried using them for small lakers so that they don't----in theory----swallow the hook so that I can release them. I found they got swallowed anyway. Not sure what, if anything, I did wrong.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.