Author Topic: folding or tent shanty?  (Read 6456 times)

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
folding or tent shanty?
« on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:16 PM »
hey guys just wondering which style you use and what you like most about it.  i typicaly fish alone or with one other person thx  im leaning towards a clam style but am not sure
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: folding or tent shanty?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:24 PM »
hey guys just wondering which style you use and what you like most about it.  i typicaly fish alone or with one other person thx  im leaning towards a clam style but am not sure

for one man, i would go witha single clam. I personally have a two man shanty that i got for about 200$, not a clam. Its pretty good, but if i didnt fish with my dad a lot, id go for a clam
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline molsonport

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:54 PM »
the scout is great for one guy unless your over 6.' can set up quick and easy to move around when following or looking for fish

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2006, 05:55 PM »
 i use a scout when by myself and i have a 4 person shappell for when the family or friends come along.  can't beat the scout or pro for by yourself.

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2006, 06:08 PM »
I have a frabill XLT twin and that is awesome but a little overkill if you fish by yourself alot. I would def go with the folding style over a tent if you like moving and jigging.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2006, 07:13 PM »
I like the flip-over styles, and since I like some extra space when I'm by myself, I like the two man models.
I had a fold up model, Clam 2000, and it was hard to pull in snow and did not hold up very well to the abuse I dished out. I'm not knocking Clam Corp, because yhey make some nice shelters, but the 2000 started to crack and rip at the end of it's first year, or 40 some days on the ice.
I use a Frabill now, but think Clam has some nice models and I've heard good things about the Eskimo ones.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2006, 07:44 PM »
I like the flip over style of icefishing huts. All you have to do is flip them back and go to the next spot. For years I fished out of a scout, nice hut but a tad small for what I like. Last few years I have been using a Guide.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2006, 08:23 PM »
Had the clam 5600 but made the change last season to a fishtrap guide !
Too much time spent setting up the shelter so I switched so all I have to do is flip it over and start fishing . They seem to be a lot more user friendly .

Offline dockdabber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2006, 08:28 PM »
hey i am totaly lost  with this, I am new to this site new to computer and old an slow   HELP

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2006, 08:37 PM »
Same here.
I had a 5600 and sold it.
Then bought a Voyager.
LOTS of room and the flipup style really allows for a much quicker setup.
Especially in the wind.
The 5600 was a big sail.
Mac
The Sail thing was one of the most important reasons why mine is in the basement and wont see daylight again unless one of my kid's use it .
Nothing more aggravating than enjoying a day on the ice and the wind starts kicking up and it takes all you can do to keep from looking like you are trying to set a new land speed record as you and your gear go racing across the bay as people stand there and laugh looking at the idiot passing them in their shanty spinning in circles like Dorthy in the wizard of Oz . lol

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2006, 06:12 AM »
I went to Fish307 last year and picked up a Rover 2.0 Deluxe flip top style shanty from Shappell.
It is big enough for 3 ppl to fish comfy out of yet it is manageable by one person!

I used to have a tent style shelter from HT. They suck! If you plan on moving your setup more than once in a day of fishing I suggest you DO NOT GET A TENT STYLE SHELTER!

Tight Lines

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2006, 07:13 AM »
I had a frabill voyager and used it one year.  I got a clam guide for christmas the next year and only use it nw.  The frabill was ok but a pain to set up and hard to sit in during a wind gust.  The guide is awsome, though a bit heavy pulling it yourself.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2006, 08:31 AM »
If I ever decide to purchase any kind of shelter like this, I'd go with a folder..the ones you leave set up are useless when the wind blows hard, unless you've got them anchored at a couple spots....even then...I've seen them blow over rather than sliding down the ice.....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2006, 08:56 AM »
Clam Flip Top :) if the wind strats cranking u can always put it down pretty fast where with a pop up one you get blown away  (had it happen a few times) when I had a Shappell 2000
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2006, 09:12 AM »
hey i am totaly lost  with this, I am new to this site new to computer and old an slow   HELP

What do you need help in? :tipup:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2006, 09:21 AM »
I got a clam 2000 two years ago and it was with me for 2 trips >:(. Too much messin around when you wanted to move and if the wind was blowing you couldn't go out to get any flags. I now have an Otter med. cabin(flip-over) and love it. lots of room for me and maybe even a grill for cookin ;D
       Jim

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2006, 06:33 PM »
i use the tent, eskimo quickfish III, i love it, its great for when im by myself, sets up quick and takes down just as quick, its only 18#'s so it doesnt weigh me down, another advantage is that on those nice warm days you dont even need to set it up, no sense dragging out 50-100#'s extra on a nice day, i have the three man, but the one man is great as well :tipup:

Eskimo Quickfish III

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2006, 06:57 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0035692120475a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=eskimo+quickfish&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=eskimo+quickfish&noImage=0

Arch... your link is gigged up...the one above works.

Those are nice units.  I used my deer blind one day last year and and it's alot like that Eskimo with the hubs that pop into place to keep the fabric stretched.  Nothing wrong with a little Mossy Oak out on the ice...is there?
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2006, 07:11 PM »
Both links worked and took me to the same page :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Offline stoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2006, 09:36 AM »
I would guess, how you are to move it around and how much stuff you carry. I had a clam 5600 and it was a pain to setup and move, also you can't pull it thru the snow like a flip over, now i have a Frabil xlt twin and more than happy with it. If you fish alone and or pull it by hand, go with something like a clam scout, it you pull it with a machine, go larger like a twin or clam 2 person. The extra room will make a much more enjoyable experience... the setup is much easier with a flip up versus a suitcase. Good luck

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #22 on: Sep 23, 2006, 11:01 AM »
I picked up a quikflipIII this spring can't wait to finally use it. Mainly got it so that i could fit the kids in it also. was using a clam jr and at times it would like to blow around is still a good shack to use

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 23, 2006, 10:12 PM »
i use the tent, eskimo quickfish III, i love it, its great for when im by myself, sets up quick and takes down just as quick, its only 18#'s so it doesnt weigh me down, another advantage is that on those nice warm days you dont even need to set it up, no sense dragging out 50-100#'s extra on a nice day, i have the three man, but the one man is great as well :tipup:

Eskimo Quickfish III

Ditto, Arch...
I have been using the Quickflip II for the past 3 years and have had no problems.  easy up/easy down and pulls nicely on the ice.

Offline kenkinser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2006, 08:37 PM »
Hi i'm here in southern indiana and the lake frezzes but not enough to get out on the ice. i do have a dock here and has 18-25 ' water with crappie staying all year. i do want to thank u guys for the tips u have posted for tech. for ice fishing. my shack is a Deer Blind popup, with a coleman heater little one, and my ice sled is a kids little red wagon, compleate with PVC rod holders and a milk crate attached to the back. did get a Manual ice auger and it all worked real well last year. I'm 52 yrs old and been stayin in after the lake froze over i really want to thanks u guys for the ideas and tips i have got on this site Ken Kinser :)

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2006, 09:18 PM »
I went to Fish307 last year and picked up a Rover 2.0 Deluxe flip top style shanty from Shappell.
It is big enough for 3 ppl to fish comfy out of yet it is manageable by one person!

I used to have a tent style shelter from HT. They suck! If you plan on moving your setup more than once in a day of fishing I suggest you DO NOT GET A TENT STYLE SHELTER!  My wonderful other 1/2 just went to 307 and surprised me with a shappell Rover 1.5 DX. for my birthday. now I can retire my Frabil cub siutcase style shanty.  ;D

Tight Lines

Offline bmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then Catchem
« Reply #26 on: Oct 23, 2006, 11:43 AM »
I only have a tent shanty and am pretty happy with it. It is an HT brand  6'x6' , quicks set up and enough room for 2 people. I will probably stick with this style because , I have a calfing sled already to haul the gear and I like the lite weight. I picked it up a Cabelas bargain cave at the end of the season $69.00 1/2 price.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2006, 10:54 PM »
Fish trap guide!!! two seats that move,plenty of room for two and lots of room for one,i like it cause i can set one rod on the other seat while i jig with the other rod.pulls really easy also.When you need to move throw the marcum flasher on the spare seat flip the cover back and your on your way!! :tipup: :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2006, 10:59 PM »
Ditto, Arch...
I have been using the Quickflip II for the past 3 years and have had no problems.  easy up/easy down and pulls nicely on the ice.

i use the quickfish, not the quickflip, mine is a tent style shanty :tipup: its a 6'x6'x7' tent and 18#

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #29 on: Oct 24, 2006, 09:12 AM »
I love equipment threads as everyone has opinions and they always vary so much to personal taste or experience. I personally own a Shappell DX2000 (I think) and it is great for a two man shanty but I wish I had spent alittle bit more to get a more roomy unit. I also use a frabil one man flip until and I love it...clam makes some solid gear and if you have the coin to spent, I would not hesitate

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.