Author Topic: New fee for strawberry marina/mud creek users  (Read 2675 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
New fee for strawberry marina/mud creek users
« on: Jan 16, 2020, 05:41 PM »
Just seen this.

Strawberry Marina Road Fee: Beginning tomorrow Friday 1/17/2020 the Strawberry Bay Road will be considered a fee access area. The winter access fee will be $12 this is to help with winter road maintenance. Summer access will remain unchanged. Fees will be collected at the entrance at the marina store. We are grateful for the support and look forward to continuing to provide winter access for users of the valley.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Re: New fee for strawberry marina/mud creek users
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2020, 07:04 AM »
There will be a few of you that will go postal over this.  Before you do, you might want to consider the following that I posted on that other site.  I’m not going to direct this to any one individual; it's a general comment to try and put some perspective on the subject. Strawberry is a Federally owned/controlled recreational property under the US Forest Service Agency (USFS). Therefore, State Parks Passes do not work for entrance there.

In the summer months, the facilities are managed by a concessionaire under contract with the USFS. During the winter months, the facilities management is again the responsibility of the USFS. They don’t have the resources to do anything, so they close at all – with the exception of the Strawberry Bay Marina/Lodgeand a couple of pulloffs along the highway. The Strawberry Marina facility is a privately run, commercial operation that provides services on a for profit basis. They offer lodging, food, equipment rentals and ice shuttle services to name a few.

They, and they alone, are responsible for keeping the road open in the wintertime so that folks can access that part of the lake. It costs them tens of thousands of dollars each winter season to do this. And most people that use that open road to get to that facility don’t spend ANY money at the lodge/store/restaurant. So, the financial loss to the owners of the commercial operation to keep the road open is substantial. I have absolutely no problem with any business in this country trying to keep their operation in the black. And I really have no sympathy for anybody that does have a problem with that.

Look, $12 a trip to access that part of the lake is NOT going to break any of you. If you simple don’t want to pay it because you’ve been getting in there free for like forever, then simply don’t go there in the winter. Use any of the other entry points kept open along the highway. But Peeing & Moaning about a company trying to stay in business and offering some really nice services to the general public is pretty childish IMHO.
   ;D :laugh: ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2020, 07:50 AM »
I myself have been going in there for years for free on the hard deck and now only make 1-3 trips at the end of the season if I do hit the berry, so $12 a trip in there will be minimal compared to my gas bill to get there. I have no probs with paying it to get me closer to my fishing grounds there.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:26 AM »
I have always wondered why the lodge did not charge in the winter? I was glad they did not charge. But things change and i completely understand why they are charging now! Has anyone heard how early they will be open or if they will have a drop off box? I usually start well before daylight? If they don't open early the plans might have to be altered from now on??

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2020, 10:57 AM »
Well stated, Bob.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:09 AM »
Well stated, Bob.
Thanks!  ;D

But you wouldn't think so reading the responses to the same post on BFT.   :laugh:  Hard to understand the hate for opposing the views of some over there.   :cookoo: 

But hey, I've got thick skin.   :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:47 AM »
I parked in the marina lot last Monday. No one was around before daylight when I arrived. I left a note on my windshield stating I would pay when I returned mid day. Upon returning many of vehicles had notices stating to pay to park. My truck did not have a notice. I went in the marina store and paid. The guy working in the store said there is no after hours drop box. He said to pay when they are open and operating. Just a little info to pass on to everyone!!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:02 AM »
So what your saying is put a note on my windshield and don't get a ticket. LOL next trip up everyone that reads online forums will be leaving promissory notes!!! They better change the way they are checking vehicles there. Not so many will have your integrity Matt, says alot bro. But I already new that anyway  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: forgot to mention that it sounds like you don't need to pay this if your fishing mud creek but I could be wrong  ???
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2020, 03:04 PM »
I don't know how they could ticket you! A county sheriff or different law enforcing agency would have to ticket you. The marina/lodge is the party enforcing the winter parking fee. They marina would have to hire someone to ticket and handle the parking enforcement. So the way i see it, is the honor code. The strawberry bay lodge/marina is asking you to pay? If someone is not out having you pay them upon arrival and issuing a permit, then they leave you a notice asking you to go and pay inside the marina store. No legally enforcing agency is currently involved. I have no issue paying the parking fee! I have parked there for years. So if they are asking you to pay now, no problem. Free was better, but i understand. They have a fee area sign on the road placed near the strawberry visitor center. Anyone accessing the plowed road off highway 40 is being asked to pay the parking fee!!

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2020, 03:13 PM »
People on the other site tend to pee and moan a lot, no problem here paying $12 for access, thanks for posting here Bob.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.