Author Topic: Drill reccomendations  (Read 1382 times)

Online 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Drill reccomendations
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:46 AM »
your 570 inch pound drill should be fine on a 6 inch bit with sharp blades in speed one and dill mode. never push down, if you have to push down to cut you have either dull  blades or a bent cutting head or both. never bang your auger onto the ice. some won't let others use their auger thinking it will hurt it. i allow others to experience it so they can get into it too. some augers cut so fast that you have to lift some while breaking thru to make it cut slower. strikemaster lazers are known to be like that. not always, but it happens. if it happens it can pull you down to the ice until you let go of the trigger. you'll learn what is needed as you go. just listen to the motor on your drill and know about when your to break thru on your cut.

Yes it would turn it but, working in reverse would allow the chuck to loosen if it caught on the ice very hard.  I think it could be an issue.   Reverse mode on a drill isn't really made for cutting or drilling a hole.  It is used to clean the hole or get a hung up bit free.  Thus, I think putting any kind of extended force on the chuck wouldn't be good.

your drill is brand new and under warranty and you have some thing to catch your bit, so you should be good to go. not sure what your worried about except your just getting into drill/auger cutting. we've all been there.

it's not an issue with ridgid tools. i use both directions often. if it ever were to have an issue, it would be resolved for free, so never any worries like that for myself. i buy my tools to use them.

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Do you use both directions in drilling and what do you drill counterclockwise?  Just wondering.  Yes, I am new to using a drill for ice fishing and haven't had much experience using drills, in general.  Yes, I have used them but I'm a novice compared to those who use them daily or for their work.  If anything ever happens to my lazer auger, I'm sure I'll give the jiffy a try.  Thanks for the info.

Offline JH57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:02 PM »
Yes it would turn it but, working in reverse would allow the chuck to loosen if it caught on the ice very hard.  I think it could be an issue.   Reverse mode on a drill isn't really made for cutting or drilling a hole.  It is used to clean the hole or get a hung up bit free.  Thus, I think putting any kind of extended force on the chuck wouldn't be good.

There is a reverse threaded screw through the chuck into the end of the shaft.  To remove a chuck or loosen the chuck from the drill you first have to unscrew and remove that screw, then the chuck can be unscrewed from the shaft.  Tthere are several youtube videos on how to swap out a chuck.

There should be no issues running in reverse.  You'd have to shear the head of that retainer screw off, then the only thing that could happen is the chuck would unscrew itself.  Other than the screw you won't break anything.  If you have a retainer device on your setup you won't lose anything through the ice.

On the Milwaukee chuck, hand tighten it as tight as you reasonably can, then turn it in the direction you would to loosen it until it clicks once, the chuck is locked and won't loosen.  Seems that when you first install the auger bit it's a good idea to re-tighten it and then lock it again after starting the first hole.  If the auger wasn't aligned in the chuck perfectly to start with it will move and seem to have loosened.   You can initially tighten the chuck by holding it and running the drill until it tightens up - but then fully tighten it and lock it by hand.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:29 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • It's not what you look at. It's what you see.
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:37 PM »
Your budget is gonna be there biggest issue.

You dont need a fuel drill for a 6inch, doesnt have to be brushless if your sticking with a 6" auger.

I've used a ridgid drill with 2.5ah batteries and it lasts a day, maybe 30 holes using a 6 inch nils head.

You want as much torque and highest amperage battery as your budget allow

I went with ridgid for the lifetime warranty
I don't care how tough you are. If your 3 yr old daughter tells you to blow on her Dora Macaroni and Cheese to cool it down, you do it.

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:28 PM »
Wow, Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to try my drill again. If that doesn't work I am going to by the Ryobi that was recommended, seeing as I already have 4 batteries and chargers.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:17 AM »
Wow, Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to try my drill again. If that doesn't work I am going to by the Ryobi that was recommended, seeing as I already have 4 batteries and chargers.

The model number for the Ryobi brushless is P251. What do you have for batteries? The black lithiums will work ok but they are a bit more sensitive to the cold. The gray HP Lithium batteries are much better. So you still might be investing a little bit of coin into this set up but can keep it under/around $100. Your current drill might be fine so then Iíd get a newer battery. Hereís a buy two 3ah battery promo right now where itís $99 and youíll get another tool with it...which also includes certain batteries. Or your current batteries might be fine and all you need to do is get the drill. Either way it seems like you are pretty close to having what you need.

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:14 PM »
The model number for the Ryobi brushless is P251. What do you have for batteries? The black lithiums will work ok but they are a bit more sensitive to the cold. The gray HP Lithium batteries are much better. So you still might be investing a little bit of coin into this set up but can keep it under/around $100. Your current drill might be fine so then Iíd get a newer battery. Hereís a buy two 3ah battery promo right now where itís $99 and youíll get another tool with it...which also includes certain batteries. Or your current batteries might be fine and all you need to do is get the drill. Either way it seems like you are pretty close to having what you need.

All the batteries I have are the small 1.8ah ones. But I did see some after market ones for a really fair deal. With good reviews. (for ryobi)

And 'tools direct' is legit? They had a P251 with a big battery and charger for $80. But when I went to look at it again yesterday it was priced at $150.

Thanks for the help

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 16, 2020, 12:06 PM »
Hardwater, thnx for the locking tip, didn't know that!  I will be sure to do it though.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:11 PM »
your hitachi drill should be able to pound out a few holes.  Its not going to be a worldbeater by any stretch of the imagination but if you drill a few holes a trip, I feel like it should suffice.   I've seen smaller makitas, hitachis, craftsmans on the ice for years turn ice augers.   They don't get very many holes, and most were attached to 6">= bits.   

Go slow. if you can vary the speed pick the lowest speed.   Thats the best thing you can do to get the most use out of a drill. 

lastly do not buy a harbor freight jobby.  it will suffice for hanging pictures but the type of abuse drilling holes does, it will not last long.   Lots of pinch points, main brain in the handle burn out quick.  Its got a good battery but not enough to make up for the mediocre components. 

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.