Equipment Board Sponsor Eyoyo Underwater Cameras

Author Topic: Transducer cord in the hole  (Read 2440 times)

Online 3300

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Transducer cord in the hole
« Reply #60 on: Jan 19, 2020, 01:02 AM »
Guessing this would not be Marcum specific?
Keep it safe! JDL

any ice fishing sonar will benefit from fishing this way. the people that remove their float and have to pull their transducer from under the plate will bang the transducer against the bottom of the ice plate and can't see that they are doing so. they also have to put it on ice and normally in a big hurry and maybe not thinking so much about the condition of their electronics as much as landing the fish. every time you hit any transducer you are weakening it more and more. doesn't matter who's brand it is. they all use a crystal. using the float will help to keep the cone shape from going under the plates edge by keeping it more centered than hanging the cable over the edge of the ice hole and it can hold it up from being under the plate. everyone says ditch the float, it's just in the way.

using an arm takes care of those problems and keeps it high enough where you can land fish and leave the transducer in the water even fishing pan fish like i do. having less than inch of the transducer in the water means there's a lot less in your way.
the arm offers way more flexibility than a solid metal eye bolt. might be good for a last resort. i've seen others use two box end wrenches to make an adjustable arm and cut a notch open for the cable to slip in/out.

vex has the eye bolt to hold the transducer up high. i'd ditch it and get an adjustable arm, but then again, i don't use a mechanical flasher anymore.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2020, 02:31 PM »
I wonder if they supply the little beveled rubber grommet or whatever that goes around the transducer cord that fits in the end of the transducer arm like marcum has ???.

I use a spring clothes pin. Easy to adjust distance on the transducer and it floats.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:38 PM »
I use a spring clothes pin. Easy to adjust distance on the transducer and it floats.
[/quote

There is a reason they do not use "clamps" on small cables.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 25, 2020, 09:12 AM »
I've seen some people recently that have bypassed using their floats for their transducers and just hanging the cord over the edge of the hole.  I would think that couldn't be too good for the wires inside.  I can see how the float gets in the way pulling fish up thru the hole.

years of doing this and have never had an issue.

J-

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
« Reply #64 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:07 AM »
Been doing it for 5 or 6 years now, with no problems!  Like I said, I actually use the hook on the handle of my skimmer and grab the ducer cord, and pull it out of the hole.  I'm not sure but I can't remember "ever" pulling it straight out of the hole, without hitting it on the side of the hole.  I have had the prongs come off the transducer and safety cable though.  Luckily the rubber grommets were on!  I don't buy it that you "have" to use the float or you will wreck your transducer!  Sorry  Like they say, the proof is in the pudding and not speculation.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #65 on: Jan 25, 2020, 12:34 PM »
This topic has me thinking...a length of wire protection tubing for the cable and a little electrical tape wrapped around the outside of the ducer. With that said...

I am probably one of the worst when it comes to taking care of my flasher...particularly the cable and ducer. When doing a lot of hole hopping, I've been known to drag it across the ice and snow...not good, I know. But in 20+ years of doing so I have never had an issue. Pretty lucky I guess.

Which is why I am seriously considering my first thought.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #66 on: Jan 25, 2020, 05:06 PM »
This topic has me thinking...a length of wire protection tubing for the cable and a little electrical tape wrapped around the outside of the ducer. With that said...

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=374103.msg4043175#msg4043175

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:26 PM »
To help my hook from penetrating my transducer cable I put this on the bottom 10inches.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:13 PM »
To help my hook from penetrating my transducer cable I put this on the bottom 10inches.

That's what I'm talking about!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Online hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #70 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:39 AM »
Vexilar transducer are pretty rugged ..mine has frozen to the side of the hole with and without the float ...just was careful removing it . As long as your not dragging it on the ice ..or using it as a wrecking ball to break ice in your hole you should be fine .

5:43 mark

1:26 mark

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.