Author Topic: TUCR PN or DH al dente  (Read 2960 times)

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
TUCR PN or DH al dente
« on: Jan 05, 2020, 12:54 AM »
Tuned up customs precision noodle or DH al dente?
I have a TUCR bullwhip that I love but for lighter bites I've been using a St-Croix Legend black with a springs bobber (actually works amazing) but would love
to try another rod.

I use a lot of 1/32 and 1/16 tungsten jigs.

What rod would be best for these weights?

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: TUCR PN or DH al dente
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2020, 07:51 AM »
Can't speak for the al dente, but I own a few TUCR rods including the 32" bullwhip.  I find that my 30" precision noodle is my favorite rod in my arsenal.  You can fish 1/32 oz no problem.  Rod is just so sensitive it will help you with those light baits....surprisingly even though it's a noodle rod I have landed some bigger fish with it, the occasional 3 lb bass or 20"+ pickerel and it handles them pretty well if ya let the fish play a little.  Though my intentions are to strictly target panfish with it but you never know what's gonna grab the other end of your line.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2020, 08:17 AM »
Question to Bigfoot:  do you use a spring bobber and, if yes, do you find it more sensitive than a noodle?  I have both and that spring is just soooooo sensitive.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2020, 11:15 AM »
Both are going to be very similar. If we’re me I’d go with al dente with reg guides instead of recoil. Will save you good money to buy something else. Tucr only offers recoils if I’m not mistaken. Not worth the extra imo. The al dente is a fantastic noodle blank.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2020, 11:18 AM »
I have used a spring bobber before and still have one on one of my other rods.  On days where the bite might VERY VERY light, it's hard to beat a spring bobber.  But for most occasions it's not very hard to detect some of the lightest bites on the PN rod, still like it over the spring bobber.  One less thing to deal with too.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2020, 11:25 AM »
I actually really like to recoil guides on the tuned up rods.  They are very durable, light and don't seem to freeze up bad at all.  In my opinion if your willing to drop over a 100 bucks on a rod they kinda are worth it, but that's just my opinion.  Both will do the job though. 

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2020, 07:46 PM »
Is there a big difference between the Bullwhip and PN when using say a 1/16oz tungsten jig?

Is the tip that much softer on the PN?

There is a place locally where I can pick one up tomorrow but its about a hour drive, I'm really digging the white version also :)
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:08 AM »
Is there a big difference between the Bullwhip and PN when using say a 1/16oz tungsten jig?

Wouldn't say that it's a whole lot softer but a smaller difference.  Definitely prefer to run my smallest of jigs on the PN compared to the bulllwhip.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:13 AM »
I have a TUCR bullwhip that I love but for lighter bites I've been using a St-Croix Legend black with a springs bobber (actually works amazing) but would love
to try another rod.

If you already love the Bullwhip, the Precision Noodle would be a great next purchase. As a matter of fact, it was for me. Then I got a second PN. Those are my main two rods, a BW and a PN.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:17 AM »
If you already love the Bullwhip, the Precision Noodle would be a great next purchase. As a matter of fact, it was for me. Then I got a second PN. Those are my main two rods, a BW and a PN.

X2

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:22 AM »

There is a place locally where I can pick one up tomorrow but its about a hour drive, I'm really digging the white version also :)

It’s soft enough to matter. Not buy going lighter on the Bullwhip, but by going heavier on the PN. The thing with the Bullwhip is that you can go as light as want but you may not be able to detect up-bites as well, but down-bite detection is still superb. It’s weight capabilities max out at about 1/8 oz. The Precisom Noodle excels at those lighter baits. I like to rig a 2.5mm tungsten below a fly. Virtually weightless and the PN does a great job.

The difference lays when you want to use a heavier bait on the PN and you just can’t. That’s where the Bullwhip steps in. For the Bullwhip, I’ll use 5mm tungsten jigs,  small spoons (1/16), and even live-line crappie minnows. Anything lighter goes on the PN unless it’s a spoon.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2020, 12:21 PM »
I have the TUCR Bullwhip & Precision Noodle along with the Al Dente from DH. From my experience, the Al Dente has a lighter tip. I use smaller jigs on it and can still see the tip load just slightly

Offline elliottmills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:42 PM »
to try another rod.

I have a 32 inch bullwhip and also a 30 inch Al dente.  The al dente has been my go to tungsten rod for 3 years. Never lets me down, can run a 2.5mm jig all day Have ran up to a 5mm on it just because.  The bullwhip was my step up to run crappie spoons and largest tungsten. i've been happy with both, but if i had to buy one tomorrow, I'd buy Dustin's Al dente again.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2020, 05:30 PM »
I'm going to check out the PN tomorrow at a local shop.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2020, 05:52 PM »
I have two Al Dentes...wish one was a PN for sure. My bro has a PN and I'm envious of it. Both tips are soft but with the PN you'll be able to detect to up bites better. Both have killer backbones.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2020, 12:43 AM »
So I purchased the PN and got home and compared my Bullwhip to it and what I found weird was my Bullwhip has a softer tip then the PN???

It was a beautiful rod but I ended up returning it for that reason...
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:25 AM »
So I purchased the PN and got home and compared my Bullwhip to it and what I found weird was my Bullwhip has a softer tip then the PN???

Curious what size PN did you purchase?  I wonder if it's deceptive being that the bullwhip has a soft tip that transitions into a stout back where as the PN has a softer transition.  When it comes down to tying on the lightest baits I think that's where you'll see the difference.  That's odd though b/c I thought the they both have almost similar tips but not quite.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:28 AM »

How long have you been using your Bullwhip? I bet your Bullwhip has a slight set in the tip from being used and stored. After about 4 years, both of my PN’s and my Bullwhip have slightly lighter tips than when brand new. All of that goes away when I add bait/jigs and certainly doesn’t hinder bite detection or hookup.

Curious what size PN did you purchase?  I wonder if it's deceptive being that the bullwhip has a soft tip that transitions into a stout back where as the PN has a softer transition.  When it comes down to tying on the lightest baits I think that's where you'll see the difference.  That's odd though b/c I thought the they both have almost similar tips but not quite.

You bring up valid points.

Sorry your purchase didn’t work out for you man.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2020, 12:17 PM »
I feel that the PN and Bullwhip have very similar tips, the main difference is in the backbone. The Al Dente has the lightest/softest tip of the 3 in my opnion

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2020, 04:03 PM »
My Bullwhip is a 32" and I got it last year, the PN I purchased was a 30"

I had no complaints about he PN it was a good looking rod.

I loaded them up with a 1/16 down to a 1/64 and the tips where identical when loaded from those weights, I do wonder if the added length of the BW makes it
a bit more eye sensitive.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 04, 2020, 12:14 AM »
Just a update to a old thread...

Today I received a TUCR Precision Noodle 32" and loaded both up with the same weights as last time, 1/16 oz to 1/64oz.

The PN is ligher in the same length vs the BW and will work amazing for 4mm and 5mm tungsten for those up bites.

I'm gonna smack some big smallmouth on the PN :)

Not sure why people are afraid of using a ligher rod for larger fish???
It seems like the PN's softer action would help keep fish pinned on lighter lines..
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 2020, 08:18 AM »

Catchin' Fish

Offline bwjay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2020, 09:24 AM »
Congrats on the new rod. I got a PN halfway through last season and it very quickly became my favorite panfish rod. Very sensitive tip and a great action that allows you horse in bigger fish. I landed a 3lb largemouth on it on 3lb mono. Just need to use the drag effectively and try to avoid rubbing on the hole! The Clam Half Ant Drop jig was my favorite to pair up with the PN though I of course used other jigs. The crappies and gills love that Half Ant Drop for some reason.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2020, 09:59 AM »
surprised no one mentioned teh pannie dropr
https://www.dhcustomrods.com/product-page/pannie-drop-r-hybrid-noodle-1

I cloned this setup and it has been absolutely lethal the past 3yrs. It is the setup i use for 90% of my panfishing with a 4mm tungsten. Love it! BTW i have built and fished many, many different noodle rods and there is not one that compares to a spring on the tip. Just that simple.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2020, 10:24 AM »
got tired of the bass always coming unbuttoned when using a light rod. Needed more stick to get the hook to stick in their boney faces.

Offline bwjay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2020, 10:39 AM »
got tired of the bass always coming unbuttoned when using a light rod. Needed more stick to get the hook to stick in their boney faces.

I never had issues getting the hook in. Ice fishing jigs have tiny hooks that readily insert themselves into anything. I caught multiple bass and pike on 3/4/5mm jigs using a light powered rod (PN and slightly higher power 2B Lil Nasty).

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2020, 11:52 AM »
I cloned this setup and it has been absolutely lethal the past 3yrs. It is the setup i use for 90% of my panfishing with a 4mm tungsten. Love it! BTW i have built and fished many, many different noodle rods and there is not one that compares to a spring on the tip. Just that simple.

Right I've been thinking of making one for myself this year if time allows

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.