Author Topic: 8 inch strike lite first time out coming up  (Read 7943 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
8 inch strike lite first time out coming up
« on: Dec 26, 2019, 10:54 PM »
I just Unboxed my 8 inch strike lite and plan to try it out this weekend. Anything to be aware of? I’ve heard about possibly needing to lock tite in a screw or to re-tighten the collar piece?

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
Re: 8 inch strike lite first time out coming up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2019, 10:59 PM »
Make sure it is all the way in to the chuck on the drill and tightened down or it will spin in the chuck and destroy the adapter. Other than that it is a VERY fast and easy drill to use. Make sure your drill is set in the low range setting. Be safe out there
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2019, 11:51 PM »
Thanks, will do! Putting it on a new 2804 Milwaukee

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2019, 05:09 AM »
My screw loosened a 1/4 turn the first time I used it, and I noticed some wobble in the adaptor. Tightened it when I got home and its been solid since. Drill setting 1, drill mode, side handle and you'll be good. Enjoy!!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline granule

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2019, 05:49 AM »
I have used a couple of wraps of black electrical tape. Easy to remove crew if necessary, and the screw can't fall out

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Make sure it is all the way in to the chuck on the drill and tightened down or it will spin in the chuck and destroy the adapter. Other than that it is a VERY fast and easy drill to use. Make sure your drill is set in the low range setting. Be safe out there

The adapter has a collar on it..make sure its fully seated in your drill's chuck

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:59 PM »
My drill set arrived.  M18 Red lithium XC 5.0 batteries are charging. Seems like a solid setup!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Drilling/Hammer-Drills/2804-22

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:29 PM »
Good Luck with your set up
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline anv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:24 PM »
The most I dislike about the StrikerMaster Lite-Flite is the StrikerMaster adapter. I don't know why they made the head circular. It cause the drill (Especially the Milwaukee) to not sit in the chuck easily.

If anyone know how I can shave/grind it to more like the hex, let me know.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:41 PM »

I have a Milwaukee fuel drill and didn’t notice it not sitting properly in the chuck. Are you sure you got it all the way bottomed out in the chuck ? As for the grinding, just take the adapter out and use a bench grinder or put it in a vice and grind it with a grinder to make it flush with the hex flats
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:12 PM »
The most I dislike about the StrikerMaster Lite-Flite is the StrikerMaster adapter. I don't know why they made the head circular. It cause the drill (Especially the Milwaukee) to not sit in the chuck easily.

Um....it is a hex head....on mine it is at least

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:33 PM »

that looks hex shaped to me.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:38 PM »
I just bought a Milwaukee 2804-20 and I am debating between the lite flite and the Pistol Bit. I keep hearing about the chuck issues with the lite flite. Anyone have experience with the Pistol?
Tight Lines!

Offline anv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:26 PM »
I have a Milwaukee fuel drill and didn’t notice it not sitting properly in the chuck. Are you sure you got it all the way bottomed out in the chuck ? As for the grinding, just take the adapter out and use a bench grinder or put it in a vice and grind it with a grinder to make it flush with the hex flats

Hmmm...I don’t have those tools available to me. Any other options?

that looks hex shaped to me.
Um....it is a hex head....on mine it is at least

If you look at the first picture, its starts circular then turns into hex.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:13 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the adaptor. This is simply a case of your not inserting and tightening the drill chuck and the teeth down on it correctly. Not trying to be mean or anything, you just need to play around with it a little bit......I take it your not very familiar with using power tools....

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:54 AM »
I just bought a Milwaukee 2804-20 and I am debating between the lite flite and the Pistol Bit. I keep hearing about the chuck issues with the lite flite. Anyone have experience with the Pistol?

I did a head to head review you might want to check out on YT.  I gave the slight advantage to the Pistol bit based on the lighter weight and smoother drilling.   The SM is faster for sure, but I wasn't happy with the adapter wobble.   Sure it can be fixed pretty easy, but a guy shouldn't have to do that.  it should be ready to go out of the box.   

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:05 AM »
I did a head to head review you might want to check out on YT.  I gave the slight advantage to the Pistol bit based on the lighter weight and smoother drilling.   The SM is faster for sure, but I wasn't happy with the adapter wobble.   Sure it can be fixed pretty easy, but a guy shouldn't have to do that.  it should be ready to go out of the box.

do you have a link for the video? I have probably seen it tbh. How exactly do you "fix" the wobble? just by making sure the adapter is all the way in and tightening as best as you can? I will probably end up going with whichever I get a better deal on. Both seem like good options.
Tight Lines!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:15 AM »

do you have a link for the video? I have probably seen it tbh. How exactly do you "fix" the wobble? just by making sure the adapter is all the way in and tightening as best as you can? I will probably end up going with whichever I get a better deal on. Both seem like good options.

I would think a wrap of tape ..masking ..painters etc..and some blue Loctite should fix her up.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:42 AM »

I went with a longer bolt (Metric M8 x 1.25 thread and a nylon lock nut with lock washer)  and really gave it a good torque.

Here's the vid I did:

&t=64s

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:43 AM »
thank you, I'll probably just go with the Eskimo. Seems like easier pay and play
Tight Lines!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:16 AM »
It seems the short collar on the StrikeMaster NDA-3 is worrisome ..I don't recall any complaint about wobble on the Eskimo Pistol Bits adapter by any IceShanys members  ..Dtro can you explore the Eskimo Pistol Bits adapter(w/pictures) as to collar length..and give us a heads up/opinion 

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:36 AM »

I have the milwaukee and the pistol bit..fantastic setup other than mine doesn't have the centering blade..don't find it too big of an issue .. have never had it unchuck from the drill and don't even re-tighten usually..stays locked in and goes forever..nice and light too..

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:42 AM »
Not a true side by side comparison ..but designed diffenty..may be that shorter collar is a problem

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2020, 11:00 AM »
It seems the short collar on the StrikeMaster NDA-3 is worrisome ..I don't recall any complaint about wobble on the Eskimo Pistol Bits adapter by any IceShanys members  ..Dtro can you explore the Eskimo Pistol Bits adapter(w/pictures) as to collar length..and give us a heads up/opinion
   The pistol bit doesn't really have an adapter, well it does, but comes already assembled and ready to go.

The wobble on the SM is caused by the slop between the adapter and the auger shaft.  The bolt has to be SUPER tight because that is the only contacting surface area, if it’s even a little loose it will start to wobble slightly and then compound on itself on each wobble.  It’s not going to fall off, but just really annoying. 

Offline anv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:33 PM »
After some research there was a guy on Facebook that recommended to contact StrikeMaster. I contacted StrikeMaster through email and they confirmed that "some of the newer gen drills had a chuck change" (read attached email picture) and they will ship me a new/replacement adapter.

StrikeMaster email: [email protected]

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:24 PM »
I also noticed the “wobble” with everything tight and seated. I emailed strikemaster, as well.  Thing does cut like a hot knife through butter, though.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:26 PM »

Looks like they say the wobble is normal. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:11 PM »

Looks like they say the wobble is normal.

One more reason to go with a k drill or this years eskimo pistol.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:14 PM »
Dtro good video, Seems like there are so many people out there that have the idea that strike master is so much faster than pistol bit that it warrants their purchase. Less than a second per whole is not enough to make it worth the problems that you’re going to have later in the year with laser blades.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:37 PM »
Dtro....That was an excellent video comparison. You made the tests as fair as they could be.  I was absolutely thinking about getting the Strikemaster Lite but now I'm not so sure. Does the Eskimo pistol bit work with a Clam plate?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.