Author Topic: what made you like ice fishing.  (Read 74536 times)

crowkiller

Re: what made you like ice fishing.
« Reply #30 on: Sep 19, 2006, 12:56 PM »
the cold because the little woman hates the cold so i can go with friends or by myself for the piece and quiet

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Sep 19, 2006, 07:47 PM »
I have the same feelings, why ice fishing?? I own 2 boats and live on a lake in N Minn.... I would rather put on bunches of clothes, load all my junk, freeze, drag it accross a lake drill a whole, get it all set up and fish and then drag it all back home instead of walking down to the dock, jump in one of my boats and fish....Whats wrong with me,?????

Stoney

Substitue Maine for "N Minn" and that's my story.....

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Sep 19, 2006, 08:27 PM »
just getting away from everything. and of course the fish!
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #33 on: Sep 21, 2006, 08:02 AM »
Well I'm a real hot guy (as you can tell from enclosed pic)  ;D So I like to cool off on the ice :D

I don't like the heat so I fit right in with the cool side. Also like the solitute out there.

Offline Redbeard1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Sep 21, 2006, 12:39 PM »
The first time you catch something big,trout or walleye, after popping perch all morning!!!!  INSTANT ADDICTION!! Can't wait to do it again!!!!
PATRICK

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Sep 21, 2006, 01:41 PM »
The second I saw the bright orange flag go up  ;D :tipup: now I see flags in my sleep   :wacko:
Sax

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Sep 23, 2006, 10:49 AM »
Great topic.  I was initially going to say I love it because my Wife hates it, but then I remembered I've been ice fishing since I was a kid.  Some of my fondest memories are taking my Son fishing when he was only 4.  We were sitting in our shanty (surrounded by dozens of others) in a spot where you could normally catch bluegills one after another.  For some reason, nobody was catching anything this day.  All of sudden my Son caught a tiny little gill, and got excited.  He unzipped the door and began yelling for all the world to hear "I caught a fish!".  Several of the guys around us - none of whom I knew - walked over to see it and congratulated him.  It was great.  He's been hooked ever since so it looks like I'll have a fishing buddy for life.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Sep 23, 2006, 03:30 PM »
My dad took me as a little guy. I loved to go even back then. Every one of his buddies would all be ready to go to lunch and I would tell them to leave me I wasnt hungry. Course as soon as we got to the cafe I was starving. I didnt go ice fishing from age 10 until 19. I moved back to Iowa and bought all my own stuff. It was funny how my dads stuff from the 70s looked identical to stuff in the 90s. No spoon augers tho. I catch more fish but sometimes I wonder if I am wringing all the fun out of it to catch more fish. I try to use Schooleys sometimes to take me back. I can remember guys we fished with, dads work buddies and stuff from 25 yrs ago. I still love to go now, solo or in a small group.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #38 on: Sep 27, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Peace & Quiet.  And the anticipatian as you bring a fish to the hole and see it for the first time....just like opening a gift Christmas morning.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #39 on: Sep 27, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Growing up on a lake in wisconsin, we almost always had a shanty out there.  I swear, I could sit there all day watching the dif size perch down that hole....moving the bait away from the small ones and in front of the bigger ones....and then we always had a car or truck that we would take out on the big lake and fish with the tip ups for walleyes...sliding on the ice with my dad, throwing the football, laughing, eating polish sausage on the hibatchi and oh yeah i guess we caught some fish too..what great times!!  We have so many stories about catching fish on that lake when no one else was.  I can remember being out by myself when 10 or 12 and walking back many of dusky evenings with a my chisel slid through the handle on my box full of nice perch, and slung over my shoulder....and having to stop many times cause it was so heavy....

PIKEGUY

« Reply #40 on: Sep 27, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Growing up on a lake in wisconsin, we almost always had a shanty out there.  I swear, I could sit there all day watching the dif size perch down that hole....moving the bait away from the small ones and in front of the bigger ones....and then we always had a car or truck that we would take out on the big lake and fish with the tip ups for walleyes...sliding on the ice with my dad, throwing the football, laughing, eating polish sausage on the hibatchi and oh yeah i guess we caught some fish too..what great times!!  We have so many stories about catching fish on that lake when no one else was.  I can remember being out by myself when 10 or 12 and walking back many of dusky evenings with a my chisel slid through the handle on my box full of nice perch, and slung over my shoulder....and having to stop many times cause it was so heavy....

Which lake perchnut??

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Sep 27, 2006, 07:37 PM »

A crabby woman with a job jar!

Winchester 88 ;D
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #42 on: Oct 06, 2006, 02:45 AM »

A crabby woman with a job jar!

Winchester 88 ;D
a bag of orams donuts and moraine so close by is a good reason       mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Oct 06, 2006, 11:43 AM »
O.K. Here is how I really got interested.
 My wife and I went to visit a couple from our church and when we entered their house thru the garage there was this green canvas covered contraption setting there.
 I inquired about what that was and found out that it was the husbands ice shanty (home made).
 He explained to me that as he worked a lot of hours in the summer he didn't get to fish much on open water so he had taken up ice fishing and in fact he and his son had been up to Moraine Park (1MOFISH) the night before.
 Moraine was my favorite lake at the time and I inquired about what they had caught.
 He marched me off to the refrigerator and showed me a pan full of the nicest crappie fillets that I had ever seen and that really got my interest up.
 Needless to say ice fishing was our topic of discussion (his and mine,I don't recall what the girls talked about,maybe job jars or something ;D) and it didn't take me long to gather some stuff and give it a try.
 My first attempts were not that successful but the memory of the pan full of fillets kept me at it while I gathered info off of any one who new about ice fishing and soon I was hooked. My Christmas present that year was a new auger and then I built a shack big enough for all of my friends to fish in at the same time and it would take all of them to haul it out on the ice.The friends all turned out to be sissies about sitting out on the lake in the cold and possibly falling in, so I found some new friends that loved ice fishing and have been at it ever since. That was back in 1978 or so....

Winchester 88

P.S. 1MOFISH, if you want some day we can get together at Moraine and I will bring the Orams!
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #44 on: Oct 07, 2006, 05:41 AM »
IM IN HOO HOO THE DONUTS ARE THE TICKET. MY stories the same,same year too.same lake used to fish with enough guys to play football.now only me and nookers steve left. muddy creek loaded with crappies might target them this winter.winter is the only time i get to fish. lifes hectic long hours at work wife kidz grass grass grass  :'( :'( nothin like the bitting wind in your face, the sno squalls, the numbing fingers pickin up at the end of the day, the blinding sunshine, the frozen minnow bucket, man i get warm and fuzzy just thinkin about it, i cant wait :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:  mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 07, 2006, 09:08 PM »
a crabby woman with a job jar, now thats funny
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #46 on: Oct 08, 2006, 05:45 PM »
I was hooked on the first day i went caught no fish but the bait we were using kept knocking the flags up but you never know there just could be a big one one the other end. Never let up your guard about the time you think nothing is there it's the big one

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #47 on: Oct 09, 2006, 08:52 AM »
For me, ice fishing is an excuse to combat cabin fever. Something magical happens to the solace, when spending a day on the harsh frozen tundra. When the flags start popping up, cabin fever turns to flag fever. At the end of the day, everyone is happy to be home were it's safe and warm, only to dream of flags and not some far off beach out of reach. Bring on the ice, I can't wait now. paul    ::) :P
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Oct 12, 2006, 08:36 PM »
Gentlemen, for the first 30-plus years of my life I dreaded winter with a passion. Since taking up ice fishing, it seems to have become my passion! Anything that can make you long for 20-below temps is indeed a beautiful thing ...

I summed up some of my feelings about "why I like it" at the end of last year's season: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=35497.

Thanks, guys!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #49 on: Oct 13, 2006, 07:30 PM »
That really is a great story thanks for taking the time to write it

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Oct 13, 2006, 07:54 PM »
Fishin in the winter, tipups, friends. A lot of stuff...its different than fishin in a boat, you cover a lot of ground and can have as many people together as you want. Racing for a flag and throwing elbows, drinking beer, cookin food. Its a lot of things one could do any day of the week but its cold and your able to fish. I like how everyone can work together to make the results better.

I also like how Maine is paving the way and setting the example on how to create trophy pike waters. They really got it down to a science.  ;D

Offline 2inchofice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mass hick and proud
« Reply #51 on: Oct 14, 2006, 02:47 AM »
My first time doing the ice was at a tourny and wondered why I wasn't introduced to the sport sooner.  The list is huge why I love the ice, but I'll say this; I wouldn't be able to move away for a job or anything without having an icefishing season.  I feel for the soldiers and everybody else that has to miss out.
NObody understands ice the way we do.

Offline bmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then Catchem
« Reply #52 on: Oct 16, 2006, 02:21 PM »
Hanging out with my brother, getting some exercise, catching fish and telling stories about it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #53 on: Oct 16, 2006, 04:19 PM »
I was forced to like it by a little ol gal about 5' 10" tall that is an expert at nagging. She doesn't like the ice and I don't like ear plugs.  ;D  >:D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline qflies001

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #54 on: Oct 16, 2006, 06:32 PM »
  I liked ice fishing since i was a small kid. My Dad would take me every weekend , just like clock work.
 I loved it ever since. Since my Dad has pasted away in 97. I just got back into it a few years ago and do i love it

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Oct 16, 2006, 07:17 PM »
For years I fished open water and avoided ice fishing because I though it was too cold and would be boring. Well I fished up until ice-in and right after ice out year after year and it was plenty cold. One year I thought why not and headed out with my brother to try it. Wow, I loved it ever since and am more of a fanatic every season.

-Brian

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Oct 16, 2006, 09:59 PM »
I enjoy ice fishing because I enjoy being outdoors.  The fresh air and solitude clears my head, and the scenery is magnificent.  My one and (almost) only passion is fishing.  Ice fishing is specail, better then fishing out of a boat as there is soo much more room, better then fishing from shore as you can move to the fish.  I can fish as my mood dictates, be active and move around, or sit in the shack and relax as I watch the tip-ups.    I've actually thought about moving futher north to extend the season!!   :tipup:

Offline Rob Wasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Musky Baby!
« Reply #57 on: Oct 16, 2006, 10:35 PM »
Well, my story is a lot like some of yours. 

I started musky fishing about 15 years ago and the guy who got me started also went after these fish during ice-up.  At first I was a little hesitant because of the common horror stories.  You know...falling through, drifting away on a big chunk of ice, frosbite, hypothermia and so on.  However, when I made my first trip the ice was thick and we were catching fish.  I was hooked from that point on.  I found a way to get myself through the winter until the open water season arrived.

Before long I really became a fanatic.  Buying tip-ups, gear and new clothes; exclusively for ice fishing.  Later came reading, trying new techniques and a lot of homework.  Homework that I did prior to ice-up.  That's when I really took off.  I found myself spending countless hours on the hard water different lakes, locations, baits, rigs trying to become just as successfull catching muskies through the ice as I did in open water.  I'm happy to report, that after all this time I've almost made a balance in my catches.  A few more years and I think the numbers may start going the other way. 

I also love the fact that there's not as many anglers out during ice-up and not a skier in sight!!!  What it all boils down to for me are these 3 things:

-Good times with good friends
-A new challenge everytime I'm out
-The thrill of the HUNT!!!

That's right, I said hunt.  I still fish for other species occassionally...but I'M ALWAYS HUNTING WHEN IT COMES TO MUSKIES!

Rob Wasser   
Muskies...All other fish are just bait!

Offline MikeMunn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #58 on: Oct 17, 2006, 12:11 PM »
"I also like how Maine is paving the way and setting the example on how to create trophy pike waters. They really got it down to a science. "

Hood, you're such the trouble maker!  LOL  I'll be at Sabattus fishing for pike, if anyone's looking for me!  ;D

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #59 on: Oct 17, 2006, 02:16 PM »
....you guys are a bunch of ice fishing nuts!   I guess I'm in the right  company,,,ha,,ha,,!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.