Author Topic: what made you like ice fishing.  (Read 74537 times)

Offline fisheraug4life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If ice fishing was a job, then I'd be glad to go!
what made you like ice fishing.
« on: Jul 25, 2006, 03:49 PM »
even though it is not a story.it is the best place to tell stories of why you became obsessed with ice fishing.what made me obsessed was the movie "grumpy old men".
Fish in the shack, while smoking a few cigs. D##n! That's a good day for me.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: what made you like ice fishing.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2006, 06:13 PM »
Solitude and peace are the reasons I love it.

Offline Pat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2006, 07:59 PM »
My nephew held a gun to my head and asked me which I preferred.... like it or die :)

just kidding....

I think it is the chance to get away from everything, hangout with some good people, and the challenge of getting a fish to come to, become interested in, and bite a hook.

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2006, 10:21 PM »
Solitude is definitely great, and I go about once a week by myself.
I think the social aspect of ice-fishing is a large part of it, though.
There's nothing like hanging out with friends and catching a few fish!

Offline TJ Bauer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2006, 10:29 PM »
My Dad when you grow up icefishing you love it before you even know it.

Offline fisheraug4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2006, 07:48 PM »
nice stories.

Offline fisheraug4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2006, 07:49 PM »
also you can add the best fish you caught,best day you went ice fishing,or something else.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2006, 09:04 PM »
Watching the sun rise as you drill some holes and try to get the wood stove cranking.
The smell of bacon, eggs and coffee mixed with the smell of auger exhaust.
Trying to keep your fingers from freezing as you are setting the traps.
Sitting in the shack, waiting for flags, and watching what others are doing out on the lake.
Hopping on the snow sled and visiting other shacks.
The very few lights on at camps around the lake during the cold months.
The feeling that if you make some stupid decisions, you too could become a frozen ice cube on the lake.
Flagggggggg!!!!!
Watching the Bald Eagles swoop down and pick up the fish you toss out a tens of yards from you shack.
The camaraderie.
The fact that the wife loves it.
I don't have a lot of things to do around the camp in the winter.
I could go on....

Offline fisheraug4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2006, 12:41 PM »
wow you like icefishing alot.good for you.

Offline fisheraug4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2006, 03:08 PM »
here is one of my stories.when i was fishing in the shanty one day,i set down my rod and it already got a nibble.then it went down.so i reeled it in and grabbed the fish out and it was a bass.a big bass.hand to god.weird huh?

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2006, 10:18 AM »
I've been ice fishing since I could walk when my dad first took me to local ponds around town in Massachusetts. Ever since I was in elementary school I have attended the annual derby in February in New Hampshire. I only missed it once because I was in the police academy down here in hot, sticky, miserable North Carolina. I drive up every year now and spend all year long just thinking about that one trip. I couldn't care less about the Bahamas, Florida or any tropical vacation. Give me all my gear and point me to a frozen lake and I'll be just fine. My favorite part of it is the peace and tranquility. I love to spend the first part of my trip fishing alone to just clear my head. Then my buddy and my dad and his buddies come up later. For some reason we never catch as many fish as a group as I do while fishing alone. I love catching fish, but ya know what...I'd still be just as happy not catching anything as long as I am on the ice. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2006, 08:32 PM »
fishing a quiet spot on the river ravine....huge early season flakes of snow falling...the odd leaf that hasnt fallen....anticipation as you drill one of the first holes of the season...stretched out relaxin' waiting for the first cold season bite of the year......the crackling of the woodfire keepin your hands warm. fresh footprints in the new snow....its like you're the very first person to touch this spot on earth....your mind wanders everywhere except the real world...its all about friends and fishing...it cannot get better than this....Grump

Offline Michigander

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Friend of Ben Hur On Ice! Hello Muskrat !!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2006, 08:51 PM »
My Grandfather done it all toting me along under his arm - a great outdoorsman / a book full of stories.
Dave Hunt
A Brother Of The Angle
I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me ><>

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2006, 02:34 PM »
My Grandfather done it all toting me along under his arm - a great outdoorsman / a book full of stories.
  Thats what I'm trying to do now too   I take my grandson when I go  and the wife allows me to  lol Hopefully he'll grow to enjoy the sport   last year the minnows caught hell from him   but  oh well happens  ain't scared of bait   lol  Ya didn't know how good you all have it   try changing diapers in the ice shack!    this coming year will be his third year going  Granddaddas company!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 02, 2006, 04:06 PM »
BEER ;D

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 02, 2006, 08:29 PM »
  Thats what I'm trying to do now too   I take my grandson when I go  and the wife allows me to  lol Hopefully he'll grow to enjoy the sport   last year the minnows caught hell from him   but  oh well happens  ain't scared of bait   lol  Ya didn't know how good you all have it   try changing diapers in the ice shack!  this coming year will be his third year going  Granddaddas company!

OMG....had me laughing so hard my sides hurt....changing diapers in the shack....now that's one fish storh I don't think I want to tell others..... :D

Offline fisheraug4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2006, 04:46 PM »
nice stories ;D.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2006, 10:26 AM »
me and some friends were sitting around after hunting season bored and a ice fishing show came on, we said what the hell, we went to walmart that night, bought an auger 1 jigging pole each and 1 tipup each and the next morning we headed out, been in love ever since :tipup:

plus it doesnt hurt that the wife doesnt like to go :D :tipup:

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2006, 11:04 AM »
the fishings better ;D

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

billybono

« Reply #19 on: Aug 16, 2006, 04:34 PM »
  Thats what I'm trying to do now too   I take my grandson when I go  and the wife allows me to  lol Hopefully he'll grow to enjoy the sport   last year the minnows caught hell from him   but  oh well happens  ain't scared of bait   lol  Ya didn't know how good you all have it   try changing diapers in the ice shack!  (Image removed from quote.)  this coming year will be his third year going(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)  Granddaddas company!

me to exactly....thats what got me in!!!!! at age 6 3 times a week  ;D

billybono

walleyechaser

« Reply #20 on: Aug 17, 2006, 02:17 PM »
my dad used to take me pike spearing when I was old enough to walk.  Then I would spear pike after school everyday until I graduated.  Now I don't spear pike anymore but just love to be out there fishing with buddies and having a few beers, catching fish.  Plus there is nothing like chasing flags at the crack of dawn.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Aug 17, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Catch way more fish :) can walk to all the hot spots
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline jlc_hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spam America's New fad diet
« Reply #22 on: Aug 18, 2006, 09:28 PM »
living in upstate new york and watching an old guy slaying perch
I use the 80/20 rule you need 80% of the tackle to catch 20% of the fish

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #23 on: Aug 27, 2006, 08:16 AM »
I used to work with some guys who got me into it.  Now, I use it as a way to fill the time from the end of hunting season to the start of open water.  It's not easy getting into it here near Philadelphia though.  Ice is hit or miss.   :'(  One out of three years, there isn't enough ice to get out without traveling north a good way. :'(  It's frustrating to get the gear all ready in November or December and then not get out.
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline dsmatuska

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Lucky Man.
« Reply #24 on: Sep 08, 2006, 12:27 PM »
Great Topic!

Years ago I'd go ice fishing with buddies that I'd normally go with during the open water fishing season.  We usually had a chisel or a hand auger, no electronics, and bad equipment.  Sometimes we'd go for a day on Mille Lacs (in a rented house) and not catch a darn thing.  (I think it was only an excuse to drink...not that there's anything wrong with that  ;D).  Now I live on a lake in Northern Minnesota  (since Aug. '03).  I am so anxious for ice fishing.  I got an auger and a Marcum two years ago and last year was outstanding (I probably caught more fish last year than I had caught ice fishing all those times in my youth.)  It just seems easier to catch fish through the ice, no bugs, and the beer always stays cold.
I CAN clean fish.  My wife, on the other hand, prides herself in the art of filleting fish.  I mean to tell you, she can fillet ANYTHING, therefore I call myself "The Lucky Man."

Offline jerrychc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Sep 08, 2006, 12:33 PM »
It doesnt take much to hook a person to Ice Fishing. My buddy took me once and then I went on my own the next 5 weeks in a row. There I was sitting on my bucket at a friends farm pond catching blugills, back to the wind it doesn't get any better, until now setting in my Frabil Twin, using my vexilar catching the same kinds of fish. Lost the hand auger now using a power auger.

crowkiller

« Reply #26 on: Sep 08, 2006, 12:35 PM »
my gramps turned me on to the sport when i was 5 and ive been hooked since

Offline tightline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:04 PM »
What got me started was a few times I went with my Uncle when I was younger.  Then didn't go again for years.  A few winters after he passed away a guy I work with invited me to go.  I had all of my uncles stuff so I said sure. I never caught a fish with my Uncle, but after not doing it for years and getting back on the ice reminded me of him.  Now I can't get enough of the ice, and wish it would get here soon.
"My advise to you is get married.  You'll either find a good wife or become a philospher."

Socrates

Offline stoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Sep 11, 2006, 09:07 AM »
I have the same feelings, why ice fishing?? I own 2 boats and live on a lake in N Minn.... I would rather put on bunches of clothes, load all my junk, freeze, drag it accross a lake drill a whole, get it all set up and fish and then drag it all back home instead of walking down to the dock, jump in one of my boats and fish....Whats wrong with me,?????

Stoney

grumpymoe

« Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2006, 09:36 AM »
....Whats wrong with me,?
....chronic icefishing disease....it gets worse just before the start of each new season....not much you can do when it flares up....head in the freezer for a few minutes is about the only known temporary relief.....Grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.