Author Topic: Rod cases?  (Read 9887 times)

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rod cases?
« on: Dec 14, 2019, 08:58 AM »
Just wondering what people use and what your thoughts and opinions are on what cases work best for you.

I’ve seen these two at the local Scheels but would like to hear opinions before i get something.

https://www.scheels.com/p/scheels-outfitters-ultimate-2.0-ice-combo-case/08227100172.html

https://www.scheels.com/p/eagle-claw-ice-rod-carry-case/04770876547.html

Ice Innovations

https://icefishinginnovations.com/product/ice-advantage-deluxe-rod-case/

Then I’ve thought about DIY cases and came across this video of a guy making his own case out of a tactical gun case.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rod cases?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2019, 09:54 AM »
I found a soft case meant for tac rifles on clearance at bass pro. Used contact cement to glue down mini cell foam.  I can get 4 rods in it.  I like the pockets on the outside for tackle boxes and stuff

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2019, 10:07 AM »
You think I'm bring out the rifles and shotguns for ice fishing?  They're just cases... ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2019, 10:12 AM »
My question with the hard cases is where do you store when on the ice?  I have a flipover and one of these cases would take up a lot of room. If you store on the ice, aren't you going in and out to switch rods?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2019, 10:16 AM »
My question with the hard cases is where do you store when on the ice?  I have a flipover and one of these cases would take up a lot of room. If you store on the ice, aren't you going in and out to switch rods?

Yes, that is the problem.

With any additional storage/cases/sleeves.  They will take up additional space.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2019, 10:19 AM »
You guys all bring up valid points. Maybe I should rethink getting a case. I like the pvc pipe for protection. Could use those to store in the bottom of your sled. Then for hole hopping a guy could use bucket with rod holders on it.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2019, 10:22 AM »
I love the Trophy Angler "hybrid case" and just bought a second one at the St. Paul show.

https://www.trophyoutdoorproducts.com/product-page/hybrid-hard-sided-ice-rod-case

It is very light and holds lots. My main reason for the case is just to protect the rods while I transport them.  I usually only use 2 rods and I keep the case outside in my 1 man flip or inside with the larger ones.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2019, 11:34 AM »
I use a hard sided Planning rifle case that I got at Fleet Farm for about $15.  It holds about 5 combos.  As mentioned, I also have to keep mine outside of the shack when I'm fishing.

Last year I rarely brought it, and just went out with 3 poles carried in a bucket.

I may look for something that holds just 3 combos that can comfortably fit in the shack.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2019, 11:56 AM »
I use break down shotgun cases I picked up at Fleet Farm. they fit behind the bench seat in my Otter 2 man. I usually keep 4 in each one & there's room for a couple palm rods. ;)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2019, 12:00 PM »
I have the Frabill ..Eagle Claw ..Flambeau ..and the SI Transporter rod cases/lockers ..along with several soft case/bags ..in the soft case bags and the SI Transporter I have used golf club tubes and the HT rod tubes ..worked great for storage not so great for getting rods in/out  ...the Frabill is nice and rugged ..but you need some space to open it up ,and have to collapse the reel handles..the Eagle Claw is nice opens EZPZ in /out of a shelter ..and for the most part no reels need to be collapsed  ..unless you really try and get a lot of rods in there ...and rods are ready to go..iIadded some Clam Tackle pouches to the mix .The Flambeau is new this season ..I expect it to be very similar to the EC case ..the Flambeau is a tiny tiny bit bigger ..and has 4 slots as opposed to 3 on the EC. The various other rod bags are now repurposed for tip down bases and tip down rods . Out of all the rods bags and case I have ..all have their place .. The SI Transporter holds 5 rods and the inside storage for extra clothes and other items that I take each and every item ..the EC is my second choice that comes out each outing (I now have two )..I got some utility boxes (3500 I believe ) that have yet to be filled with dedicated tackle for the EC cases ..just haven't made the switch just yet from my other tackle storage bags/cases ..but plan on making dedicated rod lockers for various type of rod/reel/species organization. So yes it seems I have tried all the various rod/reel storage options ..what works for me might not work for you .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2019, 12:20 PM »
Videos of items I wrote about in above post

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2019, 02:15 PM »
I love the Trophy Angler "hybrid case" and just bought a second one at the St. Paul show.

https://www.trophyoutdoorproducts.com/product-page/hybrid-hard-sided-ice-rod-case

It is very light and holds lots. My main reason for the case is just to protect the rods while I transport them.  I usually only use 2 rods and I keep the case outside in my 1 man flip or inside with the larger ones.

Will this case hold 36" and 38" rods? I know on the website they say it's 40" long but I'm assuming that's the outside measurement.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2019, 02:35 PM »
These are what I use and work great! They offer ample protection and keep line and jigs from getting tangled. Unfortunately, I need to add these to the discontinued items post, because, like every other great thing branded by Cabelas, they have been discontinued! Unbelievable! You can get a similar rod sleeve from Clam, but they suck compared to these.

Offline Mein4877

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2019, 08:15 PM »
I have the Scheels. Order it online so I didn't see it in person before hand. I don't like the foam in it. I don't like how my rods fit into it. I have the eagle claw and it seems pretty good. I got a Plano gun case with the pick and pull foam in hopes to customize my own. I just took that out completely and it still had foam on the top and bottom. I've fit 12 rods in there. One day I might try to actually customize it. I just picked up this one from bass pro for when I don't need to bring as many rods out. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-extreme-ice-rod-case

I haven't found any reviews on it yet.

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:19 AM »
Are there any hard cases that would hold 8 to 10 combos without modification? Seems like 6 combos is the max from what I'm reading. I have good tackle storage so wouldn't need tackle in the hard cases just the rods. Thinking of buying a more sturdy case than my soft case that I have now?
See ya on the ice!!! Go Packers!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Dicks sporting goods sells golf club tubes that fit over most rods. Just cut to length.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:44 AM »
Will this case hold 36" and 38" rods? I know on the website they say it's 40" long but I'm assuming that's the outside measurement.

The ID is 39 inches but I put 40 inch rods in by tightening the line on the reel a tad.  I get 2 40 inch and several (I think 4 or so) smaller rods. I pack the 40 inch with a reel at each end.

I did not want to get the next size up for the 40 inch rods because they were just too huge for me.

I love this case because it really does protect the rods and it is very light.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:39 AM »
Anybody check out the  2B ICE Rod Case? 
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:42 PM »
Dicks sporting goods sells golf club tubes that fit over most rods. Just cut to length.

X2. Got mine at Scheels for $2.99 each.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:53 PM »

Now I am getting ideas in my head of some kind of Smitty Sled mount with 6 or 8 upside down golf club covers in a 2x4 with holes drilled out.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:59 PM »
I have something like that already. As for as the full case I used a volleyball net case 34x8x4 handles do have to be folded down though.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:21 PM »
The ID is 39 inches but I put 40 inch rods in by tightening the line on the reel a tad.  I get 2 40 inch and several (I think 4 or so) smaller rods. I pack the 40 inch with a reel at each end.

I did not want to get the next size up for the 40 inch rods because they were just too huge for me.

I love this case because it really does protect the rods and it is very light.

Thanks, Gunflint. I might pick one up this winter to try out with my longer rods.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2019, 12:42 AM »
I use a Orvis fly fishing travel case, I can get it to hold 4 rods when I re-organize the slots.
Love it and it don't take up much room.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:26 AM »
I use a Clam rod locker (the smaller version) and am happy with it.  I have 6 rods in mine and could fit two more.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCYKw2YponQ
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:20 AM »
I have been using the Eagle Claw rod locker for a few years now and really like it. It fits behind the seat of my flip over so it is easy to change out rods. It is harder to get open face reals into unless they have handles designed to fold over. I really like the looks of that Scheel's case, I may go get one for this year.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:24 AM »
I switched to the eagle claw case. Most of us don’t need tackle storage in a rod case, but if that’s really what you need, the scheels case is hard to beat. The eagle claw case holds a 42” rod, and I like the fact that the inserts are adjustable. It does have a couple downsides, but a little foam fixed that.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:11 AM »
I've been using a soft-sided Cabela's brand case. I think it is advertised as a 4 rod case, but I get six of them in there. I've had no issues with damage to the rods. I do have issues with the lines tangling in the rods. I might try rod socks to fix that.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Brozy21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:17 AM »
I used to use PVC, but be careful of the edge of the cut PVC where the line goes from the reel into the cover. When traveling and things moving around I have found that it will fray or slightly cut the line.  I tried to alleviate this by leaving slack, but it would tighten itself back up when traveling.

I bought the old blue Scheels case, but hated having to break down my reels. I purchased the Eagle Claw and looks like it will work great. It is close to the new Scheels case at a much lower price. The only downfall are the clips to open and close the case seem a little fragile. I try to open them with two hands so it distributes pressure, as opening with one hand seems to put a lot of strain on the plastic piece.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:32 AM »
I'm able to fit 5 spinning combos and a schooley combo in my Eagle Claw case without folding down the reel handles. I have moved to also keeping other gear in there, including a smallish plane box with lures and tackle, extra spools of line, a couple rattle reels, plastics and jigs. I'm careful not to throw it around, but so far haven't had any issues with things getting tangled or damaged.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:36 AM »
Those are nice cases, but I like my cases like I like my food. Cheap and plentifule.

I took 1.5" pvc. notched j-shaped grooves for real seats and cut a 3" to 4" groove for line.

I screwed four of them to 2x2 and put a rope handle. works great. quick and easy and protects the tips and lures.

I am also going to fit my smitty sled with individual tubes.

I

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.