The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice shelters  (Read 1257 times)

Offline CF1976

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice shelters
« on: Dec 11, 2019, 05:01 PM »
Purchased an Eskimo Sierra Thermal flip over this fall, getting anxious to try it out. Anyone with good or not so much opinions?

Offline Crestliner 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice shelters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2019, 07:38 PM »
Yeah me too, just bought a Yukon XL Jason Mitchell  Elite Series Thermal. Can't wait to use it

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2019, 11:41 PM »
My opinion, doesnt matter what shelter, they are awesome as compared to not having one. You can always find a few things you don't like in certain scenarios or things you want differently about whatever you have. You've got the itch, go scratch it! There is safe ice in the state and the fish are hungry. Stay safe, tight kines, and let us know how you like the new shelter :)
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:23 PM »
I think you'll really like that shelter. I had an Eskimo Quick Flip 2 many moons ago and loved it. When it finally wore out, I replaced it with the Quick Fish 3 hub.  What a mistake! Yeah, the Quick Fish is more roomy And I can actually stand up in it. But, what a pain to set up and take down. Not only that, but you have to have a separate Otter sled and some kind of folding chairs. Once the hub is set up, you have to haul everything from the sled into the shelter.  With the flip over, you just load the sled and go. It literally takes about two minutes to flip over the tent, put the poles in place and you're fishing! When it's time to leave, it's the same in reverse. Everything is already inside the sled, except maybe your auger. You can also put your coats or extra clothes in the sled behind the built-in seats to keep them dry. With the hub, it's hard to keep everything off the ice. You have to drape them over a chair or bucket, or find a way to hang them up.

Offline CF1976

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:34 AM »
I still have the hub shelter that I bought from an old advertiser to the site. Polar Bird is the brand. I think they went out of business. It is insulated and works fine but as you say, kind of a pain if you want to move some to search for fish. Before the Eskimo I used a one man flip over that I bought used for $100, un-insulated. The bottom of the sled wore out last winter. I installed the tracking kit on the Eskimo sled before it hit the ice, so that should help make it last longer.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:19 AM »
Hey Cf - Check out the thread on the main page about welding plastic. Pretty informative and may help you get some more life out of your sled.

Offline CF1976

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:01 AM »
That was really interesting. I may have to try that some time. Thanks MF for pointing that out!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:05 AM »
You bet:) I may buy one too just because of that video lol

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:25 AM »
flip over shelters are the way to go for sure, especially when I do most of my fishing solo. I have a quick fish 6 hub that i haven't used in years. keep it around in case we want a warming shelter out on Crooked Creek.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.