Author Topic: Zippo hand warmers  (Read 2397 times)

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Zippo hand warmers
« on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:10 AM »
I bought a oversized zippo lighter labelled as a hand warmer. Anyone using one and what are your thoughts on this product?
It is listed as 6 hours which might be perfect for my use. 

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Zippo hand warmers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:12 AM »
They were the rage back in the 50's and 60's.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:14 AM »
Ive tried the zippos and they are decent.i run vintage jon e handwarmers and they throw off alot more heat and last over 10hrs.i run both on coleman camp fuel.have done it for 20 years.way better than throw away warmers.some guys think they smell but I haven’t had that problem.keep the pouch open and let them breath when first lit.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:34 AM »
They work pretty well. I've got two of the vintage Jon-E's, still working. Haven't tried a Zippo, but I see they are still made in the USA by Zippo. Stay away from the import ones; I've seen those, and they'e a waste of money.
Used to use them to keep the flasher battery warm years ago...and yer hands.  :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:34 AM »
I have one and I love it. seems better than throwing away a bunch of disposable hand warmers.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:36 AM »
I've got a very old one around here somewhere and they work fine. Fumes can give you a skin 'strawberry' if too close to your body!! ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:49 AM »
The zippo warmers work great. I filled mine up on the morning and it was still warm the next day.

They do have a smell but I'm sure there are worse smells coming from your shanty  ;)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Also To get them to go out just remove the burner top for a minute .weAr a glove.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:52 AM »
They do have a smell but I'm sure there are worse smells coming from your shanty  ;)

I never liked them because they smelled.

Tho only people claiming they didn't smell were people who couldn't smell anything else either. In fact, come to think of it, most were also heavy smokers.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:56 AM »
I run coleman fuel in mine.nonsmoker but i still run coleman fuel lanterns and heaters.maybe im a huffer.lol

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:58 AM »
I never liked them because they smelled.

Tho only people claiming they didn't smell were people who couldn't smell anything else either. In fact, come to think of it, most were also heavy smokers.
Most also had a hole so you could light a cigarette off the burner.
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:00 AM »

That is true! I had forgotten that.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:00 AM »
yep mine do.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:16 AM »
Smell? Big whoop!  But who doesn't love that smell of early season auger 2 cycle exhaust? Just us old pharts?  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:42 AM »
I was going to get one of these then I received an electric one as a gift. Really like the electric one. Makes me feel a bit better than having a fire in my pocket and multiple heat settings. But my electric does not have a hole to light a cigarette. :'(
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:46 AM »
I was considering Zippos because I can't keep my hands warm and recently came across these:  EnergyFlux Enduro Portable Electric Hand Warmer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIMVV50/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used it 3 times now at High school football games and love it.  Has a high and low setting and while I don't use it, it has a power bank too for charging phones.

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2019, 10:48 AM »
If anyone is interested in these, they're currently on sale on Amazon for about 11 bucks, depending on what color you want to get.  Never seen them cheaper.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Don’t need a hand warmer but never thought about using one in a small cooler to keep my battery warm between uses!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:28 PM »
a buddy who owns a bait and tackle and hunting shop gave what he had left in them because he was tired of all of the complaints he got .

personal experience is they choke me out, but so does smoke of any kind. got burned on one and it is easy to get burned on them. the bag they come with is a trick to try to get right so it doesn't get to hot or to cold and go out. tried experimenting with other bags. the bag that came with one fell apart at the seams.

tried the one that uses a stick for fuel and it burnt an expensive ice fishing parka when i opened it to check the fuel and a spark came out.

been using chemical version and bag them when done to reuse them another day. looking into battery operated units such as zippo brand. they also serve as a charger and light on some models.

this one is best rated and over half off for a limited time.
https://www.amazon.com/Zippo-6-Hour-Silver-Rechargeable-Warmer/dp/B075SJB7N1

i read if you put a chemical hand warmer on your wrist where you take your pulse it will keep your hands warm and just use a wrist sweat band to hold it. never tried it tho.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:51 PM »
I tried the link and I was taken to the page with a dog on it and the caption read, "sorry we couldn't find the page".

That is because they were recalled due to the fact that the cheap Chinese batteries would catch fire or explode from time to time.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:51 PM »
Just kidding   ;D ;D ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:03 PM »
I've used the original model and they do a pretty good job.  I would advise using the premium fuel to minimize the fumes.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:45 PM »
I tried the link and I was taken to the page with a dog on it and the caption read, "sorry we couldn't find the page".

i have maybe 80 browser tabs at any given time in each browser i use. when i was researching yesterday, i shopped that hand warmer. today the link has been removed from where they have a wide selection to choose from. the link came from top editors pick. but here is where it lands you going around their link. also, it was a limited time only. the silver 6 hour is sold out is why you get the error. green is still available. it could be from posting on here that they sold out even faster. when you land on the page, just click the green version. it's the same as the silver and same price that is now sold out.
https://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Rechargeable-Hand-Warmers/dp/B0767SLZHJ

reading thru reviews might land you at researching this brand and another ice shanty member spoke well about it in this topic.
https://www.amazon.com/Human-Creations-EnergyFlux-Rechargeable-Warmer/dp/B07GV87ZLD

Offline elliottmills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:45 PM »
I purchased this ...
https://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Champagne-HeatBank-Rechargeable-Warmer/dp/B07Q7KXKSP/ref=sr_1_6?crid=BYWG28OJMWZ1&dchild=1&keywords=zippo%2Bhand%2Bwarmer&qid=1575499358&sprefix=zippi%2Bha%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-6&th=1

in black at farm and fleet about 8 weeks ago.  I've used it 3 days straight in the deer stand and 1 weekend on the ice in Minnesota this last weekend.  So far so good. girlfirend also used it in a pinch to charge her phone last week.

As anything, it's electronic so i've attempted to keep dry hands on it.

I will report in a few months my thoughts.

Offline jdfoxpro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dorothy
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:33 PM »
they sink  :sick:

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2019, 11:32 PM »
they sink  :sick:
How fast did it sink to the bottom?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2019, 05:27 AM »
Yeah I bought 2 of those a few years ago and sold them the same year. Didn't care for them at all. If my gloves aren't warm enough I just wont go out.
<===Lefty===

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2019, 05:55 AM »
I have a couple of the old Jon-e hand warmers that I used to use. One stunk bad and the other didn't stink much at all, figured it was a bad wick on the one that stunk. My son got me a zippo hand warmer for Christmas one year and it work good and didn't stink. But, those warmers aren't worth the time filling and spilling and messing with the fuel. I have a nice collection of zippo lighters I've used over the years also... that's why I started using a bic, the lighter fuel is a pain in the butt.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:02 AM »
I have a couple of the old Jon-e hand warmers that I used to use. One stunk bad and the other didn't stink much at all, figured it was a bad wick on the one that stunk. My son got me a zippo hand warmer for Christmas one year and it work good and didn't stink. But, those warmers aren't worth the time filling and spilling and messing with the fuel. I have a nice collection of zippo lighters I've used over the years also... that's why I started using a bic, the lighter fuel is a pain in the butt.

Exactly, why do we think that electric augers are replacing the gas ones?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:11 AM »

As anything, it's electronic so i've attempted to keep dry hands on it.

Mine nearly went into the lake when it slipped out of my muff in the duck boat. Still worked fine even though it got a little damp. Not that I would recommend it, but it seems to be a sturdy little unit. I have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XYWT8L5/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.