Author Topic: Which Drill Auger is Best?  (Read 2331 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Which Drill Auger is Best?
« on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:17 PM »
Ive personally tried a bunch of the different drill augers out there. Ive settled on the older mora hand auger for mine.

I came across this video comparing the 8" Kdrill vs An 8" Mora using a Fuel drill.Pretty interesting results..

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Which Drill Auger is Best?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:21 PM »
Not sure if its the best but i also use a 8” mora mainly do to cheap and readily available blades.plus i have a bunch of mora augers and blades.i have a 7” mini nero to but im keeping that as a hand auger because it cuts great by hand.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:27 PM »
Not sure if its the best but i also use a 8” mora mainly do to cheap and readily available blades.plus i have a bunch of mora augers and blades.i have a 7” mini nero to but im keeping that as a hand auger because it cuts great by hand.

I was surprised to see how many more holes he got with the Mora. It makes sense that the Chipper style blade would eat thru the battery faster.  I know the 6in kdrill weighs the same as my 6in Mora at 4lb 4oz. I wonder what the weight difference is with the 8in. Would be crazy to see guys paying for this "performance" auger and actually be getting less out of it.

Also worth mentioning, the kdrill isnt a full 8", its actually 7.5in. Which would mean the 8in mora is that much more efficient.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Advantages of the kdrill have nothing to do with speed or battery life

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:32 PM »
I was surprised to see how many more holes he got with the Mora. It makes sense that the Chipper style blade would eat thru the battery faster.  I know the 6in kdrill weighs the same as my 6in Mora at 4lb 4oz. I wonder what the weight difference is with the 8in. Would be crazy to see guys paying for this "performance" auger and actually be getting less out of it.
right.i saw that vid last year and i was only going to run a 5 or 6” auger with my ridgid/9ah battery but after i saw that vid i was like thats a a&& load of 8” holes with 1 battery!!

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:34 PM »
I don't think it should come as any surprise the k-drill drills fewer holes. I think the major advantage of the k-drill is the chipper blades that make it better for opening old holes. I think it's the only one on the market with chipper blades, but I could be wrong. But the drawback is it takes more oomph to cut a hole, which translates to fewer holes overall.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:38 PM »
Another good clip comparing the 8in Pistol Bit to the 7.5in Kdrill.

It held true to the shaver blades being more efficient for hole cutting

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:43 PM »
I think the major advantage of the k-drill is the chipper blades that make it better for opening old holes.

Do you really feel that the ability to open Old holes is a selling point?

I guess what im saying is, If you went to a shop to buy an auger, and the owner told you one is cheaper, lighter, and gets 15-20 more holes than the other one thats only benefit is being able to open old holes..

Which would you pick?

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:58 PM »

I guess what im saying is, If you went to a shop to buy an auger, and the owner told you one is cheaper, lighter, and gets 15-20 more holes than the other one thats only benefit is being able to open old holes..

Which would you pick?

One also holds its blade edge for multiple seasons, breaks through much smoother, has a center point, can overlap holes, has blades durable enough to allow family and friends/kids to use it (smoothness helps with this too), and has a better blade cover. If you hole hop and cut 100 holes a day through 2ft of ice you dont want the kdrill. Personally I cut 10-50 holes a day though 5-20 inches of ice and it works great for me, no maintenance in 4 seasons, and all my buddies end up using it.

p.s.  Mr. Toyota, I don't work for vexilar lol

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:03 PM »
One also holds its blade edge for multiple seasons, breaks through much smoother, has a center point, can overlap holes, has blades durable enough to allow family and friends/kids to use it (smoothness helps with this too), and has a better blade cover. If you hole hop and cut 100 holes a day through 2ft of ice you dont want the kdrill. Personally I cut 10-50 holes a day though 5-20 inches of ice and it works great for me, no maintenance in 4 seasons, and all my buddies end up using it.

p.s.  Mr. Toyota, I don't work for vexilar lol

Ive had my mora now for 5 season and have drilled approximately 4000 holes. Im still on the original set of blades. As for ease of use, i have video of my daughter at 7 or 8 punching holes with it somewhere. Ive also overlapped holes, so im not sure where that became a feature of the kdrill. You do have me on the blade cover. Though im sure I could find a bucket for under 5$ that would be just as effective.

It looks like the Lite Flite also comes with a Center point as well.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:05 PM »
If I had a permanent shack, I would want a k-drill to re-open old holes so I didnt have to move my shack a few feet to be able to fish. Overlapping holes would also be convenient, since the last 2 years I used my Jiffy Model 30 to cut overlapping holes for sturgeon spearing.

I believe the K-drill also has free blade sharpening for life.

Not saying it's the best auger for everyone, I run a Strikemaster Lazer personally, but for some guys, the k-drill is the tool for the job, and other augers can't do what it does. Total number of holes isn't everything.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Ive had my mora now for 5 season and have drilled approximately 4000 holes. Im still on the original set of blades. As for ease of use, i have video of my daughter at 7 or 8 punching holes with it somewhere.

It looks like the Lite Flite also comes with a Center point as well.

You must have sharpened those blades a few times? I wouldn't let a young kid anywhere near shaver blades attached to a drill.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:09 PM »
I can honestly say i have never opened up a old hole or overlap holes either.when i plan on a really big hole i bring the ice saw.well i guess i have reopened a old hole but just chipped it out with a spud.i would like a center point on my auger but no reason to pay 100$ or more over a regular auger that cuts just as fast.i wouldnt let a kid cut with my mora either.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:12 PM »
You must have sharpened those blades a few times? I wouldn't let a young kid anywhere near shaver blades attached to a drill.

Nope, havent sharpened them once. They are the original "made in Sweden" blades. I picked up a spare set at a flea market for 3$ and had a local knife sharpener touch them up for me for 5$. He did it while i waited.

Not sure what the issue is with letting a kid use an auger with shaver blades. Teach them how and guide them as they do it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:19 PM »
Nope, havent sharpened them once. They are the original "made in Sweden" blades. I picked up a spare set at a flea market for 3$ and had a local knife sharpener touch them up for me for 5$. He did it while i waited.

Not sure what the issue is with letting a kid use an auger with shaver blades. Teach them how and guide them as they do it.
my 8” mora walks a bit if you dont start out just right plus break thru is a tad rough and torquey.my 12 year old daughter probably could do it but why take the chance.5” or 6 is alright.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:22 PM »
my 8” mora walks a bit if you dont start out just right plus break thru is a tad rough and torquey.my 12 year old daughter probably could do it but why take the chance.5” or 6 is alright.

Ahh I should have specified. Im using a 6in auger.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:25 PM »
Ahh I should have specified. Im using a 6in auger.
right on.i will also vouch for mora blades being pretty durable.i have at least 3 mora augers that are over 10 years old with no sharpening or touch ups and still cut great.lazer blades are good too.key is Swedish made blades.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:31 PM »

We must have dirty ice here in CT I used an 8 inch mora for a long time and it needed regular sharpening, was a pain. Shaver blades can walk and break your wrist if it gets caught up and if you run into layers of ice with some water/slush it hangs up multiple times and sucks. It's just different strokes, these type of videos IMO are all about getting views, real world use and what someone needs is all based on them not someone else. At this point with all the options it is basically like asking someone what is the best jigging rod.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:43 PM »
We must have dirty ice here in CT I used an 8 inch mora for a long time and it needed regular sharpening, was a pain. Shaver blades can walk and break your wrist if it gets caught up and if you run into layers of ice with some water/slush it hangs up multiple times and sucks. It's just different strokes, these type of videos IMO are all about getting views, real world use and what someone needs is all based on them not someone else. At this point with all the options it is basically like asking someone what is the best jigging rod.

Same here, back in the day I was lucky if I made through one full season with good Mora blades.  IMO, this topic is beaten absolutely to death.  I can see the discussion being somewhat useful for a beginner looking to gear up, but that's about it.  I never imagined so much talk about putting a hole in the ice.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:00 PM »
We must have dirty ice here in CT I used an 8 inch mora for a long time and it needed regular sharpening, was a pain. Shaver blades can walk and break your wrist if it gets caught up and if you run into layers of ice with some water/slush it hangs up multiple times and sucks.

Im guessing your mora had the "Made in China" blades. Those were absolute trash.  Ive never had issues with the flat profile of the mora style shaver blades getting hung. I have had the curved blades, like the strikemaster hand auger, grab when punching tough the last bit of ice. Which is why i opted for the mora.

I understand people spend alot of money on these augers, and have to justify that purchase to themselves. That being said, most have never tried the older hand augers on a drill. They just went with what was new at the time. Nothing wrong with that of course.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:23 PM »
Im guessing your mora had the "Made in China" blades. Those were absolute trash.  Ive never had issues with the flat profile of the mora style shaver blades getting hung. I have had the curved blades, like the strikemaster hand auger, grab when punching tough the last bit of ice. Which is why i opted for the mora.

I understand people spend alot of money on these augers, and have to justify that purchase to themselves. That being said, most have never tried the older hand augers on a drill. They just went with what was new at the time. Nothing wrong with that of course.

Nope, swedish. I'm not justifying anything, 200 bucks for a piece of fishing equipment is not "a lot" of money to me, compared to saltwater gear it's cheap. I used a mora 8 inch for the first 20 years I've been Ice fishing, but didn't like it on a drill and still don't, regardless of how cheap it is.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:01 PM »

Which would you pick?

The people with wheel houses and permey shacks would want one that reopens holes the best

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:48 PM »
The people with wheel houses and permey shacks would want one that reopens holes the best

I agree, they are the best for that purpose. But i think we can all agree that a majority of the kdrills purchased arent purchased for use in wheel houses or permy shacks, or for their ability to re-open old holes for that matter.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Absolutely right, pistol bit reopens holes.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Found this reply from 2012 on another forum in response to someone asking about the difference between using a Mora vs Lazer bit on their drill. Just goes to show how far the industry has come in a few short years.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Everyone's opinion is wildly different on this topic. All depends on your fishing style and budget. I solely used my 8" Nils paired with a Ridgid Octane last season, and was super happy with it. I drilled through 115ft of ice, 136 holes on one 9ah battery charge. I picked up the new Strikemaster Lite Flite this year, and already like that better than the Nils. Its 1/2 the weight, seems to be a little faster, the cost of replacement blades is $50 compared to $120+ with the Nils. Don't get me wrong, the Nils is an amazing auger, but I feel it falling behind a little with the newer augers that are on the marker. When it comes down to it, any auger will make you a fine hole to fish out of!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:04 PM »
Everyone's opinion is wildly different on this topic. All depends on your fishing style and budget. I solely used my 8" Nils paired with a Ridgid Octane last season, and was super happy with it. I drilled through 115ft of ice, 136 holes on one 9ah battery charge. I picked up the new Strikemaster Lite Flite this year, and already like that better than the Nils. Its 1/2 the weight, seems to be a little faster, the cost of replacement blades is $50 compared to $120+ with the Nils. Don't get me wrong, the Nils is an amazing auger, but I feel it falling behind a little with the newer augers that are on the marker. When it comes down to it, any auger will make you a fine hole to fish out of!!

I don't know if you can really say Nils is falling behind. It's not the new shiny penny on the block anymore......which happens to everything. I do believe it is the most versital auger out there. If your nils isn't sharp it might be why it's not faster then the new auger. $5 says if Frank Deluca sharpens it that it beats the lite flite. Nils is pretty much THEE fastest smoothest cutting auger if the blades are sharp, and has been beating the lazer style pretty consistently. The cost and sharpening of the cutting head does suck, and a spare cutting head is a little expensive....but look at how much steel you are buying vs just a set of blades.  I've been tempted myself to get an Eskimo pistol.....not because I need it, or because it will do anything different......but because it is the shiny new penny.......which every shinny new penny dulls over time. I bought a couple Black Betty 6061 reels.....the fad wore off. I sold 3 off on Craigslist today.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:16 PM »
To get back to the question, the best one is the one that works for you. With so many options you should try them all, then you'll know for sure. Honestly you can easily get these drill augers when they are on sale and if you feel like trying a different one just sell it on Facebook, you'll probably be able to get what you paid, then use the money to try the next newest best one....repeat....simpl e

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:27 PM »
I used a mora 8 inch for the first 20 years I've been Ice fishing, but didn't like it on a drill and still don't, regardless of how cheap it is.

Funny, but my 8" mora doesn't work worth a crap on my drill either. 6" mora works great. 7" Nero works great. the 8" mora sucks for some unknown reason.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2019, 10:01 PM »
I had an 8" mora and a 7" mora. Didn't like either on my 2704 Milwaukee. Walked a ton, twisted awkwardly on break through, just overall wasn't comfortable with either and both were running brand new Swedish blades. Went to a 6" Nils and I am a fan-boy now. I've had a ton of people come up and ask to see what I'm running. Everyone comments about how quick it cuts and light and easy it is to use. Although I will say I did cut  8 or 9" out of the shaft and welded up my own adapter with a real thin lightweight disk. It's awesome and it's gonna take a heck of a new idea for me to swap to something different. Never ran a k-drill, if I get a chance I'd like to just to compare side by side.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.