Author Topic: braided line  (Read 4418 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: braided line
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2019, 04:37 AM »
  This helps some , can apply to guides and line

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Most of my fishing is in 30ft or less, so I use fireline more as a backing, with 20-30ft of 6lb floro as the working line/leader. That way it’s just floro in the water and it doesn’t ice up nearly as bad. I just want to find some of this dura/super cast to try on my lake trout setups, since I rarely set up my shack to fish in.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Nov 28, 2019, 08:48 PM »
I was throwing Nano on 1 rod and Mono on the other yesterday. 15-23 F. Wind at 20 mph. The nano was much less stressed by the cold temps than the mono. I thought it woulda been the opposite!

Heres what they eating:

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 28, 2019, 08:59 PM »
I prefer braid on all my spinning reels.  I will fight the icing up over the memory in other lines.  Not many days is it cold enough to make much of a difference anyways.

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 29, 2019, 07:26 AM »
I ice fish mostly at over 100 feet deep water for lake trout (laker) and lake whitefish (whitey), so yes I only use braided line, which helps with setting hook quickly:-)
Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline Tepuilover

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Looking for ICE fishing buddy out of the 80918
« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2019, 05:17 PM »
I've used braided line during the summer/fall only when fishing for big salmon. I have one rod/reel that I plan on loading it with braided line. One thing I hate is that it can cut you good if you are not careful.
Rob

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I like nanofil for a while, but after pulling ice beads off it degradation sets in.  It frays, and then breaks when you hook that laker when you're fishing for perch.  I've had it happen a couple of times.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2019, 08:02 PM »
The added sensitivity, strength, no line twist and reduced diameter are all desirable braided line attributes.

I personally don't need that added sensitivity for the waters and fish I go after.
And although I do like the line twist alleviation, I do not have confidence in my blood knot tying so I will not use braided line either as a leader or attached to a backing.

I love mono, because the shock absorption and stretch are critical for me. I do not like line twist though so I'm always conscious of that.
Try an alberto knot its easy and way better than a blood knot imo
Salmonemia

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 06, 2019, 01:10 PM »
I don’t know if it’s brand specific but the fire line that i use on 2 of my reels shows up on my Vexilar and pollutes the image. I think it’s air bubbles trapped in the line. I prefer limp mono.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Dec 06, 2019, 01:11 PM »
I like nanofil for a while, but after pulling ice beads off it degradation sets in.  It frays, and then breaks when you hook that laker when you're fishing for perch.  I've had it happen a couple of times.

This exactly!  But I still use it. :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Dec 06, 2019, 01:13 PM »
I don’t know if it’s brand specific but the fire line that i use on 2 of my reels shows up on my Vexilar and pollutes the image. I think it’s air bubbles trapped in the line. I prefer limp mono.

Maybe its flasher brand specific ;). My Marcum has no problem with Nano.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 06, 2019, 01:21 PM »

If you're not in such a rush holding it your hand for a few seconds melts the ice enough to let it slide without shredding.

I've seen that with a number of superlines. Braids tend to be worse than fused but it generally goes away in just a bit. It is kinda weird though, like what got dumped in the hole?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 06, 2019, 06:42 PM »
Fireline shows up on panoptix too, kinda handy for lining up sonar to see you lure when casting.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #43 on: Dec 06, 2019, 10:50 PM »
Yes, the air bubbles on the line will show up on sonar.  Amazing how that works but at times, trying to get just the lure to show is a pain.  Even mono and fluoro will show if there is  air bubbles on the line or gain is set high to pick up all that clutter.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.