Author Topic: The Round Goby Invasion!  (Read 939 times)

Offline J-M1983

• IceShanty Rookie
The Round Goby Invasion!
« on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:08 AM »
Hey guys, I'm from Southern Ontario and fish Lake Simcoe often in the winter. There's been a dramatic shift on how we ice fish for Lake Trout and Whitefish due to Round Gobies taking over the lake. I wrote a little article about it and what baits we use to catch these fish. Are you guys experiencing any of the same things with the invasion of Gobies or any other invasive fish which has changed the way you fish?
Here's a link to the article, let me know what you think:
https://www.fishingsimcoe.com/articles/the-round-goby-invasion-and-its-influence-on-angling-tactics

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The Round Goby Invasion!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Hey guys, I'm from Southern Ontario and fish Lake Simcoe often in the winter. There's been a dramatic shift on how we ice fish for Lake Trout and Whitefish due to Round Gobies taking over the lake. I wrote a little article about it and what baits we use to catch these fish. Are you guys experiencing any of the same things with the invasion of Gobies or any other invasive fish which has changed the way you fish?
Here's a link to the article, let me know what you think:
https://www.fishingsimcoe.com/articles/the-round-goby-invasion-and-its-influence-on-angling-tactics

Yes not everyone listens to me but I get the biggest bait I can that is below pike bait when I'm fishing for perch in lake Ontario because of the gobi invasion
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:48 AM »
Coupla years ago we went with a guy on Green Bay for whitefish. Fished in 65 FOW and targeted gobies as the forage. Literally danced appropriate colored Jiggin' Raps and Shiver Minnows in the mud to catch fish. conventional lift and drop tactics got zero bites. If you lifted more than 3 inches you got no bites. Just jiggle in the mud until a whitie comes and pins it to the bottom. Got plenty of fish and ours were generally bigger than most others fishing classic spots in conventional ways. Real eye opener for me.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline J-M1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Coupla years ago we went with a guy on Green Bay for whitefish. Fished in 65 FOW and targeted gobies as the forage. Literally danced appropriate colored Jiggin' Raps and Shiver Minnows in the mud to catch fish. conventional lift and drop tactics got zero bites. If you lifted more than 3 inches you got no bites. Just jiggle in the mud until a whitie comes and pins it to the bottom. Got plenty of fish and ours were generally bigger than most others fishing classic spots in conventional ways. Real eye opener for me.

Thats just like Simcoe. Gotta keep that bait right on bottom.....the whitefish will pin your bait down on the bottom..

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Here is a pretty interesting episode filmed on the bay of Green Bay that explains just what you are reporting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IOEbKNgns_E

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.