Author Topic: Air Fryer  (Read 2566 times)

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Air Fryer
« on: Nov 17, 2019, 06:42 AM »
My daughter got me a air fryer two Christmases ago I only used it a couple of times....well thing are going to change.....I put a table spoon of olive oil in a Ziploc bag and added crappie fillets sorta got them lightly coated dipped them in 4'c Italian bread crumbs. Cooked on 400 degrees for 6 minutes.......I'll never fry fish again......lightly browned,moist and delicious.... I never thought fish could be so good without frying.....Try is your going to like it....another thing clean up is a breeze,No stinky deep fryer grease,No straining the grease....why did I start doing this 2 years ago. lol

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Air Fryer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2019, 06:50 AM »
We love the one we have. Use it a lot...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2019, 06:56 AM »

We have had 1 for 2 years and we like it
  And your right clean up is a snap

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:04 AM »
Never taste as good
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:15 AM »
I don't have one  - maybe I will get one now. 

I thought they were a gimmick.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:15 AM »
Hmmm fish is the only thing in my air fryer I didn’t like.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Try my recipe.....don't follow recommending cooking time....15-20 you'll ha e potatoes chips....lol

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:57 AM »
I've done chicken and had it turn out pretty good.

Saw this in the store last week, anyone try it yet:?

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Is there a particularly good brand or model of air fryer?   Would be mostly used for fish and maybe wings.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Is there a particularly good brand or model of air fryer?   Would be mostly used for fish and maybe wings.
Baetis… I'm doing some research also to see if that's the way I want to go. Consumer Reports and Amazon both seem to give balanced reviews but I'm wondering about the whole technology of the things which are basically souped up hair dryers. I'm a fried chicken wonk and took a look at air fryers earlier this year to see if they might be somewhat less messy than my electric skillet for chicken. The problem, I learned, is that air fryers don't generate that Maillard Reaction which changes the amino acids to produce the browning that gives fried foods such an appealing flavor. Can't give that up. The search goes on.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2019, 09:42 AM »
I won't use or own an air fryer because I've been on four house fires that were caused by them in two years.  I don't know what the people did wrong or which make or model they were since they were a melted blob of plastic after the fire.  I can't say if the problem is with a specific make and model or what was done wrong but I'm not going to chance it.  I'm not telling anyone not to get one but just keep a good eye on it in case something does go wrong. 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:12 AM »
I won't use or own an air fryer because I've been on four house fires that were caused by them in two years.  I don't know what the people did wrong or which make or model they were since they were a melted blob of plastic after the fire.  I can't say if the problem is with a specific make and model or what was done wrong but I'm not going to chance it.  I'm not telling anyone not to get one but just keep a good eye on it in case something does go wrong.

Thank you for the heads up. Nice to take the time to warn me. Appreciate it.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:13 PM »
I know it is not a air fryer but, if you want to check out the I think ninja foodie? Anyway I am just getting into pressure cooking and saw that unit has a browning features well as an air fryer function. Way too expensive for me but, if you just not air fry it seems like it would give you way more options.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:42 PM »
I know it is not a air fryer but, if you want to check out the I think ninja foodie? Anyway I am just getting into pressure cooking and saw that unit has a browning features well as an air fryer function. Way too expensive for me but, if you just not air fry it seems like it would give you way more options.
Keep it safe! JDL

I'm using a foodie, didn't have an air fryer or pressure cooker, so got the Ninja since it's both. Use it quite a bit, only function I haven't tried yet is the dehydrater.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2019, 02:37 PM »

I'm using a foodie, didn't have an air fryer or pressure cooker, so got the Ninja since it's both. Use it quite a bit, only function I haven't tried yet is the dehydrater.
oh didn’t see it had the dehydration function. Kool!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2019, 02:42 PM »
Thank you for the heads up. Nice to take the time to warn me. Appreciate it.

You're welcome, I try to help people out however I can.  I wouldn't want to see anyone have their home catch fire, even if the damage isn't too bad it's devastating to the people especially when sentimental items are damaged or lost and can't be replaced or fixed.

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Love my air fryer, and use it multiple times a week. Chicken wings turn out excellent. Even cooked some steaks that also turned out good.

The Shore Lunch oven style works well with fish being cooked in the air fryer.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2019, 08:48 AM »

The air fryer is great I have the Cosori model with rotisserie works great and the food comes out delicious.
I cooked the trout I caught yesterday on air fryer mode came out awesome! Fell of the bone(s) tender!
highly recommend !

smitty :tipup:

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Question:

Is an air fryer really just a tiny convection oven?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2019, 09:20 AM »
yes

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2019, 09:53 AM »
I was gifted one and we used it about a half a dozen times on various foods before i donated it to someone at work.   We have a guy who I fish with a ton who swears by it and has cooked food for us on it multiple times and each time it reinforces my decision to give it away. 

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2019, 10:01 AM »
yes

I have a full sized convection oven in my kitchen. Please help me understand how adding a Susie Homemaker sized version will enhance my fish cooking skills.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2019, 10:03 AM »
I have a full sized convection oven in my kitchen. Please help me understand how adding a Susie Homemaker sized version will enhance my fish cooking skills.

That was exactly my question.  I have a microwave with convection and an oven with convection. Is the "air fryer" better in some way?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2019, 10:16 AM »
Air fryers are a waste of money IMO. We had one, all it is a small convection oven. It doesn't fry anything. Doesn't cook well and you need to do small portions at a time. Either use the oven to bake it or deep fry it.

sunniewally

« Reply #25 on: Nov 18, 2019, 11:45 AM »
I like my air fryer for chicken wings, drum sticks french fries or things like that, salmon, or bigger chuck of bake fish, pork steak, boiled eggs, lot of recipes I haven't tried, but for me, panfish fried in cast iron is the only way! Have to be very careful because The heat come out the back and its very hot. could cause a fire it it was too close to a wall. I'm an old widow so I don't need to cook big meals so heating up the oven is a waste for me.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2019, 11:57 AM »
I like my air fryer for chicken wings, drum sticks french fries or things like that, salmon, or bigger chuck of bake fish, pork steak, boiled eggs, lot of recipes I haven't tried, but for me, panfish fried in cast iron is the only way! Have to be very careful because The heat come out the back and its very hot. could cause a fire it it was too close to a wall. I'm an old widow so I don't need to cook big meals so heating up the oven is a waste for me.

Apparently size matters.  Small amounts are good in the Suzy Homemaker size ovens instead of the large ovens. I think I will try this in my small microwave with convection. Should work.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2019, 11:59 AM »
I use the air fryer to cook small meals. One or two trout is perfect for the air fryer instead of heating up the big oven. My son and I are the only ones to eat fish. Also not into deep frying any more although I do like fried food but once i hit a certain age deep fried food does not like me!!!! So I needed to improvise and the air fryer works for me. Everything might not be perfect there is some trial and error involved. With that said I will not cook steak or burgers in this those belong on the grill !!!! But most everything else I like to cook in the air fryer it also has a rotisserie.                       Awesome grilled cheeses too!!!
Like everything else in this world some like some don't  like...Capiche? ;D

smitty :tipup:

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Baetis… I'm doing some research also to see if that's the way I want to go. Consumer Reports and Amazon both seem to give balanced reviews but I'm wondering about the whole technology of the things which are basically souped up hair dryers. I'm a fried chicken wonk and took a look at air fryers earlier this year to see if they might be somewhat less messy than my electric skillet for chicken. The problem, I learned, is that air fryers don't generate that Maillard Reaction which changes the amino acids to produce the browning that gives fried foods such an appealing flavor. Can't give that up. The search goes on.

Done in an air fryer. Split roaster chicken. Looks and tastes very much like fried chicken.

Pete Lewis

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2019, 02:47 PM »
Air fryer is great for reheating already cooked or fried foods. Quicker than big oven and not heating kitchen as much. We use ours for chicken wings, leftover pizza, leftover fried foods.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.