The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ion G2 Auger Bit on Gen 1 Powerhead  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
Ion G2 Auger Bit on Gen 1 Powerhead
« on: Nov 17, 2019, 06:22 AM »
Hello, 

Does anyone know if the new ion G2 auger bit will fit a previous generation Ion powerhead? I understand that it would have to be purchased in pieces as replacement parts as I don't see the complete unit being sold.

I am assuming the majority of the weight savings for the new G2 would be in the auger bit and being a current owner of the Ion X 10" would like the option of having an 8" bit with less weight for certain lakes and would also like the benefit of being able to switch bits instead of going the drill route.

Another question I have is the durability of the new type lite fightings being used on these drill units or Ion G2.  I always have issues in the extreme cold with the auger bits icing up.  I tend to chip the ice off with the but end of my ice scoop and never really worried about breaking the metal auger bit.  I have lost some paint off it mind you.  I realize I could bring it inside the hut to thaw out but wonder how the plastic ones hold up to banging the ice off.  I do use wax and sprays to help alleviate the icing up but it is unavoidable in some conditions.

Thanks.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Ion G2 Auger Bit on Gen 1 Powerhead
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2019, 02:24 AM »
Hello, 

Does anyone know if the new ion G2 auger bit will fit a previous generation Ion powerhead? I understand that it would have to be purchased in pieces as replacement parts as I don't see the complete unit being sold.

I am assuming the majority of the weight savings for the new G2 would be in the auger bit and being a current owner of the Ion X 10" would like the option of having an 8" bit with less weight for certain lakes and would also like the benefit of being able to switch bits instead of going the drill route.

Another question I have is the durability of the new type lite fightings being used on these drill units or Ion G2.  I always have issues in the extreme cold with the auger bits icing up.  I tend to chip the ice off with the but end of my ice scoop and never really worried about breaking the metal auger bit.  I have lost some paint off it mind you.  I realize I could bring it inside the hut to thaw out but wonder how the plastic ones hold up to banging the ice off.  I do use wax and sprays to help alleviate the icing up but it is unavoidable in some conditions.

Thanks.

Simply buy the Eskimo pistol bit. It is the same thing just red Vs green.

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2019, 09:14 PM »
Thanks that did cross my mind but I assumed the pistol bit was designed to attach to a 1/2" drill where the Ion's Powerhead slides into the auger shaft. 

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2019, 05:46 AM »
Thanks Van Noord. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.