The Ice Fishing MA is board sponsored by:

Author Topic: Shiner trapping  (Read 654 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Shiner trapping
« on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Hey guys, I have tried trapping for 3 years with no luck. Any suggestions on types of water to trap in, lakes, ponds, streams, current or no current etc. I have tried many different types of water as well as bread, cat food, dog food, crackers etc. This year I have a nice bait tank using a chest freezer, pond filter and pump, and a unit I plug the freezer into with a thermometer that goes in the water. You set the temp and the unit turns freezer on and off to keep it at required temp. I just cant seem to figure out the trapping technique.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shiner trapping
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:29 PM »
Pm sent
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2019, 12:47 PM »
I trap a small brook 20 yards downstream of a dam. I use silver traps they work better then the black ones from what I have found. I use hard rolls broken in 1/4 s only 1 or 2 pieces per trap and check the trap every day. It usually starts slow 2 to 10 shiners at first but by the end of a week i have pulled 6 dozen. It gets better the longer you trap. I havenít bought bait in a few years. Use camo rope on your traps it helps hide them better.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2019, 05:22 PM »
I havenít bought bait in a few years. Use camo rope on your traps it helps hide them better.
The Last year that I bought bait, I was buying 3-4 dz per week (I was also working at the time). since I have been trapping and catching my own bait (now retired 2 yrs), I have been using jigs with spikes, waxies and plastics. Last year, I gave away several dz shiners and I, personally used 4 shiners! I primarily used plastics

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.