Author Topic: Cordless fillet knife?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cordless fillet knife?
« on: Sep 21, 2019, 04:00 PM »
I know people are a little divided when it comes to using an electric fillet knife let alone a cordless one. What experience do you guys have with them and how do they compare to a 110v one? I saw a bubba cordless knife at fleet farm and it sparked my interest. They are pretty new to the market so there aren’t many reviews on them yet. Amazon reviews are very divided, I mainly clean a lot of panfish and the occasional walleye and catfish.

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cordless fillet knife?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2019, 07:51 AM »
I bought a cordless rapala last year. I think it was around Black Friday they were on sale on amazon for like 30-40% off. I love mine. No cords to get in the way. Havent used it a whole lot honestly also cause I haven’t been fishing as much this year tbh.

Offline YukonClam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:04 AM »
They are a nice knife have had two of them.  Recently purchased a Bubba cordless - I really like it and the variety of blades that come with it.
If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."

Zane Grey

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:13 AM »
Biggest issue I've heard is it rips more than it cuts,  sad if that's true considering they're a knife company

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:13 AM »
Cordless or not, get the heavy duty rapala. Best electric fillet knife on the market IMO

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2019, 11:19 AM »
I got the rapala lithium ion cordless this spring and love it. I used it all summer and only had to change the batteries once. It works well on everything from panfish to large trout.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2019, 01:29 PM »
I have an American angler electric knife that is probably 15 years old and has never let me down. It’s starting to slow down a bit, could be that it still has the original blades as well. I will get either the bubba or the Rapala cordless.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:04 PM »
I have an American angler electric knife that is probably 15 years old and has never let me down. It’s starting to slow down a bit, could be that it still has the original blades as well. I will get either the bubba or the Rapala cordless.

I have one also along with a Rapala lithium cordless. The Rapala has about half the power and speed as the AA, so usually I just use a conventional when there isn't power available.

WS

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2019, 03:24 PM »
I got the rapala lithium ion cordless this spring and love it. I used it all summer and only had to change the batteries once. It works well on everything from panfish to large trout.

Same here. It's awesome. Unlike Whopper I haven't see any issues. Then again, I only have experience with a Mister Twister electric knife, not an American Angler one. All I know is that I love the Lithium Ion. Make short work of salmon compared to a traditional knife.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:12 PM »
I have one also along with a Rapala lithium cordless. The Rapala has about half the power and speed as the AA, so usually I just use a conventional when there isn't power available.

WS
Is your Rapala the heavy duty one?

Just an FYI, the American Angler knives from 15 years ago aren’t the same as the ones today. The new AA knifes are half the power and half the speed as the old ones. My FIL bought one after using his friends AA knife. Which was an old one. The new one was nothing like it. It was garbage and that’s where it went after a few uses.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:21 PM »
i have the heavy duty corded rapala and love it.  got the lithium cordless rapala and love it too.  it has almost as much power as the corded heavy duty but not quite.  either way i love both knives and they both have their place in my world.  really looking at getting the bubba knife set with the multiple blades and extra battery.  i have cleaned enough fish in one setting last year a few times to run the battery down enough to have to plug in the corded knife to finish the job. 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2019, 05:35 AM »
Is your Rapala the heavy duty one?

Just an FYI, the American Angler knives from 15 years ago aren’t the same as the ones today. The new AA knifes are half the power and half the speed as the old ones. My FIL bought one after using his friends AA knife. Which was an old one. The new one was nothing like it. It was garbage and that’s where it went after a few uses.

I would have to look, I have the original packing and case. My luck, it was the first run and they have changed since. I know a nice kid that will be excited to get it for Christmas this year. It works, it's sharp, just not half the spunk as my AA which yes, is probably at least 15 years old. I made note of your comment on the new AA's Thanks.

WS

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2019, 07:46 AM »
I have an old AA that works fine, just picked up a new one and really didn't notice a difference, though I use mine for pan fish.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2019, 08:12 AM »
I got the rapala cordless lithium ion fillet knife. I love it! Plus, i switched the place i clean my fish to the back yard. Laying out extension cords stinks. Plus i can clean my fish and not worry if it's sprinkling.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.