Author Topic: AUGER WARS StrikeMaster Lite Flite ..Kdrill .Eskimo Pistol bit on Milwaukee Fuel  (Read 665 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Team IceShantyholic
Looks like Chipper ...Shaver...Lazer blades .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
chippers will always be slower out of the box.  for us on 10" of ice its literally a second or 2 longer at the beginning of the season (6" kdrill/6"pistol bit).   However as the season wore on, it was very clear the the shaver blades had lost their edge a bit and it became almost identical time wise.   

the versatility and guide bit for the kdrill, we kept the kdrill.  if we didn't mind sharpening mid season and got 24+" of ice we'd of probably kept the pistol bit. 

i'm certainly not going to take at face value a video put out by strikemaster thats for sure. 

Clam Nitinol Spring Bobbers are Junk - Don't Buy

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When Hell Freezes Over... I'll Ice Fish There To!
They weren't even drilling straight with the other two? Also, which one runs the longest on a battery and is easiest on my drill? They all cut fast!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
But I still got my original 8" Strike Lite auger bit... ;D

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Iíve got a kdrill and like it for the most part but i am seriously thinking of getting one of the new pistol bits or possibly the lite flite. I just hate the idea of buying a first year product though, could end up dealing with what all the pistol owners are dealing with now.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Iowa!
Iíve got a kdrill and like it for the most part but i am seriously thinking of getting one of the new pistol bits or possibly the lite flite. I just hate the idea of buying a first year product though, could end up dealing with what all the pistol owners are dealing with now.

Should be a non issue. Strikemaster put the guide point on the auger right away

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Iowa!
chippers will always be slower out of the box.  for us on 10" of ice its literally a second or 2 longer at the beginning of the season (6" kdrill/6"pistol bit).   However as the season wore on, it was very clear the the shaver blades had lost their edge a bit and it became almost identical time wise.   

the versatility and guide bit for the kdrill, we kept the kdrill.  if we didn't mind sharpening mid season and got 24+" of ice we'd of probably kept the pistol bit. 

i'm certainly not going to take at face value a video put out by strikemaster thats for sure. 

All are good augers.

I've been running a nils 8in power point. I'm thinking I will try to sell it. Works great, and keeps sharp. Just looking at getting a flat blade shaver so I can sharpen my own blades.

If I do, I plan on going to the 8in pistol bit with the power point on it. Then I will be able to sharpen my own blades with the $15 auger sharpener kit. Might wait untill cold snap gets a snap cover for it though.

All the hand augers work just fine and all are light enough on the drill setups. The only reason to really go with any of these over the normal hand augers is to get the guide point. Which IMO is really only needed when needing to place holes in wheel houses.

I will admit the industry has really played up and marketed the new drill augers well. They've convinced a lot of people to spend $200 on them vs $40 for the normal hand auger.....the weight savings is so negligible I can't see $160 worth of value. 

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Addict
All are good augers.

I've been running a nils 8in power point. I'm thinking I will try to sell it. Works great, and keeps sharp. Just looking at getting a flat blade shaver so I can sharpen my own blades.

If I do, I plan on going to the 8in pistol bit with the power point on it. Then I will be able to sharpen my own blades with the $15 auger sharpener kit. Might wait untill cold snap gets a snap cover for it though.

All the hand augers work just fine and all are light enough on the drill setups. The only reason to really go with any of these over the normal hand augers is to get the guide point. Which IMO is really only needed when needing to place holes in wheel houses.

I will admit the industry has really played up and marketed the new drill augers well. They've convinced a lot of people to spend $200 on them vs $40 for the normal hand auger.....the weight savings is so negligible I can't see $160 worth of value.
Youíre gonna get rid of your nils for a pistol bit?!? Iíd suggest holding onto that nils first and seeing how you like the pistol bit. Sounds like quite the downgrade to me.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I was one of the very first to buy into the Russian Auger Mini Nero and I own both a 6" and 8" and have never even tried the 6" out. The Nero flies through the ice with a 700 Inch pound Ridgid. Never really had a problem with it walking all over but I also am very carefull starting out. I can't imagine those coming out with the point on them but would think they would give anything a run for the money. This year I plan on using the 6" mostly until deeper ice. THen it is back to my recently bought M51 Eskimo Gas auger which I bought at the end of last season. I sold my old Z51 and loved it but THe M51 is just as good and was very cheap. I figure I am only 66 and that weight isn't nothing that bothers me yet. Maybe when I am 76.
<===Lefty===

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
lefty,
I have the 6Ē Mini Nero as well, and have yet to run it with the drill attachment. I can hand auger a hole through 10Ē of ice in no time, and Iím 70! I agree thereís no problem starting a hole if you just start slowly, so a point on the Nero is irrelevant.
I think a lot of the issues with placement comes more from ďoperator errorď or dull blades, and isnít a point or no point problem. Iíll go to my Strikemaster 4-stroke when the ice starts getting thicker. Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣Ē

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
Seems to me that weíre to concerned with speed of cut, doesnít seem to be that much difference in times. I guess for me if it was a tourney I get it. Iím more concerned about which gives better battery life and the most amount of ice drilled per battery? I run a kdrill 6Ē and am very happy with performance , it may not be the fastest but Iím usually out all day looking to relax. Just my thoughts.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
shaver always win unless in dirty ice , then itll win once... lol chipper slower but handles dirty ice   
youngster

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes BUT- in a permanent house speed also means water flying all over at break thru, makes a sloppy mess. AND- lazer blades do not like to reopen holes and go worthlessly dull. I like my slow Ion, maybe a pistol but if I can get over Eskimo screwing all the guys that bought them last year. Eskimo shaver blades outlast lasers, I got two years of heavy use and still sharp as when new. Lazers, been there done that, never again.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've never been real concerned with speed................. ..............but weight. I have an 8"  Mora with an extension on my Milwaukee Fuel. Would be nice if it was a little lighter, but like Agronomist says.................. ....................is it really worth $199 for less than 3 lbs difference?!  ???   Right now I say no. May change as I get older................. ...
Where's the FISH?!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Ok so I thought I had a 6" and an 8" Mini nero but they don't make an 8" so it is the 7" I have. I am going to have to check my bits because the 6" I bought might be 5" by mistake as well. OK just checked. It sure looks like a big difference in the 7" and 6".  But that is what they are. I will use the 6" this year by hand until I can't get through fast enough. Then it is the old tried and true Gas auger for me.
<===Lefty===

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
 ;D What a junk of an experiment. Is that supposed to be the official Strike master promo?? The other two guys almost always start a notch later and don't seem to push, where the guy holding their drill is always pushing and working it hard........

That said, they should just focus on their own without trying to compare themselves to other. They have the center point, which Eskimo screwed us all with last year. K-drill isn't the size advertised as far as I know.....

I guess ultimate lesson is be careful when being an early adopter. Used to be that in Ice Fishing the manufacturers were honest and hard trying, but like everything it became a fairly large market and it is about profits......I almost wonder if Eskimo always knew they'll put a center point into their drill when they upgrade it.....honestly it is right out of the apple playbook.......why sell you something complete, when they can sell it to you piece by piece over long period of time....in this case Eskimo didn't even bother upgrading the name or model.

• Team IceShantyholic
FWIW its not a true apples to apples to apples comparison ...more an apple to orange to banana comparison ..common features the same drills were used.. the center point ..and the composite lightweight flighting ..after that its about the blades ..all have pros and cons..Kdril/chipper blade con not as fast/sharpen at home not so much pro good for "dirty ice"..Eskimo/shaver blade con not the fastest/ok in dirty ice..pro can be hand sharpened with minimal skill set ..StrikeMaster/ lazer blades con no no for dirty ice/difficult to master home sharpening .. pro fastest . I have the Kdrill ..it is slow compared to a lazer but for my average ice thickness of 12-15 inches does me just fine ..I also fish off some beaches ..road blown sandy areas and some brackish/muddy/silty waters) . Its great to have options ..one could get a Mora style shaver bladed steel auger and save some money and still have quite a great set up ...just be cognizant of the skipping on bare/uneven ice.   

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.