The board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: electric drill question  (Read 401 times)

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
electric drill question
« on: Sep 10, 2019, 04:39 PM »
Because of failing health and the need to go lighter, I am thinking about buying an electric drill set-up for this winter.  What all would I need to have?  What kind of drill is best?  I heard something about a plate, what kind is best?  And, can I use a jiffy pro4 4 inch auger in an electric drill?  If not, what auger is best?  Any help you folks can give is greatly appreciated since I haven't got a clue!

Online hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: electric drill question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Basics for the drill ...Brushless ..700 in/lbs or better..4 ah batteries or better ...DeWalt 991 and 996 ..Milwaukee 2803 and 2804 ...Ridgid Octane are the most used/discussed on IS . As far as an auger ..shaver blades..Lazer blades and Chipper style blades are the offerings ..all will work ..other auger drill unit considerations.. center point..and flite material (weight) .If you already have a hand auger with good blades  I would start with that ..it may be all you need..then you will need an adapter ..several company's have offerings ..HT ,StrikeMaster . The Clam Plate (MSRP $90)..is a great option as it functions similar to a gas auger in regards to stability.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2019, 05:31 PM »
I use the ridgid octane,clam plate and just a mora auger.rips ice.i got the plate so i wouldnt break the side handle off the drill.could easily just buy a good drill and get the new style augers with the pilot point and not use a clam plate tho.pistol bit or strikemaster lite flite or kdrill.they seem overpriced to me.jmo

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2019, 07:26 PM »
Because of failing health and the need to go lighter, I am thinking about buying an electric drill set-up for this winter.  What all would I need to have?  What kind of drill is best?  I heard something about a plate, what kind is best?  And, can I use a jiffy pro4 4 inch auger in an electric drill?  If not, what auger is best?  Any help you folks can give is greatly appreciated since I haven't got a clue!

Milwaukee 1200inlb drill
Clam plate
Any cheap hand auger 8in or less

If you don't have any wrist issues and have strong wrist a hand auger with a drill plate adaptor and drill is all you need

Offline Vinny1892

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2019, 08:16 PM »
Just picked up a rigid octane drill with battery/charger new on ebay for 129.00 plus ten bucks for shipping.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2019, 08:48 PM »
You've certainly come to the right place to ask this question. All the guys who have posted answers are deeply experienced and you can't go wrong with any answer I've seen so far.
As you've experienced, gravity has just gotten meaner in the last few years. Just rolled 70 on the odometer myself and my gas augers and even my old IceGator will never see the ice again. The performance I've seen out the recent improvements in electric drills will keep old blisters like you and me drilling for at least a few more years. I lack first hand experience on the newer Dewalt drills but I own a Milwaukee Fuel and a Ridgid Octane, both superb year round tools, though the Ridgid is a couple of pounds heavier. Either one would easily spin your 4" auger flite unit (I run 8" with no problem) and with that little resistance you wouldn't need a Clam plate. Pick up a Strikemaster or other brand of adaptor for your Jiffy Pro4, screw in the auxiliary side handle that comes with the drill and you're off to the races.
"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man".

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2019, 06:48 AM »
I use a beat up old Ridgid Fuego with 500 in/lbs of torque and a 6" HT auger all mounted on a Clam plate. I got a pair of 4ah batteries and so far after a few years I haven't needed the second battery yet. I'll drill holes all day without babying my batteries going through up to 20+ inches of ice without failing and haven't used up a whole battery, pretty good. My suggestion is get a better drill and a better auger and the BEST batteries you can get.

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2019, 06:56 PM »
I use a RYOBI 18V ONE+ Brushless P251

It has 750 pounds of torque and I power it with a 6AH battery

It's not an expensive unit, and probably not as good as some other drills, but I have never had a problem with it so far.

For the auger I use an adapter for my 8" lazer and it turns it through a couple of feet of ice quickly and with no problems.

I don't use a plate yet, but I heard that a plate is better for the bearings since the drill motor is fixed on the plate and not directly attached to the auger.
Considering that it's basically a three-foot drill bit thats 8" in diameter it's being asked to lift and drill.

lots and lots of options.

Good Luck all  :tipup:

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2019, 08:12 AM »
Thnx folks!  A lot to think about.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2019, 11:00 PM »
Thnx folks!  A lot to think about.

Snitch...just a tip on a few things.

If you want to turn 7-8in augers. You need a minnimum of 700in/lbs of torque.

Drill brands really don't matter if it's a decent quality.

An 8in curved blade auger will work a 700in/lb drill pretty good. your better off with the flat blade shavers for an 8in if you only have 700in/lbs.

You'll want minnimum of a 4ah battery on the drill. Some 3ah batteries work, but you can have issues with 3ah or smaller batteries.

Also, some companies build a better battery pack that handles the cold better. So look into how well the battery pack is built for cold weather. Regaurdless of how well any of them are built, if you leave the batter out for hours in sub zero temps you'll have some issues. The only issue I ever had with this is when I had my Milwaukee setup in the back of my pickup box and drove 9hrs in -10 to -20 degree weather to upper red lake. Pulled it out of the pickup box and went to drill holes in the ice castle.....the auger would studder......once we warmed up the battery we were fine. Normal days I leave it outside the shack on the ice and never seen a problem.

Look for drills that are brushless. Brushed drills don't seem to have the durability or the built in protections like the brushless drills do to prevent damage to the drill.

Online PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:03 AM »
Ridgid Octane 1500 ft/inch torque, 9ah battery, 8" Mora (or 6" with 700 ft/inch), Kovac steel adapter (don't get the Rapala aluminum garbage!)

These are my setups and work great!  I have been using the ridgid drills and mora augers since the drill adapters first came out (7yrs?).  The most important thing is a large amp hours battery and sharp blades.  These are the cause of 90% of the issues.  I only use gas for my 10" shaver auger and I still use a drill and adapter.  It's just a gas powered drill!

BTW-don't forget that if you can get this drill setup as a kit (with batteries and charger) the entire setup (including the batteries) carry a lifetime warranty.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.