Equipment Board Sponsor Eyoyo Underwater Cameras

Author Topic: Fasnaps or Sppedsnaps  (Read 245 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fasnaps or Sppedsnaps
« on: Jun 02, 2019, 09:01 PM »
I bought some of these a while back and now I'm wondering why I bothered. IMO, a swivel is needed almost everywhere excpt when using crankbaits. The pkg says to use with spinners but surely you would need a swivel with spinners. Am I missing something here?

I also find them finicky to work with.

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Fasnaps or Sppedsnaps
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2019, 08:36 AM »
I've used these occasionally for ice but never for open water. As for spinner rigs I agree with the need for a swivel. I'd  tie the snap to my standing line and make the spinner rigs with a swivel at the non-business end much like I do my tipup leaders. Easy to swap colors or sizes and keeps the business end of the rig uncluttered with terminal hardware. Thing is it's just as easy to tie just a swivel on the standing line and make a loop on the spinner rig for attaching. One less thing to fail.

For the most part those tiny snaps won't accommodate a very thick item. Hook eyes quickly get too large to snap in or damage the snap if you force them. There's a time and a place but there are limits. I have used them to make my own chain droppers and stingers for open water walleyes so don't find them entirely useless.

Been using a SPRO Split Snap for some stuff. They function a bit like a split ring so way more secure than the Fas-Snaps and also have the capability to add a swivel to it. Unfortunately they also suffer the same limitations as the tiny snaps in that there are limitations to how big a wire or hook eye you can insert without damaging the snap. Often I'm using a size a bit bigger than I'd like. The 45# test one seems about right for most non-musky stuff. Still, they are eminently secure and catch zero weeds (big plus).
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

"Life's too short to worry, life's too long to wait..."

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.