New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: pickerel  (Read 5086 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
pickerel
« on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:22 AM »
whats with all the pickerel  i'm catching them in places I never caught them  before , I wish  everyone   would  keep their legal limit of those  slimmers  make  fish patties  fillet them   bury them in your garden or  fill a land  fill  but  take  them  out of the water ....remember the  season is 1st sat in may  till march  15   5 fish limit and  15 inch size ......

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: pickerel
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:42 AM »
You better start keeping your 5 fish then pal  ;D

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:48 AM »
Give me a call you old fart

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:06 AM »
You better start keeping your 5 fish then pal  ;D

I  actually  do  I have  great tomatos  ;D

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:17 AM »
Trap....same here on the tomatoes, only I use big Rockies!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2019, 07:11 AM »
I  actually  do  I have  great tomatos  ;D

Save all my legal Slime Darts and all the perch/ other pannies too small to filet to my neighbor for exactly that reason. His garden is awesome and he primarily uses fish as his fertilizer.  He also always supplies me with some fresh maple syrup from the taps on our yards as well so its a very fair trade in my mind  @)

Offline riot609

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Never leave fish to find fish!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:31 AM »
good days when we used to go out and spear/or bow fish carp I remember filling the back of trucks and go drop em to farmers for the fields/gardens been about 10 years since I had anyone ask me for fish or even the guts
“You never really know your friends from your enemies until the ice breaks”

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2019, 11:17 AM »
They make fantastic fert!
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2019, 04:58 PM »
yes they do!
along with salmon,bass and bullheads,any fish for that matter!!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:35 PM »
good days when we used to go out and spear/or bow fish carp I remember filling the back of trucks and go drop em to farmers for the fields/gardens been about 10 years since I had anyone ask me for fish or even the guts

I cringe when I see bow fishers in my Hudson river trib out behind the house.
The next day a pile of carp would be in the woods.  I don't even bother trying to wet a line anymore there.
These fish are probably older than many who use the internet. 
Yes it's a blood spot to the extent of regulations but at least there should be something related to sportsmanship ethics.
If there is a purpose and use then , right on. If its just for fun to eradicate,  that's dumb and taking the sport away from another. 
Not at all directed to anyone,  just a dumb
,humble , useless,  missing fishing ramble
Education through my eyes of the world

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Damn, Rock bass are a fine eating fish. Give then a try.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Damn, Rock bass are a fine eating fish. Give then a try.

I fillet  those  rockies  ....one of my favorite  fish ,but the  bones and head  get recycled  into  roses and tomatoes  ;D

tuna  because  carp populate  so fast  you will never wipe them out  but I remind you they are a invasive fish .... I  do find  fishing for them  fun  but I liked  shooting them  with the  bow too.... I always  released  them after shooting them with the  bow  and  they  didn't seem to any  worse  for the wear

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:47 PM »
I love Rockies, too, one of my fav to eat.  Only part that would go in the garden is the carcass.  Just bustin, as I know from previous posts that Trap loves them too.

Offline TyroneJenkins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:50 PM »
yes they do!
along with salmon,bass and bullheads,any fish for that matter!!
Good idea there bud. We catch tons of bullheads. toss them in my kids garden after skinnin.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:51 PM »
fun to catch with the  fly rod

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:53 PM »
No worries. The Hudson  river carp will probably never be over harvested today like the sturgeon were years ago. I'm just saying a large carp is probably 20 years old , not many hunted species can attest to that ripe old age anymore. Careful conservation in landlocked waters wise though.
Runt and stunted , put those things to use in helping the fishery

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/66626.html

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:59 PM »
i don't  think the  tossing a  bunch of  carp  to stink up the area  is  a good idea   just let them go  most would  make it

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2019, 07:39 PM »
The next day a pile of carp would be in the woods.  I don't even bother trying to wet a line anymore there.
Yes it's a blood spot to the extent of regulations but at least there should be something related to sportsmanship ethics.
If there is a purpose and use then , right on. If its just for fun to eradicate,  that's dumb and taking the sport away from another. 
[/quote]
I agree 100%...I hate it when anybody spears or nourishes and throw their catch on the banks...when I used to bowfish carp I always was able to give them to people that wanted them...I don't care what the fish...they deserve a purpose.
That goes for people throwing fish on the ice and leaving them.
icejohn

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2019, 07:48 PM »
Rock bass make really good fertalizer them thing are just as bad as carp

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2019, 07:54 PM »
The guys I work with won't even eat rock bass and there all from Vietnam they won't touch them

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Creek Cubs, suckers and cats , I catch a lot but I have no purpose by tossing them on a bank so I release them.   
Maybe that's why my garden sucks

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2019, 06:59 AM »

I agree. I always wondered what the people do with the carp who bow hunt for them.  I never heard of them eating it. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:14 AM »
I hate those things too - I always take out as many as I legally can every trip.

big ones I have  filleted  and I also made fish patties  and they were  good  .... I  have noticed   catching them the  last few years in places I never caught them  before  and this  year I caught them in big numbers  ....... I  wonder why

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Rock bass make really good fertalizer them thing are just as bad as carp

I don't know big guy...I always keep and eat Rockies from sodus, port bay and fair haven and they're very good to me or anybody I feed...the smaller ones are as good as gills..

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2019, 10:53 AM »
Rock bass to taste good. Just like a pan fish. They are also fun for kids to catch ! We have tons of carp in the gsl. When your walking down the dock you’ll see them just below the surface catching the sun. They make easy prey for the eagles,  if you walk around the eagles nests you’ll see the big gill plates and bones they drop from the nest.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23, 2019, 01:29 PM »
Pickerel can fight pretty good..., but I don't like the way they taste,... and hate when they bite off and steal my favorite panfish jigs.

I had a neighbor who used to fillet the top somehow and near the tail on both sides, cube the fillets, and then pickle them. He claimed that pickled pickerel are delicious.

The last few years I have even been catching them after dark while shore casting for walleyes.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 23, 2019, 01:58 PM »
I agree. They fight pretty good and can cut off a $3.99 panfish jig in a heart beat.  However, they are not all bad (except the slime). If you take the time to learn how to filet the bigger ones to avoid the "Y" bone they fry up and taste a lot like Perch (you are what you eat!).

Lots of old timers just ignored the "y" bone and grind up the filets in a meat grinder. Mix in some spices, an egg, and some bread crumbs and they make great fish cakes.

Sometimes I just poach them in Mountain Dew and flake the meat off the bones. It makes a great substitute for crab meat.

I also found a recipe to make the Pickerel eggs into caviar. The caviar has a good taste and keep for a few months in the refrigerator.

Finally, the Pickerel and Pike make the best pickled fish. Even better than herring. Lots of good recipes on the IceShanty archives. When you pickle them the "y" bone just disappear.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 23, 2019, 02:56 PM »
We have tons of carp in the gsl. When your walking down the dock you’ll see them just below the surface catching the sun. They make easy prey for the eagles,  if you walk around the eagles nests you’ll see the big gill plates and bones they drop from the nest.
I am Not trying to be a wise guy fullThrottle,.....  a lot of people are not aware of the new New York State DEC guidelines that say where possible, not to approach a known active eagles nest within 330 feet with a boat , atv or on foot while hiking or birdwatching etc.. Some eagles are very sensitive to humans approaching nesting sites on foot, and some will abandon that nest site if bothered by humans . Other eagles are not bothered by a human walking to close to a nest, so won't abandon the site....unless repeatedly harassed. I know you never said you used  your drone near the nest , but just a heads up that they also mention manned or un-manned aircraft  and "drones" to stay at least 1400 feet away from a known eagles nest, and aircraft must fly more than 1000 feet vertically directly above a known eagles nest.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2019, 03:25 PM »
I know some eagles nests are marked. This one isn’t.  1/2 the people that are within feet of it don’t realize it. It’s about 75 feet up a huge pine tree on sand island on the great sacandaga. It’s a highly populated area with people around it all the time. Dec patrols the area every weekend. Never seen anyone been told not to go to the island because of the best. It’s pretty cool. Last year it had a young one with it that didn’t have a white head yet. Unless your doing something stupid like set up a grill under it or build a fire it I don’t think anyone is going to bother you. I don’t think anyone is going to get a ticket for taking pictures of a bird

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2019, 03:50 PM »
I am Not trying to be a wise guy fullThrottle,.....  a lot of people are not aware of the new New York State DEC guidelines that say where possible, not to approach a known active eagles nest within 330 feet with a boat , atv or on foot while hiking or birdwatching etc.. Some eagles are very sensitive to humans approaching nesting sites on foot, and some will abandon that nest site if bothered by humans . Other eagles are not bothered by a human walking to close to a nest, so won't abandon the site....unless repeatedly harassed. I know you never said you used  your drone near the nest , but just a heads up that they also mention manned or un-manned aircraft  and "drones" to stay at least 1400 feet away from a known eagles nest, and aircraft must fly more than 1000 feet vertically directly above a known eagles nest.

That information is true but only applies during breeding season. No buffer is necessary out of breeding season. You just have to be respectful to the birds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.