Author Topic: Transducer cable  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Fishyone80

• IceShanty Rookie
Transducer cable
« on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:21 AM »
So I was laying in bed the other night thinking about fishing like I always do  and something hit me...I remember years ago putting my transducer on my boat and the directions said to keep the ducer cable as far away  from any other power cables,chords etc...and never roll up the excess cable because it can cause interference..now in a boat I can see why they provide the extra cable because the head unit may be up on the bow, console etc...so you have options where to put it. I've always noticed sometimes I get lil blips at the same depth on my flasher and I know they are not fish. So yesterday I took some tape and ran my ducer cable up, over and down the poles in my flipover  so the chord did not overlap if that makes sense and I didn't see those blips one time and also noticed I had way less going on beneath my bottom mark and there was less blinking in my jig and fish when I was marking them..it definitely IMO made a noticeable difference in the performance of my flasher...idk why flasher company's give you so much ducer chord when the flasher will never (99.9% of the time) be more than a a foot or two of your hole..now I get some places have 40 inches of ice compared to a foot at most usually around here but why don't they give you options for chord length when you buy one? Like sell the ducer and head unit separately then you choose ducer length?? Makes sense to me...now the thing I can't stop thinking about is how to run my chord so it's not wound up or running parallel to itself so I can get the results I had yesterday without shortening the cable Wich would make it worse and without running it up and down my hut poles Wich would be a pain every time I moved....hmmmmmm any ideas would be great because I'm drawing a blank...

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Transducer cable
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:32 PM »
Well I don’t have a clue. Never had the issue y’all are describing. What kind of flasher, guessing you are using an iceducer?  Good luck figuring it out!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Reiber002

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:52 PM »
I started using a new Vexilar flasher this winter and have noticed a reading at 6' which is constantly marked no matter where I go or what hole I drop my transducer into (even in low power mode). I'm going to try unreeling my cable to see if this false reading can be resolved in this way.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:15 PM »
So I was laying in bed the other night thinking about fishing like I always do  and something hit me...I remember years ago putting my transducer on my boat and the directions said to keep the ducer cable as far away  from any other power cables,chords etc...and never roll up the excess cable because it can cause interference..now in a boat I can see why they provide the extra cable because the head unit may be up on the bow, console etc...so you have options where to put it. I've always noticed sometimes I get lil blips at the same depth on my flasher and I know they are not fish. So yesterday I took some tape and ran my ducer cable up, over and down the poles in my flipover  so the chord did not overlap if that makes sense and I didn't see those blips one time and also noticed I had way less going on beneath my bottom mark and there was less blinking in my jig and fish when I was marking them..it definitely IMO made a noticeable difference in the performance of my flasher...idk why flasher company's give you so much ducer chord when the flasher will never (99.9% of the time) be more than a a foot or two of your hole..now I get some places have 40 inches of ice compared to a foot at most usually around here but why don't they give you options for chord length when you buy one? Like sell the ducer and head unit separately then you choose ducer length?? Makes sense to me...now the thing I can't stop thinking about is how to run my chord so it's not wound up or running parallel to itself so I can get the results I had yesterday without shortening the cable Wich would make it worse and without running it up and down my hut poles Wich would be a pain every time I moved....hmmmmmm any ideas would be great because I'm drawing a blank...
maybe put this on the main page to get more feedback, could be a interesting discussion

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.