Author Topic: Helix 5  (Read 558 times)

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
Helix 5
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Thinking about buying a helix 5. I do more open water fishing but would like to use during ice season. Would both of these models have a flasher mode. And besides the one having Gps and sd card slot is there a difference

410210-1.
410190-1
410200-1

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Helix 5
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:57 PM »
No difference besides one having GPS and capable of mapping (shows gps location, can view purchased mapping cards, and can make your own maps with autochart live).

Both will have a flasher mode when you hook up an ice ducer to it.

For a G2 unit, you will want the XI 9 1521 ice transducer.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:03 PM »
You have to buy the ice ducer tho?

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:36 PM »
Depends on what you want. Helix 5 G2 come in several diff models. Side imaging, down imaging, portable unit. open water ducer, ice ducer. I have the 5 g2 portable and it came with an open water ducer and cable that I hooked up in my Crestliner. I bought the ice ducer to use for ice fishing. I just have to plug and unplug for both ice and open water. It's not a one size fits all. You customize it for what your needs are.

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:47 AM »
I bought one this summer to use for both open water and ice fishing.  I wanted something small enough to bring on canoe trips and still be very effective on the ice.  So far the Helix 5 is filling those jobs exceptionally well.  The biggest issue is sorting through the different combinations and getting everything that you want.  Split Milt's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eA3EfIlxko&t=71s) videos were very helpful.

I went with the G2 GPS DI.  The ice combo is limited to just the basic unit, and I wanted DI for open water lake fishing. So i bought the Helix unit and then I bought the ice carrying case, battery and the separate XI 9 1521 CHIRP ice-ducer to make a portable unit and allow for ice fishing  Then I ordered the shuttle as replacement parts from Humminbird (~$30), which for some reason isn't part of the carrying case unless you get the ice combo. 

I never had electronics before and I'm super happy with my setup.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:42 PM »
2nd what fly_rodder said. I actually just bought the helix 7 GPS Mega DI gen 3 came with boat mount and open water ducer. Just bought the ice pack (came with shuttle case and xi 9 1521 ducer no battery) and I couldn’t be happier with it. Suits my needs for double duty, on the ice and in the boat. Little pricey but it ended up being roughly the same price all together as the marcum LX7 I previously owned.
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.