Author Topic: Otter Lodge vs. Fish Trap Voyager  (Read 5373 times)

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Otter Lodge vs. Fish Trap Voyager
« on: Feb 24, 2003, 04:31 PM »
I'm in the market with a buddy of mine to buy a portable ice shack. The prices are great right now, but I need to decide between the Otter Lodge and the Fish Trap Voyager. Both are the same size 6 x 8. Both set up very similar. Any feelings on which brand is more reliable or better. We're working out of a Clam suitcase model and want to upgrade. Also, how many can we fit? I figure that we'll be pulling in so many fish, that we'll soon have a crowd gathering. Or at least one more for 3 total.
Thanks in advance, Cityfishin

turbo

Re: Otter Lodge vs. Fish Trap Voyager
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2003, 01:51 AM »
I purchased the voyager this year. I still have a homemade portable 4x10. that just got to heavy to load for one person.I looked at alot of them and finally narrowed it down to two that i preferred the  otter and voyager. I  brought the voyager because of the weight 81# if fishing alone is easy to load and unload and also fits in truck box with 6"to spare.It also came with two  seats and center tray. It  also came with the new ice armor darker inside cover . Gives me a little more light to tie my jigs ,but dark even to see down the holes. It cost me 439 plus 50  for tarp cover ,which is a must. startin to get kinda  spendy so the wife thought.  My two buddies i fish with both have otters and they are great units. The otter has  a heavier more durable  sled and will last longer pulling it behind atv. , Higher price and cost of extra add ons was more than I could justife and keep peace on homefront. So all and all the otter in my opinion is 1# but voyager is very close. Good luck in your decision  its a tuff one. Go look at frabills and eskimos and it really gets confusing. ;) ;)My otter buddies think the is 'A'  OK.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2003, 07:32 AM »
Thanks Turbo-
I've found the Voyager on sale for 299 (you probably don't want to hear that) which is extremely hard to beat. Like you said, it comes fully stocked and ready to go where the Otter is a la carte. The Otter seems more substantial for the long haul, but most of my fishing is done within a drag away from the car. We're not flying around the lake pulling the shack. I too am trying to keep peace at home and cost down. My buddy has now decided that the Resort is the way to go. He likes the extra room for 3. I'm concerned about the weight 95#. I'm starting to think that I should just get one of those Cabela's and be done with it. No baggage. I tend to fish with a buddy or two, so it's nice to have the extra room. I'm so confused, but I'll get through. I've just got to pull the trigger one way or another.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2003, 04:40 PM »
Anyone else have an opinion?

-cityfishin

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2003, 05:03 PM »
City, where did you find one for $299? At that price, I will bite.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2003, 06:30 PM »
well I really like the otter.  I was not very impressed with the changes that the fish trap made between what they used to have and the new ones.  I like the deep sled It pulls very easy by hand and is very sturdy.  also the otter has a warranty and right now the sled part is on clearance at fleet farm.  I have the lodge model on the magnum sled and it will handle two.  THey have one that folds out on both sides that would give more space but this is what I wanted.  As far as price What I saw for the same size the price was competitive in my oppinoin.  I just use a lawn chair to sit on.  Any other ?

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2003, 02:23 PM »
twodoggs- Thanks for the input. I agree with the fact that otter's are more sturdy. I think that's the way to go. The Otter Resort is 10 inches wider than the lodge and is comfy for 3 if needed. The Voyager looks like it can fit 3 in the brochure, but it may be a bit too tight in reality. The big selling point for the Voyager is the price...299. (Kenelz- I found that price at Gander Mountain in Minnesota. They're going fast.)
Thanks for the advice all.

-cityfishin :'(

turbo

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2003, 10:45 PM »
WOW  that's a good price on that trap.I brought mine at the local hardware. Was all set up and didnt want to drive 110 to nearest cabelas or scheels and the price wasnt much different  at the time I purchased it . I brought the trap for the weight factor. It is very comfort for two and roomy for one. three ???? . go  with the bigger on you wont be sorry.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2003, 08:17 AM »
To everyone who responded:
Well I pulled the trigger. I couldn't resist the 299 price tag on the Voyager (at Gander Mtn in MN) so I plunked down my cash and brought it home. I set the whole thing up this weekend (it's displaced my car in the garage) and hit the ice last night. I also bought a heater...thank goodness, cause it was pretty cold last night. It worked like a dream. The only criticisms I have so far are that the seats are a little too far forward and make you sit so straight up that it's not as comfortable for long periods of time. I also think that with your feet on the ice, they're a bit colder, but I can use a car mat or something to keep my feet off the ice. There's a ton of room and it pulls easily on the snow and ice. At 6x8ft, there's room for 3 adults if you have a folding chair. 4 if one's a kid to put between the adults on the sled. I love the sled design. I fished for a while while it was still sunny and by simply putting up the back wall, it made a fantastic wind break. As the sun dipped, I just pulled the rest over top of me and sealed up the gaps. There are 6 support poles you can attach if it's windy. 2 on the back wall, 2 on either side of the door and 2 on the ceiling. I don't use them all until I know I'm staying put. The sled is not as substantial as the otter, and that may haunt me in the long run, but for now, I love it. I've got to use it a few more times before I can truely say I've christened it. So far only one measly crappie to show. Now I need a fish finder. Any thoughts there?
-cityfishin

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:Otter Lodge vs. Fish Trap Voyager
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2003, 12:21 PM »
check out cabelas.com and look at the vexilars.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

pdrude

Re:Otter Lodge vs. Fish Trap Voyager
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2004, 07:54 PM »
i was going to buy a quickflipp2 deluxe but they were all sold out then i came across a winnie it is made by clam it is the voyager model i love the darn thing it sets up easily and i have put my own chairs in it the type you would get at your local walmart that fold up in a bag and i got a 2'by2' table to go between me and a buddy in the sled works great they are made for three in the sled but if you put one up int one of the corners youll have enough room comfortably for three great shanty. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.