Author Topic: what makes those holes  (Read 5286 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
what makes those holes
« on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:04 AM »
I know we all see them.  a (non man made)hole in the otherwise thick ice with open water.  some as big as u head others golf ball size.  still others that are not open but are very clear and thinly iced.  anyone know what causes this?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: what makes those holes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:09 AM »
drain holes.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:23 AM »
I know we all see them.  a (non man made)hole in the otherwise thick ice with open water.  some as big as u head others golf ball size.  still others that are not open but are very clear and thinly iced.  anyone know what causes this?

This happens when folks drop or throw their wax worms onto the surface of the ice.  The wax worms will melt into the surface.  Later the ice embedded wax worm, will be spotted by a passing woodpecker and the rest is self explanatory.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Drain holes and springs.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:28 AM »
but its not draining anything, its 10*.  all the other ice is 8+inch thick.  there are several of them around the area. 8-10 fow under that.  I have seen things, like rocks and leaves, melt into/threw the ice but these don't look like that. you could be rite still.  we had a major warm up last week.

OANN the real story

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:45 AM »
This happens when folks drop or throw their wax worms onto the surface of the ice.  The wax worms will melt into the surface.  Later the ice embedded wax worm, will be spotted by a passing woodpecker and the rest is self explanatory.

:unsure:
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:35 AM »
 :unsure:

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Warm springs, gas pockets, etc. we have a bunch of them out west here where most of our fishable lakes are reservoirs.

We have lots of warm springs around here being close to Yellowstone and having the mountainous terrain that we do. Besides that, methane leaks from the earth are constantly being released. I’m sure this still happens on natural lakes as well.

As for the woodpecker theory.....that certainly is interesting.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:54 AM »
It's the winter version of crop circles.  ;)

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:57 AM »

As for the woodpecker theory.....that certainly is interesting.

I was hoping it would be entertaining as well.   ;) ;)
take care,

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:22 PM »
Hopefully it's not one of those holes where you can see the water bubbling or the water flowing in there.

That's the one thing I don't like about fresh cold hard snow.  It often covers up those holes.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Just drains. Stars as a little tiny hole where two cracks meet, and as water is draining down it from melt or rain it gets bigger and bigger and bigger.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:51 PM »
that explains why those peckers were out there yesterday..same spot where two guys were fishing..
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Just drains. Stars as a little tiny hole where two cracks meet, and as water is draining down it from melt or rain it gets bigger and bigger and bigger.
2X drain holes.  You said you had a week of warm weather.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:15 PM »
but its not draining anything, its 10*.  all the other ice is 8+inch thick.  there are several of them around the area. 8-10 fow under that.  I have seen things, like rocks and leaves, melt into/threw the ice but these don't look like that. you could be rite still.  we had a major warm up last week.

Wait a minute!!! You still got that much ice a little north of me...lol.

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:51 PM »

Damn it I thought she moved away 😁

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:00 AM »
Wait a minute!!! You still got that much ice a little north of me...lol.

angola area did a  week ago. now its 5-6 paul.  watch the edges they were open.

OANN the real story

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:31 PM »

;D

Yer my kinda liar. Opa taught me to convince folks to eat live lightning bugs *you glow when you go! I SWEAR*
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2019, 11:26 PM »
😂😂😂👍

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:33 AM »
yup definitely ice peckers.       :roflmao:
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2019, 10:18 AM »
WOW, that blows my theory about warm fish farts.  :o ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bigwheelrn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:00 AM »
The wax worm woodpecker thing seems plausible, although I have not seen a woodpecker all winter!

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:26 PM »
The wax worm woodpecker thing seems plausible, although I have not seen a woodpecker all winter!

Well then you are obviously not throwing enough wax worms onto the ice.  Think; one for the hook, one for the ice; one for the hook, one for the ice; one for the hook, one for the ice; etc.   See of that helps and then report back to us.  @) @)
take care,

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:22 AM »

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:30 AM »
Next time you see these holes please take a picture. My curiosity has spiked and I've done a little digging and a bunch of different possible explanations came up (none of them include ice digging woodpeckers ;D) There are some articles about how the pressure and temperature changes under the ice due to solar radiant heat warming water and causing a convection causes drain holes. But these sound a little different than what you described. The other plausible explanation would be dust holes also known as cryoconites. These are caused by small particles of dust landing on the ice and the sun warming them up and melting ice around them then having enough water and the right combination of sunlight and shade (the shade allows it to be darker in the hole thus absorbing more heat from the sunlight) to continue to grow. However, most of the research I can find on the cryoconites is in glaciers. Not sure if this is because researchers arent funded to inspect such conditions in lakes and ponds or if it doesnt happen the same there.
I have also seen lots of images where different gases have caused holes in the ice but I would expect you would see frozen pockets of these gases near and around the other holes.

The holes you are asking about could be caused by some of the things I mentioned above or it could be something totally different.

Regardless of what I found, my nerd instincts have kicked in and I would love to get more information from all of you.  ;D
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:09 AM »
How do you know they were not man-made? (That would imply that you saw the holes form right in front of your eyes.)

Sounds more like old auger holes that were partially melted. If there was no draining going on, then the holes would remain circular, but draining will erode the hole edges making them irregular.

Smaller holes could be from dark objects that melted thru the ice due to sun light heating the object.
Could be a rock, a leaf or something another angler dropped (dark weight, rubber stopper. etc...).
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:08 PM »
How do you know they were not man-made?

If he's describing the same thing I've seen here in NW Montana, they're definitely not the result of an auger.  Again, if he and I are on the same page, he's describing what I call "spider holes" which (in my case anyway) have cracks radiating out from them.  I've also wondered what caused them and, not knowing, definitely avoid them.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 16, 2019, 06:28 AM »
You guys do know "that the FISH GODS" only fish when we are NOT fishing.
How many of us have asked, "God where are the fish?"...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 16, 2019, 01:24 PM »
They are caused by the galactic overlord Xenu.  Ask any scientologist.  They also invented the flasher on one of their 76 home ice planets a long time ago.  If you fall into one of these holes your soul is captured forever in the deep.

Offline Longshoremen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2019, 07:11 AM »
that explains why those peckers were out there yesterday..same spot where two guys were fishing..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.