Author Topic: Tying line to swivel  (Read 813 times)

Offline mc1984ss

• IceShanty Rookie
Tying line to swivel
« on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:18 PM »
I finally got around to  putting line on my son's new rod and reel.  When I was tying on the barrel swivel I bet I tried 5 times before I finally got the knot to end up on a double part of the split ring. The knot kept ending up on the part of the split ring where the ends meet. ( This make sense?) I didn't want the knot ending up here for fear that the ends of the split ring could cut, fray or weaken the knot. Am I the only one that worries about this or do you just let the knot end up wherever it wants? Thanks in advance

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tying line to swivel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:35 PM »
I’ve never worried about it.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:27 PM »
I always tie in-between the ends. This way the line is only going around one wire instead of two. I do this so the knot is tight on the split-ring. When I tie it around both wires, the knot has a tendency to stay loose and cause problems by sliding around the ring and catching on the ends. By tying in-between the ends, the knot stays tight on the ring and hardly moves. When it does move, it just butts up against the ends of the ring. I’ve never noticed it damaging the line or knot by doing this.

Depending on the lure, I remove the split-rings to begin with anyways.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:28 PM »
Why the split ring on a swivel ?
Bud

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:37 PM »

Many ball bearing swivels come with split rings.  I prefer ball bearing swivels with solid welded rings.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:39 PM »
Tie a knot on the ring purposely in that section you are talking about, snip both ends of the line leaving just the knot and then tie your new knot, that way it cant slip into that groove.  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:47 PM »
I always move the knot away from that split in the ring before cinching the knot tight.  The ends of a slit ring will cut mono, I've had it happen.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:52 PM »
Many ball bearing swivels come with split rings.  I prefer ball bearing swivels with solid welded rings.

We are evidently blessed up this way.  Have never seen a ball bearing swivel that had a split ring.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Yup.... Always try to miss the split. I retie every time if  the knot ends up there...

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:38 AM »

We are evidently blessed up this way.  Have never seen a ball bearing swivel that had a split ring.

Guess you haven't looked.  I just did a quick search (easier than digging out a package) for swivels with split rings https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Search/swivels%20with%20split%20rings.aspx
take care,
Dave  :>)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.