Author Topic: THE GLIDE LITE SLED??  (Read 6896 times)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
THE GLIDE LITE SLED??
« on: Jan 27, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Being as i'm getting older and basicly fish alone,,i am
thinking of down sizing big time..Does any of you have
one of these little sleds?  if so how do you like?
And on the plus side it should fit ideal in my SUV...

too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: THE GLIDE LITE SLED??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2019, 08:32 AM »
Maybe add a bracket to hold the auger. Not a minimalist yet, but I can see it in just a few yrs.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2019, 08:38 AM »
I wish frabill would start making the old ice shuttle again.the yellow one with windbreak.i have 2 of them but both need holes in the bottoms repaired.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2019, 08:55 AM »
I would think you can get more mileage out of a Jet Sled (size based on needs) ...bucket w/seat ..milk crate  ..kitty liter container Place to put your auger ...Jet Sled tow/pull fairly easy. Even a small and light one man w/a bucket for a seat would give you more options .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2019, 09:10 AM »
They are nice if your just running around targeting panfish. Seen a guy with one, he put a seat bracket on top of the bucket and had a small auger on an electric drill.
Come on fish!

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2019, 09:29 AM »
They are nice if your just running around targeting panfish. Seen a guy with one, he put a seat bracket on top of the bucket and had a small auger on an electric drill.

I to have a small auger with drill...I really think this will be ideal for my use..appreciate your reply..john

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2019, 10:33 AM »
I'm in the same boat so I'm interested in what everyone has to say.

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2019, 10:35 AM »
Home Depot drywall mud tub, $14.  Last about 5 years or more if you don't drag over concrete or asphalt.  Cheap and little weight and decent size, 30 x20 inches weight around 2 lbs empty.  Great for exploring and lite travel.  I can put 2 5 gallon buckets, folded seat , depth finder, and minnow bucket in one.  Where I fish you can only use your legs to get out on the ice, nothing motorized.  So weight is very important to me.  I mounted mine to a pair of water skies.  A foot or more snow and it rides on top.  The only time I use the jet sled is when there is no snow on the ice and have a need for a shanty. 

I can put 2 of them in my suv side by side. 

I also use mine to haul decoys during waterfowl season. 

I ban buy six tubs for the price of the glide sled.😀😀😀😀

Offline ammondude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2019, 11:17 AM »

Being as i'm getting older and basicly fish alone,,i am
thinking of down sizing big time..Does any of you have
one of these little sleds?  if so how do you like?
And on the plus side it should fit ideal in my SUV...

I've had the glide lite sled for about 6 years. I use it regularly when I'm not going on snowmobiles. I've dragged it behind a snowmobile a few times, but there are better sleds for that. The sled is great for pulling a few rods and minimal gear onto the ice, but there are a few problems with this sled:

First: the sled won't work well in deep snow.

This sled doesn't sit on skis, but the bottom of the sled has some channels running along the sled's profile to mimic runners. This makes the sled slide really well on clean ice or ice with an inch or two of snow. This also makes it a plow when you're going through more than a couple inches of snow. In deep snow or slush, the channels reduce the surface area of the sled and the weight of the loaded sled is applied over that smaller area causing a higher pressure than if the sled had a solid flat bottom. This makes the sled sink into deep powder or non-compacted snow, rather than glide over it like the name suggests (jetsleds glide a lot better).

Second: you can't sit on your bucket while it's in the sled.

Unless your have a really long bucket, your bucket won't touch the bottom of the sled while it's in the bucket hole. If you sit on it while it's on the sled, you'll deform the plastic on the edge of the hole. This isn't a huge deal to me, but I have had to stop people from sitting on my bucket while it's in the sled.

Third: the rod holders suck.

I use long rods (4'6", ultra light ugly stick GX2) because I love their responsive action
when jigging and their reliability when landing big trout (landing a 5 ponder on a 1 foot rod is fun too, but a little hairy). When I put my rods into the holes on the back of the sled, they poke out into the snow, below the bottom of the sled. This is ok for parking the rods while I'm already on the ice, but when I'm pulling it accross the ice, the butts of my rods  drag against the ice and snow. On my first time with the sled, I beat up my rod butts :/. Some rods fit ok, but my long rods definitely don't. Neither do my 91 cm brave eagle loaner rods that I bring for friends. You can modify the rod holders (I'm currently playing with PVC) but a better design would have placed the rods higher up to prevent any issue.

These are my concerns with the sled. I actually do like it, and will keep using it. It fits really well in the back of my little CRV, I can fit all my gear in it (including my Mora auger when it's broken down into two pieces) except for my chair and cooler, and it is compact.

Lemme know if you have other questions about it.

Tight lines!

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2019, 11:51 AM »

I've had the glide lite sled for about 6 years. I use it regularly when I'm not going on snowmobiles. I've dragged it behind a snowmobile a few times, but there are better sleds for that. The sled is great for pulling a few rods and minimal gear onto the ice, but there are a few problems with this sled:

First: the sled won't work well in deep snow.

This sled doesn't sit on skis, but the bottom of the sled has some channels running along the sled's profile to mimic runners. This makes the sled slide really well on clean ice or ice with an inch or two of snow. This also makes it a plow when you're going through more than a couple inches of snow. In deep snow or slush, the channels reduce the surface area of the sled and the weight of the loaded sled is applied over that smaller area causing a higher pressure than if the sled had a solid flat bottom. This makes the sled sink into deep powder or non-compacted snow, rather than glide over it like the name suggests (jetsleds glide a lot better).

Second: you can't sit on your bucket while it's in the sled.

Unless your have a really long bucket, your bucket won't touch the bottom of the sled while it's in the bucket hole. If you sit on it while it's on the sled, you'll deform the plastic on the edge of the hole. This isn't a huge deal to me, but I have had to stop people from sitting on my bucket while it's in the sled.

Third: the rod holders suck.

I use long rods (4'6", ultra light ugly stick GX2) because I love their responsive action
when jigging and their reliability when landing big trout (landing a 5 ponder on a 1 foot rod is fun too, but a little hairy). When I put my rods into the holes on the back of the sled, they poke out into the snow, below the bottom of the sled. This is ok for parking the rods while I'm already on the ice, but when I'm pulling it accross the ice, the butts of my rods  drag against the ice and snow. On my first time with the sled, I beat up my rod butts :/. Some rods fit ok, but my long rods definitely don't. Neither do my 91 cm brave eagle loaner rods that I bring for friends. You can modify the rod holders (I'm currently playing with PVC) but a better design would have placed the rods higher up to prevent any issue.

These are my concerns with the sled. I actually do like it, and will keep using it. It fits really well in the back of my little CRV, I can fit all my gear in it (including my Mora auger when it's broken down into two pieces) except for my chair and cooler, and it is compact.

Lemme know if you have other questions about it.

Tight lines!

Already ordered it so no turning back..I can see your point on some of the issues..I thought the bucket touched the bottom..A piece of 2x6 will cure and like  you said the rod handles might be too long..I

Offline pimple pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2019, 01:32 PM »
I have had a glidelite for a few years now and overall I am happy with it. Very light and easy to pull as long as there’s not a lot of snow and loading in and out of the truck or car is easy. I mostly use small rods for panfish so mine are ok in the rod holders on the back however I added a small bungee cord and 2 small screws on either side to help keep them from bouncing out while dragging. I pull the bucket out to sit on and jump from hole to hole but a block of wood under it would fix the issue while in the sled. I mounted 2 hooks on one side to hang my hand auger and another small bungee to keep it in place and seems to work fine. I usually use it when it’s nice out and packing light but otherwise I’m in my clams flip over... hope it works out and stay safe...

Offline ammondude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:18 PM »
I hope you enjoy it mrjohnny!
It is a good unit for a light trip and has been durable for me.

I like the bungee idea pimple pounder. Might give that a try too.

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:36 PM »
These are not good in any kind of snow so I bought a jet sled & added a frabill seat tub to it along with adding a beaver dam rod holder . The frabill seat tub is nice as you have a dry area to keep things along with a padded seat with a back on it . The sled pulls great in snow & will fit in your suv , just giving you another option .

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2019, 06:49 PM »
I've got one, have used it for years (at least 6), use it all the time. I love it, works great. Unless my fingertips get really cold - I assume you have an ice suit. Back to the wind.

I did quite a few mods to make it more useful. They address most of the notes from ammondude. I'll see if I can take some pics tomorrow. I know there are/were a few threads on the glide lite, but the Photobucket problem a few years back might have messed the thread up.

--- 6 gallon bucket base, with a 4-gal bucket inside (bakery frosting). Padded HT seat with fish hole mounted to bucket lid. Bottom bucket holds plastic bags, TP. 6 gallon is supported better on the bottom of the sled. I like the height of the set.
--- Built a bracket with reinforcement on the side for a small, wired fishfinder (Lowrance X67C).
--- Hinged, fitted cutting board (GFS) door for the opening. Piano hinge. Keeps snow out, adds a shelf when desired.
--- A few containers (including a lunch thermal cooler for extra auger battery warmer with hand warmer) inside.
--- Longer front rope ~20ft total length, knot on top side - force vector lifts the front slightly when pulling.
--- A pair of child skis on the bottom for less snow surface - kind of works like a Smitty Sled. Helps it slide very well in both snow and on bare ice. Deeper snow is no more of a problem than the walk itself with the skis.
--- PVC assembly on the back that tilts the rods away from the seating position - 4 for rods, one for ice scoop. The straight up and down position lets the rods rub into me when I sit on the bucket. Also raises the rod position. I have some very small bungies to lock them in if I need to use them for rough surfaces.
---  Clam plate with 5" Lazer. Eye bolts added on front and rear of the sled. I rest the head/drill on the seat, bungie the front and rear of the auger to the eye bolts.

Here's a buddy's sled who did some of the stuff that I did: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=308547.msg3227807#msg3227807

Try Googling "Glide Lite Mods" - you should get quite a few ideas.

YMMV,

Dave

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:50 AM »
All great ideas,i appreciate them as well as other comments..I have already thought
about the added ski idea if I can find some..As well as maybe a small plastics sled
[f the snow is an issue..I hope it gets here this week..Another reasoni went with
this sled is because ilive in a senior apartment building and it will fit in my closet..lol

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:17 AM »
I have one and like it. Longer rope and 6 gallon bucket. I also used some PVC couplers pieces of 1 1/2" PVC pipe to keep rods from dragging. I just did the outer 2 holes. I am going to make a bracket for my auger.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2019, 02:23 PM »
Welp,I received the sled today..Sweet little sled..My 6 gallon pail is ideal.sits right on the
bottom,no issue there..I can see where some rod handles might be to long,and that's the
only problem I see which can be easiely solved..or the rods fit nicely inside..And I see where
a set of kids skies can be used if really needed.
But all in all I think it is going to be ideal for this old man..

Offline Smelt 63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Save sume for seed
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2019, 02:55 PM »
Home Depot drywall mud tub, $14.  Last about 5 years or more if you don't drag over concrete or asphalt.  Cheap and little weight and decent size, 30 x20 inches weight around 2 lbs empty.  Great for exploring and lite travel.  I can put 2 5 gallon buckets, folded seat , depth finder, and minnow bucket in one.  Where I fish you can only use your legs to get out on the ice, nothing motorized.  So weight is very important to me.  I mounted mine to a pair of water skies.  A foot or more snow and it rides on top.  The only time I use the jet sled is when there is no snow on the ice and have a need for a shanty. 

I can put 2 of them in my suv side by side. 

I also use mine to haul decoys during waterfowl season. 

I ban buy six tubs for the price of the glide sled.😀😀😀😀
The only thing with that tub is be aware of the real cold weather they can break easy mine did

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:11 PM »
I like the idea of this sled but for the price they should have some sort of auger holder.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:24 AM »
All set to go..I did find a kids skis on e bay for it..Added  a piece of 1/4 plywood
under rod holder to keep the handles up and a bungy to keep the rods up right.
This is going to be a breeze for me...

Offline ammondude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2019, 12:38 PM »

Took mine out today. Had a nice cold snap last week and the slush and snow froze up well. Glide lite worked perfectly.

I'd be interested to hear your impressions mrjohnny after your first few trips with yours.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:08 PM »
took it out today..of course there is little snow on the ice..i added bungey straps to hold the augers..
Had my flasher in another pail..I was really surprised at how easy it pulled..Had it all over the lake..
Several guys where looking at it..The moral of the story is the fish were not biting..Marked several
from 7 feet down to 30....I think this warm spill is messing with them..Only a few guys got a couple
of trout or perch..love the little sled..i did get a pair of kids ski's off e bay for it if needed..

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:52 PM »
I have a glide lite. for the rod holders, I use lightweight drain pipe with a flange 6" long. I cut a notch so the reel stem sits in it. this limits how far down the rod butt goes. the pipe fits perfectly in the molded holes. the notch keeps the reels from swinging. I have a clam plate on my ridged drill. I notched the front of the bucket so that the auger stem sits in it. the clam plate sits on the tray on the glide lite. I have eye bolts in various places and bungee the auger to keep it from shifting. the flasher fits in the front hole. a plano box 3700 holds all my tackle. If I choose to bring shiners, the bait pail fits in the bucket. traps can fit in a back pack or strapped to the sides of the glide lite. if there is more than a coupe of inches of snow, I use  my jet sled jr and smitty skis.

Offline Smelt 63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Save sume for seed
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:35 AM »
took it out today..of course there is little snow on the ice..i added bungey straps to hold the augers..
Had my flasher in another pail..I was really surprised at how easy it pulled..Had it all over the lake..
Several guys where looking at it..The moral of the story is the fish were not biting..Marked several
from 7 feet down to 30....I think this warm spill is messing with them..Only a few guys got a couple
of trout or perch..love the little sled..i did get a pair of kids ski's off e bay for it if needed..
  Go to some of the skies shops ore garage sales. Some of the skies shops rent skies and sell the old one's real cheep.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Get the smallest jet sled.  That way you have something big enough to lay an auger across when loaded.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:27 AM »
happy with what ihave now..works great..i don't need to haul a munch of extra
gear around..

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:02 PM »
These are the mods I made years ago and it works really well

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:00 PM »
I love my Glide Lite sled! I usually use it on day trips or inside my hubs. https://youtu.be/CrVQLRIFES4

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:47 PM »
These are the mods I made years ago and it works really well

what size is that auger? And what size drill is that? I use a 1/2 inch dewalt with a 5 inch auger...was told it wouldn't
work with a 7 inch auger??

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:57 PM »
7 in auger, 996 hammer drill. I have used a buddy's 8 in lazer and it worked fine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.