Author Topic: DIY - Lightweight Lithium Milwaukee M18 Ice Fishing Flasher Battery!  (Read 7155 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline marabou

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great tip thank you

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Great tip thank you

If you use the setup let me know how you like it.  :tipup:

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here's a link to how I run my Vexilar off a m18 battery and power source. My 5ah battery hooked up to my Vex for 6-8 hours will still show a full charge.https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=348722.0
I'm thinking if you are on a 4 wheeler, why not just splice in to 12 volt system on the 4 wheeler and save the m18 battery for the drill/auger?
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Very cool, I may do the same

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Here's a link to how I run my Vexilar off a m18 battery and power source. My 5ah battery hooked up to my Vex for 6-8 hours will still show a full charge.https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=348722.0
I'm thinking if you are on a 4 wheeler, why not just splice in to 12 volt system on the 4 wheeler and save the m18 battery for the drill/auger?

I've been on the ice with a weak ATV battery which wouldn't start the wheeler a few miles from the truck, it's not fun. Fortunately a buddy had a jump pack with him.  :tipup:

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thank you! Well done...   @)
Jig em up!

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
I brought this up last year as I thought that it "may" be a good idea as it turns out in "my" option it's not such a good idea for electronics.
This is my post from last year.
As you can see in the tests I did the Milwaukee adapter wouldn't even produce 12 volts with a .3 amp load. As the load increased the voltage dropped and it got worse. At a 1.5 amp load the adapter went south (dead) and the blue pixie smoke appeared.
At the very least put an inline fuse between the adapter and the load!
Electronics are very expensive I'm not gonna take a chance.
Your mileage may vary, good luck.

Well for anyone wanting to run "something" off a lithium ion tool battery using an adapter or voltage regulator you may want to look at theses tests that I ran using a Milwaukee M18 power source, a Milwaukee XC5.0 5 amp hr battery and a Drok voltage converter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CNXLDCQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For the Drok I used .5 amps as a random number for a load although I could have used any load (up to 5 amps) and set the Drok at 12.5 volts (adjustable from 1-27 according to Drok).
For the Milwaukee power source I set the load at .3 amps, the voltage is fixed at a whisker under 12 volts (with the .3 amp load).
Vexilar's web shows that most of their flashers are 175-200 ma@12V.

The Milwaukee left a bit to be desired as the voltage fluctuated by almost 1/2 volt the entire test, not something I'd want to plug "my" Velixar into. It "may" (use at your own risk) be fine for led lights or your Milwaukee jacket which it was designed for. It did go for about 12.25 hours.

The Drok held rock solid at 12.5 volts, flat line for almost 13 1/2 hours!
This will be what I'm using to power my Vexilar.

Offline steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
I brought this up last year as I thought that it "may" be a good idea as it turns out in "my" option it's not such a good idea for electronics.
This is my post from last year.
As you can see in the tests I did the Milwaukee adapter wouldn't even produce 12 volts with a .3 amp load. As the load increased the voltage dropped and it got worse. At a 1.5 amp load the adapter went south (dead) and the blue pixie smoke appeared.
At the very least put an inline fuse between the adapter and the load!
Electronics are very expensive I'm not gonna take a chance.
Your mileage may vary, good luck.

So, would you (or are you) wire the Drok voltage converter into the wiring for the new plug for the electronics?  When you have it set up, please post a photo for us electrical/electronics challenged folks.  Thanks in advance.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
I took the guts out of an old Ryobi charger that crapped out on me, stuck that Drok in there, and a USB charger port and hooked it to my Lx9. 

Basement testing So far, a 4 Ah cryobi batt, running in simulator mode, with the camera on and backlight at 50% will last about 6 hours. (If I remember correctly) I didn't really pay much attention to it.  I'll be more interested in seeing the real world results.  Stinking work at the moment is killing my fishing :(

When I get home from work, I'll take a pic and post it

Jason

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
So, would you (or are you) wire the Drok voltage converter into the wiring for the new plug for the electronics?  When you have it set up, please post a photo for us electrical/electronics challenged folks.  Thanks in advance.

I also went with the DROK setup. I bought this adapter from an eBay seller https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-M18-Battery-mount-wired-16AWG-power-lights-e-bike-tools-M18-MSL/202065644061?epid=5004260124&hash=item2f0c0d0a1d:g:qrgAAOSwYRRbLlL5.  I put spade connectors on the output end so that I did not have to tinker with my Marcum power cords. The DROK bolts to the top of the battery adapter and makes a nice compact unit that stays in the flasher while the battery pops out to charge. The eBay adapter is a nice fit.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
I also went with the DROK setup. I bought this adapter from an eBay seller https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-M18-Battery-mount-wired-16AWG-power-lights-e-bike-tools-M18-MSL/202065644061?epid=5004260124&hash=item2f0c0d0a1d:g:qrgAAOSwYRRbLlL5.  I put spade connectors on the output end so that I did not have to tinker with my Marcum power cords. The DROK bolts to the top of the battery adapter and makes a nice compact unit that stays in the flasher while the battery pops out to charge. The eBay adapter is a nice fit.

Looks great! ;D
Great to see someone is printing an adapter, I have used broken handle sets for adapters in the past.
Only think I would add is a fuse between the DROK and what ever your feeding.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie

I couldn't find a pic of the Drok inside the charger csse...  must have deleted it.  Anyway, here it is set up in my makeshift shuttle.  (Don't like that marcum soft case)

Jason

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looks great! ;D
Great to see someone is printing an adapter, I have used broken handle sets for adapters in the past.
Only think I would add is a fuse between the DROK and what ever your feeding.

What size fuse would you suggest?

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
For a starting point, a 2a fuse came on the charging side of my unit.  There was no fuse from the battery to the unit.

Jason

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
As light as the Dakota Lithium batteries are why would you even mess around doing this ? Leave the Milwaukee battery on the drill.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
As light as the Dakota Lithium batteries are why would you even mess around doing this ? Leave the Milwaukee battery on the drill.

Space and weight considerations on the wheeler. The fact many of us already carry a few extra batteries for the drill, and the cost of a dedicated Dakota powerbank for starters. Quite a few are just starting out on the ice and can utilize batteries they already have and use the $$$ they save for other needed gear. :tipup:

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
I think it's the old "want" versus "need"  that raises its head every time something new pops up on the market.  A new doodoo pops up, everyone wants one buts doesn't really need it, they just want to keep up with the Jones and look cool.  This talk about weight and size, seriously,  if you have a problem with an extra pound or two of battery, throw something else out of the bin.  I've been using 12V 7A SLA's for about 30+ years (only on my 3rd) and dammed if I'm going to waste my money on want.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular

For me it's about modularity and redundancy.  If you trudge miles into a spot, extra batteries for everything isn't necessarily feesible.  Having one type that can be used interchangeably has merit.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I think it's the old "want" versus "need"  that raises its head every time something new pops up on the market.  A new doodoo pops up, everyone wants one buts doesn't really need it, they just want to keep up with the Jones and look cool.  This talk about weight and size, seriously,  if you have a problem with an extra pound or two of battery, throw something else out of the bin.  I've been using 12V 7A SLA's for about 30+ years (only on my 3rd) and dammed if I'm going to waste my money on want.

As an aside, this setup will also be used on my kayak which will be carrying additional gear. So weight and space are certainly considerations there as well. I've similarly ice fished over 30 years and started with two 9v square batteries to power a loud, spinning flasher in the 80's lol. Times have changed over the years with many items. Guys who swore they'd never give up gas - or two stroke - augers are more running electrics. You make valid points for yourself, but many are using their portable power too. Tight lines!  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.