New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Wellesley Island / Eel Bay Cottages  (Read 1306 times)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Wellesley Island / Eel Bay Cottages
« on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Has anybody ever stayed at the Eel bay cottages at Wellesley and been able to walk directly out onto Eel bay?  Looking to head that way this weekend and just wondering if you can get down to the ice or if it is impassable.  With the forecast it would be nice to just scamper out rather than having to fool around with the truck.

Blue snow is better than yellow snow

luv2fish2

Re: Wellesley Island / Eel Bay Cottages
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2019, 02:33 PM »
yes i have stay at the cottages and walked off there's a hand launch were everyone parks but its still a couple hundred yards away,  when i stayed there my cottage ( J ) you could not drag a hut down from there but that was 5 years ago lumber in alphabet closer to the launch  hence  "A" is closest

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2019, 02:35 PM »
So pretty much a scamper down with a bucket and no sled?

Thanks for the information!

Offline schwartz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Not really accessible from the cottages. It would be quite the hike back up with that bucket filled with fish. The hand launch before the cottages is basically where you need to go.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Sweet - thanks for the information.  Forecast for this weekend makes it seem like less scampering might be the better option.

Offline Longlegg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:22 PM »
I agree pretty steep bank up to cottages. Also with the drifting snow and wind we got this weekend I'm wondering if snow weight might cause slush on the ice. Hopefully, if wind blew it clear the cold conditions could be good for making ice.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:14 PM »
The cottages were awesome.  Heat, hot water, spacious and comfortable....I think we will be back unless we decided to find an airbnb near redwood and the lakes.  The fishing was so-so as we caught a lot of fish (10" of clear ice on LOTI) - but man did the weather take a turn for the horrible.  Several days in a row when you realize that whole 'shelter' think is one of the elements for survival.  We never made it out on Eel as the boat launch wasn't plowed, it was stupid cold and the wind was blowing....certainly not howling but at -16 ambient a bird passing gas will cut through you.

Being there the bay is inaccessible unless you were to scamper down with a bucket and the auger (mabye).  Probably a 20 foot descent through brush, small trees and rocks.  Regardless the cottages were great and I think I will be trying them again - though not next weekend as they are all sold out.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Not sure if anyone on this thread was in the group that lost your sled on the way to the cottages but if so you should give a big thanks to my brothers as they walked to each unit Saturday after fishing to see if they could find the group that lost them.  'twas  a chilly one.

Offline grubdropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:26 AM »
How much does it cost to book one of those Eel bay cottages and how my people do they accommodate?

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:03 AM »
We were in a 2 room cottage that officially listed 4 people.  One room has two single beds, the other has a full bed and there is a couch that could get the job done for another guy.  So 4 people by the books or 5 people if you want to get cozy with a buddy.

I think there might be 3 room setups but I'm not sure about those.

How much does it cost to book one of those Eel bay cottages and how my people do they accommodate?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.