Author Topic: Spud bars and rope wraps?  (Read 2777 times)

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Spud bars and rope wraps?
« on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:08 PM »
Almost every spud bar I see has a loop or a tag to tie off to. How much rope do you add or wrap around the length, either as a grip or for a safety retrieving rope? Any special knots to know?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Perchinfool34ny

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spud bars and rope wraps?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:11 PM »
I've never seen them for sale, where do you purchase them?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:18 PM »
Mine has a T bar welded across top that is about 7” long

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:54 PM »
A spud is used to check the ice while walking (safety equip) and can be used to open old holes.  If you had a long length of rope attached to it where would you carry the rope coil while you hit the ice with the stud during each step.  The metal ring on the end of a lot of spud bars is for a rope loop to place around your wrist.  Years ago when spud bars were used to cut a hole you needed the wrist rope to prevent the bar from sliding through your hands and down the hole when you broke through the ice.  There are a lot of spuds at the bottom of the lakes for failure to have this rope loop or use it around your wrist.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:30 PM »
Mine has a wrist strap loop. I would suggest avoiding tying it to your hand, just use a loop around your wrist.. a big chunk of heavy steel tied to your hand wouldnt be fun if you fall through. You want to sacrifice the spud ASAP, get it back in the summer with a magnet.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2019, 04:48 AM »
Mine has a wrist strap loop. I would suggest avoiding tying it to your hand, just use a loop around your wrist.. a big chunk of heavy steel tied to your hand wouldnt be fun if you fall through. You want to sacrifice the spud ASAP, get it back in the summer with a magnet.
Good advice, yet every year I see float  suit wearing guys with their wrist looped to ten pounds of steel wandering around checking for thin ice.......don't even use the loop. 

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2019, 05:46 AM »
this what you talking about?

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:26 AM »
I have the Eskimo economy spud bar. Has a ring welded to the top. I have a wrist loop made from green reflective rope attached to it with a carabiner. Works great.

As for a handle wrap, I use the type of rope for a handle. A rope handle sounds like a good idea until you whack the ice 20 times and your handle starts sliding down the length of your bar.

Personally, for a handle wrap, I’d use baseball bat grip tape. You could use the Winn grip tape but it’s much more expensive that bat tape. That stuff isn’t going to slide around.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:36 AM »
My spud is 4 1/2 ft long with a small T on the end.  I have a rope tied to that. The rope is a little longer than half the spud with a loop on.  This way you can still have the rope on your wrist and carry the spud in the center..   jmo..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bigdub22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:51 AM »
Spuds bars are still used to this day to cut new holes . when dudes travel 3 hours and forget the 3 augers back at home. Wasnt fun chipping thru 10+ inches last week on Lake Pleasnt. But sure warmed you up.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2019, 03:47 PM »
this what you talking about?

This is what i did. Works with braided nylon rope. Makes a nice padded handle and comed off in seconds.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2019, 05:40 PM »
I got about a 10 inch loop tied to  mine..enough to get my hand thru and wrap once or twice around my wrist. Aslo have a piece of rebar welded to the top of the loop to make a T for when i chop out holes for a minnow trap
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:39 PM »
My spud is homemade,with a t bar welded on top.I use a loose loop around my wrist,my thinking is with a loose loop I could shake it off if need be.That said,I lost my spud last season because of a loose loop,luckily a strong magnet allowed me to retrieve it.
    I still use a loose loop,but I wrap it once around my wrist ,this way it is a bit snugger ,but I can still shake it off quickly in the event of a breakthrough.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:53 PM »
The paracord wrap might do the trick. I want something as a grip, but more importantly, can be used as an anchored throw rope. A second loose loop for a tether to keep from losing it by accident, but easily slipped off in an emergency.

Thanks for the help

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:09 PM »
It'd suck finding myself anchored to the bottom of a lake because I couldn't let go of a $30 chunk of metal that's sole purpose is to keep me from drowning.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:39 PM »
You’re gonna need a lot of rope wrapped around that handle for a throw rope. Probably much more than what would make using the spud comfortable or practical. My rope handle goes for about a foot and unwrapped it’s only about 40”, if that.

Also, I’m not sure how well a spud bar would be used as an “anchor”. If you actually need to use it, are you going to tell the guy to hold on while you spud an anchoring point? IF it were me, I’d just use the spud for what it’s for and bring an extra coil of rope in case of emergencies.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2019, 11:03 PM »
Well, Pat's twice my weight. So yeah, I'll need an anchor point stronger than my back, knees and Khatoolas. Throw ropes  might be in the sled a hundred yards away. Three or four whacks gives me leverage.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2019, 11:45 PM »
You need 50' minimum for a throw rope. You dont want to be anywhere close to the spot the other guy went through.. and if you drag a rope, you dont want your rescuer to come too close to get the end. Mine is 100'. You arent getting more than about 10' as a handle on the spud.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:54 PM »
I don't want to take the time to unwrap a rope from the shaft of my spud while my buddy is bobbing in the water.  I carry a coil of throw rope tied to a life cushion in my hut.  the hut has a 10' pull rope attached to it. The hut will stay on top of the ice when the pulling person go thru.  The buddy can then grab the throw rope from the hut and toss it to the person in the water.  On my spud only a wrist rope loop.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.