Author Topic: anyone ever use/see these?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: anyone ever use/see these?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2006, 07:15 PM »
http://www.htent.com/Shelters/polar%20deluxe.htm

(Image removed from quote.)

I saw one of these on Guffins Bay during the Lyme fishing derby in February.  Wind was around 20 mph out of the north..this shelter seemed to do as well as any other out there that day...looked like it had about 3 anchors holding it down .  The guys were out there for probably 5-6 hours with it...

My one comment would be, (and I don't say this from experience) it appears that this thing would make you less mobile on the ice, seems like a clam type shelter is torn down/set up in roughly seconds and this thing would have to take a few  minutes to set up with the poles and all, same same for tearing it down to move/find fish....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

trapperdirk

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2006, 08:34 PM »
I just happen to own one and its alright but no good to setup in a high winds and I reccommend to cut the floor completely out as it is slippery like the tarp material and too much BS too get holes aligned and the floor part has no use . I like it for back lakes as it is light and easy to carry like a fold up chair but it definately does not compare to a flipover style shelter in high winds . ;) Price is right but it has limitations .

TD

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2006, 09:12 PM »
i was mainly curious about winds and set-up.  Thanks for the info.  Looking into an easily portable shanty for next season.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2006, 08:52 AM »
Travis: In the last 2 traders guide that you can buy at sheetz someone has had two of the flip type shelters for sale. I don't know waht part of pa he lives in but it might be around your area. If i get one this week and i see the ad i'll get the phone number if you have any interest.   dave

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2006, 11:57 AM »
I used a tent about 15 years ago and the initial set up is a pain. I ended up giving it to a friend. He found the best way to deal with the set up was to only lay the tent down on its back when he was done fishing and push the front to the back so it was now flat (still wide & bulky) and he just laid it that way in the back of his truck. He never took the poles out. I didn't have a truck at the time so I didn't have that option. It worked very slick and he just used a couple wire ties to hold it together when it was folded together. Set up was nearly instantaneous. I agree the floor in this type of tent is pointless, mine never had one. Back then the tent was about thirty bucks and a heck of a good deal.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2006, 12:20 PM »
Travis: In the last 2 traders guide that you can buy at sheetz someone has had two of the flip type shelters for sale. I don't know waht part of pa he lives in but it might be around your area. If i get one this week and i see the ad i'll get the phone number if you have any interest.   dave
Thanks Dave.  My email is [email protected]  if i don't reply or see it here.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2006, 07:47 PM »
Travis: I tried to e-mail but it got bounced back to me. I didn't make it to sheetz today for the guide and i'm going to lake erie tomorrow but i'll get one friday. Also i was looking at a cabelas ad i got in the mail 2 weeks ago and they have a bunch of shantys on sale for $40 to $100 off. Maybe you can find it thru their website if you didn't get a flier. It was not the one for the wheeling store but was mail order. They had shappel, clam, eskimo and frabil ones on sale. If you can't find it e-mail me an i'll reply witht he models and prices. You also needed to give a code on the sale thing. You can e-mail me at foy @ shol. com if you want but run it all together. If you find any active panfish in this area i'd appreciate it if you let me know. I will hit cranberry but i've never got any there till around 10 days after the trout opener at best.   dave

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2006, 11:34 PM »
Dave,
  I did get your email and replied.   I will be getting out soon for pannies, and if I have any luck, i'll let you know.  I was thinking of going up cranberry this weekend or next, but don't know for sure yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.