Author Topic: Trapping crawfish under the ice  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Piltzviller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cruising through life one ice hole at a time...
Trapping crawfish under the ice
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:48 PM »
Howdy all, anyone ever try to trap crawfish under the ice?

Offline paguy15545

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Trapping crawfish under the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:16 PM »
i have no idea!!! I know they go to deep water for winter  cut a big hole and drop ur trap

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:06 PM »
Never seen one in winter. They dig into the mud and basically hibernate.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:59 PM »
put meat in trap like stinky livers find a rocky creek.deep hole,toss in trap over night i pick them up trapping chubs all the time
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:32 PM »
 ;D I catch crawdads all the time thru the ice on a minnow I've had too close to bottom. Hungry buggers just won't let go! My Chessie loved 'em like they were his favorite doggie treat. See 'em on my camera or under clear ice in shallow (4 to 10ft) water so I would suppose a fella should be able to trap "em. :thumbsup:

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2019, 01:01 AM »
I see quite a few sight fishing perch in shallow water.  They'll steal bits of chum so they're definitely feeding.  Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Offline Yellowstoner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2019, 02:57 AM »
I've never tried to trap them through the ice or in open water, but I'm definitely interested in what everyone comes up with for a solution.  Is it legal?

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:08 AM »
I've never tried to trap them through the ice or in open water, but I'm definitely interested in what everyone comes up with for a solution.  Is it legal?

That would all depend on State you are in. As many folks don't care to even share which State they are from, it makes these type of questions extremely hard to answer.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Say you catch a crawfish or two....then what do you do with it?  Just curious...pretty tough to fit one on a 2.5mm tungsten .

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:04 AM »
We catch quite a few crayfish thru the ice here in Utah. Not so much intentionally but they won't let go of baits when pulled up. So if you were out to target them; I would use same bait as you do in summer. Most people here use chicken legs. Its tough skin and meat hold up good for crayfish to latch onto. As far as traps go, there are restrictions on how big of a hole you can cut, so fitting a trap down may be feasible. Although a small dipnet on string may work. When we do catch them thru ice, we break them apart and use pieces as bait on jigs. Just the Sam's adding piece of nightcrawler or waxie.

Offline Piltzviller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cruising through life one ice hole at a time...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:46 AM »
Seems to be legal in Montana. They are classified along with worms and can be used as bait any where worms can.
Thanks for the help folks. It's not actually me trapping, but my fishing buddy. I wanted to make sure I wasn't sending her on a fools errand!

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:16 AM »
Say you catch a crawfish or two....then what do you do with it?  Just curious...pretty tough to fit one on a 2.5mm tungsten .

We catch a lot of perch through the ice on a pink #6 hook with a minnow.  Who knows they might like a crawdad.

Crawdads do not hibernate, but they slow way down in the winter, they can be found in the warmer water too, so go deep in the rocks to catch them.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:46 PM »
Don’t know for sure but I would check your state Regis to make sure there is not a season.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:48 PM »
I thought they hibernated in the winter but back about a month ago I went to break ice on our goose pond and when I shined my headlight in the water about a dozen of them took off scurrying under the ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:23 AM »
Looks like I can still learn something new! Even at 68.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:30 AM »
They’re always making me think that I have a bite while fishing for Burbot at Flaming Gorge. I dropped a trap down two years ago with no luck. Might have to send a GoPro down to see what the problem was as far as trapping them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.