Ice Fishing VT Board sponsored by

Author Topic: Tipups without live bait?  (Read 725 times)

Offline PerchReaper

• IceShanty Rookie
Tipups without live bait?
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Have any of you tried using tipups for pike or walleye without live bait? I've heard hotdogs can work or maybe night crawlers. Just curious since a bishop is a little out of the way for me.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tipups without live bait?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:33 PM »
i use crawlers ice fishing but on ice rods and dead stick them would be the same on a tip up i would think. hot dogs work also although i havent used them but i have seen others catch some nice fish on them. later in the ice fishing season february and march crawlers seem to work better than live bait for me

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:09 PM »
I've used hot dogs and both caught and missed fish, as esox_xtm can attest to!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:25 AM »
Start off with what you have, then try jigging small
Perch for bait.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:49 AM »
We bring tipups with us a lot when we don't buy bait.  My son and I throw small perch on the tipups as we catch them.  Last weekend we ended up with about 7 tipups out, because that was how many perch we caught that were in the right size range.  Had several flags and caught a 30"/7lb pike on one of them.  It works.

It's funny, almost every pike I clean has small bluegills in them.  I would love to use them as bait, but I just can't seem to catch any quite small enough.  Usually catch plenty of small perch, though.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:08 AM »
crayfish2 good post live perch work very well for pike my father taught me that in the 1950,s caught lots of nice pike on them

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:32 AM »
I've had plenty of luck with hot dogs, though I get considerably more flags with swimming bait.

Offline bigcat61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:45 AM »
if ya want to catch some catfish, try some shrimp on the bottom-  that's works..      :tipup:  ;D

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:53 AM »
It's funny, almost every pike I clean has small bluegills in them.  I would love to use them as bait, but I just can't seem to catch any quite small enough.  Usually catch plenty of small perch, though.

I use a LOT of bluegill open water fishing for pike.  I think you would be surprised how big of a bluegill they will take.  Unless they are complete jumbos that scream for a frying pan, throw them on a hook!

Tip= Downrigger clips on the bottom of the tip up for big bait ;)

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:53 AM »
i use blue gills all summer long for catfish and i have caught nice pike and bass that way.

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:26 AM »
I always have one rod with light line and a microjig/spike. Usually easy to catch small perch and sunnies of all sizes.  Closer to shore w/weeds for the smaller ones.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:34 AM »
We bring tipups with us a lot when we don't buy bait.  My son and I throw small perch on the tipups as we catch them.  Last weekend we ended up with about 7 tipups out, because that was how many perch we caught that were in the right size range.  Had several flags and caught a 30"/7lb pike on one of them.  It works.

be sure to check your state and water regs before doing this. only non-edible portions of perch can be used as bait in Montana.
"How was your weekend?" "It was great!" "What did you do?" "I stared into a hole for 8 hours a day.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:36 AM »
A little different here ... most "non-game" species can be used for bait.  Thanks for the tip, though!

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:46 AM »
A little different here ... most "non-game" species can be used for bait.  Thanks for the tip, though!

Same for me growing up on the east, and I caught so many big bass and pickerel on bluegills. As other's have stated, big fish will take a pretty big bluegill, but dropping a tiny jig or gold hook down into shallow weeds can bring up some great bait sized gills.
"How was your weekend?" "It was great!" "What did you do?" "I stared into a hole for 8 hours a day.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2019, 02:08 PM »

fish carry bay you’ll get some
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.