The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 6" Nils and Drill not working!  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 6" Nils and Drill not working!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:09 PM »
What type of drill are you using? I bought a Ryobi and it didn't work on my 8". It didn't skip, but it stalled. Perhaps your drill doesn't have enough booty to initially bite into the ice. I use the Milwaukee now.
  I have a Rigid 18 volt 1300 lb. torque drill. I've put my new blade on but haven't been able to try it. I'm sending my other one to Frank and just waiting for his response to see what I have to do.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:29 PM »
X2 and I am a long time Nils user.  I have spent less $$$ on my 8" Nils (w/ M18 for power, was IceGator head), maintenance wise, than most spend on blades for their augers.
Don't get mewrong, there is a place for all augers and we, as users, get to make that decision.

I agree, PM Frank (Sharp Nils, on this site) and see what he has to say; everyone else is just guessing at what your problem might be.

How often do you send out your blade to be sharpened? and do you have a spare? How much did it cost?

Offline Jakemanges123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:21 PM »
Your pressing down too hard!

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Phil
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:25 PM »
How often do you send out your blade to be sharpened? and do you have a spare? How much did it cost?
I've had 2 - 8" heads for 9 years.  Each of them has been in for sharpening once.  I will send one back after this season (unless I hit something in the ice).  I never redrill an old hole.
Shrp Nils, on here, can answer your question about how much he is currently charging.  It will be his fee plus shipping, both ways.
Retired!

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:46 PM »
  This is the second time I'm sending this head to get sharpened.. I'm only doing it to see if this is the problem I had with the drill..  AS Fishforpike said it's $20 plus shipping both ways. It's well worth it when you see the price of a new head.. Frank returns it the same day he recieves it. I do have a spare!

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:43 AM »
I just shipped mine and it was $20 and $9. 85 Priority mail.  Clerk said prices are going up for all Postal items so you better ship now!!! ;D

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:53 AM »
I've had 2 - 8" heads for 9 years.  Each of them has been in for sharpening once.  I will send one back after this season (unless I hit something in the ice).  I never redrill an old hole.
Shrp Nils, on here, can answer your question about how much he is currently charging.  It will be his fee plus shipping, both ways.

IDK how you do it, mine wouldn't cut anymore after half a season (with multiple people using it).  So that is around 160 bucks for the extra head and sharpening for the past 9 years, not bad.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:38 PM »
(with multiple people using it). 

That could be a major problem right there.... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...

Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Phil
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:51 PM »
That could be a major problem right there.... ;)
Likely correct!
Retired!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:15 PM »

If someone needs holes I cut them
I learned the hard way never again , I average about every 5 years

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:27 PM »
If someone needs holes I cut them
I learned the hard way never again , I average about every 5 years

Everyone who used it was experienced, but I know what you mean. I don't like to baby my gear so nils is a no go for me. So far I'm at 3 seasons on chipper blades and really like the low maintenance.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:16 AM »
   The blade needs service which includes adjustment with sharpening.   
Just for clarification, set the drill to speed 1 in drill mode.  I ease into the trigger till the blade has made its initial bite then full trigger till the hole is complete and no feathering.  The transition is probably less then a second.  At some point in time the blade when the dulls or dinged its not going to start a hole.  I just like anyone else is going to put down pressure and that isn't going to hurt anything. If you need to do that, apply the pressure throughout the hole.
 Its an indication the blade isn't cutting 100% so send it in or keep using it till it no longer cuts.  If you really need to lean on it your going to put more of a load on the drill then you should be.   Could you bend the blades, yes but I'll adjust that when the blade is here.  Bend the mount on any other auger and it'll stay that way.

Right now my ice conditions are 12" of wet ice, 4" layer water, 3" frozen slush on top.   After breaking through the 3" frozen layer its like drilling through 12" of mush.  Eventually that'll all freeze tight but for now you don't get that satisfying feeling like you do with dry ice chips coming up as the Nils bores down on its own.  If you can drill a hole in those wet conditions thats good enough.

Frank DeLuca

frankbdeluca@yahoo.com

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Thanks Frank! You made me feel better! I hope it is a case of the head needing sharpening. I  mailed it out on Thur.. Good Luck with it. I have a new spare but haven't been able to get out and try it! :)

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.