This board sponsored in part by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 66070 times)

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #900 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Iceland St Croix Eyecon or Legend series 7'6 medium light fast action tip

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #901 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:53 AM »
Is Chapman not a great starting point to walk out for walleyes?  I've been out a few times there so far this season in 30-34 FOW and have only been in perch.  They've been big & plentiful perch, but not wallys.  Might have to expand my range some.
Go to the east along the shoal drops and you'll find eyes. Do you have navionics on your phone? If so look on it for spots to try. Little bit of a hike but if cleaner ice not too bad.

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #902 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Oh, I see it now...a little cooler under the fish! Jake! That's kinda like cheating isn't it?

Aw, just joking Jake. You know Freddie knows all the tricks. ;D

It's still a full cooler to me  :o
Lol itís a full size cooler overflowing of fish , 2 day haul in the cooler . No gimmicks .

Offline pkosatka09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #903 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:01 AM »
Go to the east along the shoal drops and you'll find eyes. Do you have navionics on your phone? If so look on it for spots to try. Little bit of a hike but if cleaner ice not too bad.

wondering what exact app you guys have?
trying too look for the best one but can't decide on it

Online scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #904 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:18 AM »
gotta just say that people amaze me......fished this morning before the storm started til 9 and the wind was a bit nasty but not horrible.....was getting worse when I was leaving.......the amazing part is that when I was coming off the ice there were 2 guys on machines just heading out.......watching the forecast for late morning thru this evening was saying nasty conditions with strong winds and whitout conditions.....after the episodes from a couple weeks ago why do people put themselves in harms way for a few fish knowing what is coming.......I just don't get it........rant over ;).....p.s.....the bite sucked this morning

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #905 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:20 AM »
I've been using a bass pro walleye series 7' med light one pc. fast action, nice rod.

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #906 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:23 AM »
wondering what exact app you guys have?
trying too look for the best one but can't decide on it
I've had navionics on my phone since they came out it and I think it was $4.99 one time buy back then and I'm grandfathered into the new version.  It's a great tool.  It's now boating USA, I think.  I haven't tried anything other than that one and I don't know if there is anything better out there.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #907 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:29 AM »
Yeah Scout hope they brought goggles, the last guy ended up with scratched corneas from trying to see his way through the wind blown snow.

Online scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #908 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:35 AM »
Yeah Scout hope they brought goggles, the last guy ended up with scratched corneas from trying to see his way through the wind blown snow.
neither one had helmuts on ???......as we speak its gusting to 40 mph and whiteout on the south shore.......

Offline Hardwater2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #909 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:14 AM »
I've had navionics on my phone since they came out it and I think it was $4.99 one time buy back then and I'm grandfathered into the new version.  It's a great tool.  It's now boating USA, I think.  I haven't tried anything other than that one and I don't know if there is anything better out there.
Iím also interested in this app. Is it the boating app that has the detailed structure maps?? I also see the have a fishing app now too?? Please help

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #910 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:17 AM »
neither one had helmuts on ???......as we speak its gusting to 40 mph and whiteout on the south shore.......

When I was a kid we never wore helmets on sleds or wheelers. Now I never get on my sled without a helmet on. Obviously it is for safety but keeping the wind and snow out of your eyes is priceless.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #911 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:41 AM »
yup i got up this morning went back to bed plus i have yet to do very good just before a front this year

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #912 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:43 AM »

I'm using the boating USA one. think it was 9.99 when I first bought it. Just updated and waypoints all tansferred

Offline Theval

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #913 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:27 PM »
The girlfriend and I are headed back up Thursday afternoon,  going to bring the wheeler and hope its useable lol

Online scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #914 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:33 PM »
When I was a kid we never wore helmets on sleds or wheelers. Now I never get on my sled without a helmet on. Obviously it is for safety but keeping the wind and snow out of your eyes is priceless.
yessir

Online scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #915 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:40 PM »
I rest my case.......heard there's an ice rescue out of Lewis point as we speak......with the technology of todays world it's hard to believe that some people can't get it.....hope they are safe and sound though.......damn

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #916 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:51 PM »
I rest my case.......heard there's an ice rescue out of Lewis point as we speak......with the technology of todays world it's hard to believe that some people can't get it.....hope they are safe and sound though.......damn

What kind of Ice Rescue are we talking, someone go threw?
Paul

Online scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #917 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:53 PM »
What kind of Ice Rescue are we talking, someone go threw?
don't know.......I would think with white out conditions that it was a lost way situation

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #918 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:55 PM »

I heard but canít verify , 1 got wet and 2 others were lost do to visibility
  In the Lewis point area

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #919 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Just saw a news feed that the rescuers out looking for the person who requested help ran into two others that needed help as well.  All three were reported safe and on shore, although a little shaken up.  Glad everyone is safe.  Guess I've gotten softer in my old age but I'm checking wind and weather 3 days out before I start to commit to a day on the ice.  And I always double check the morning of before making the drive. 

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #920 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:09 PM »
I wouldn't call that soft...  In all my years I've never seen a fox out hunting when the wind is cranking sideways. Yup my dad called  common sense, being "dumb like a fox".

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #921 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Here's a piece on the rescue...
https://cnycentral.com/news/local/firefighters-rescue-3-ice-fishermen-on-oneida-lake-in-whiteout-conditions

...Common sense ain't so common...A compass is a very valuable tool to have and costs less then a 12 pack of beer...

I can't remember hearing about calls of being lost on the ice when I fished in the 80s and 90s. Was there 911 then, lol?

I remember one guy getting lost and it was reported and on the news. In the morning Paul Helwig, aka the Hippie was a guide at the time out of Spruce Grove Marina, went out in the am and found the guy in one of his rental shanties. He spent the night in it...it had a heater...

If you don't have a compass, buy one! It's just that simple...if the battery on your phone or your gps dies, at least you can head in the right direction...

My iphone even has a compass...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #922 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:13 PM »
not a month ago I went threw a   disagreement  with a bunch of  guys because I   carry a compass on my  jacket and  one in my shanty ..... 3 bucks  and it pins on your  jacket  .......

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #923 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:15 PM »
I saw that there was a rescue on sodus Bay also today

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #924 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:23 PM »
I remember that one Dug.

I also remember the father of one of the guys I went to high school with getting stuck out there overnight. I think his sled wouldnít start and he stayed in his shanty all night. He was doing push ups to stay warm.

Offline icejohn

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #925 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Compasses are cheap and can be life savers....remember years ago people would plant old Christmas trees across the lake so if you come across them you could follow them to shore....am I remembering correctly?

Offline Frogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #926 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:33 PM »

Hope they are OK but sometimes you just can't fix stupid. We had a similar discussion about a week ago with the polar vortex and the white out conditions then. No common sense at all.  For a few stupid fish.

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #927 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Yes icejohn your memory is correct. Paul Helwig put trees out from Spruce Grove Marina to buoy 125.
It was a great help in an whiteout for sure. Those were the days reeleyz. ;D
Eagle flashers and Fish Traps, that's when I stopped fishing while sitting on a bucket! :o ::)

Offline dox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #928 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:50 PM »
Hope they are OK but sometimes you just can't fix stupid. We had a similar discussion about a week ago with the polar vortex and the white out conditions then. No common sense at all.  For a few stupid fish.
[/quote

You can"t fix stupid is absolutely  correct! It's one thing getting caught in an unexpected squall with whiteout which does happen and going on the ice knowing what is coming are two  different things. Putting a lot of folks in peril is not good.....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #929 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:50 PM »
well i'm sure it's a learning  experience for  these  3  fellas  and i'm  glad  they  are all ok ..... 

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.