The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
visit derby website

Author Topic: Power Auger Recommendations  (Read 2905 times)

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Power Auger Recommendations
« Reply #60 on: Jan 05, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I didn't realize it when I bought it that the Nils was an upgrade from the Jiffy. If battery power doesn't work out in the long run I'll go back to the Nils before I go back to an internal combustion auger. I'll try a 7 or 8 inch before going back to my 6 inch Nils. I won't know if the larger hole is worth the additional effort until I try.

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Like I said guys, there is a reason why they make more then one kind or brand of "everything".  If everyone bought Chevys, there would be no need for Fords!  Enjoy whichever brand or type you use.  You must use it for a reason.

Offline bassguy9514

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 05, 2019, 09:06 PM »
I have a 10 inch  Eskimo for 15 years and wouldnt trade it for anything....to me gas rules, doesnt bind up, plenty of power and no freezing issues, its a little heavy, but worth it to me as i have no worries about performance

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2019 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #63 on: Jan 06, 2019, 06:47 PM »
After 3 Jiffy's and using numerous other brands these past 40 years I decided to go electric.  Watched every conceivable video, read discussions on forums and actually talked to people that used the drill setups (great for weight savings) and Lithium purpose built augers.  Settled on the Strikemaster 40v Lithium.  Guys and gals I'm telling you, the auger is a beast on the ice.  Totally impressed.  Used it on Moosehead with my son Saturday, granted, only 13 to 14" of ice but we drilled 27 holes with a 10" auger and at the end of the day I still had 3 of 4 bars left.  My last Jiffy Pro 3 HP with 10" auger was just not fun drilling for the grandkids or multiple locations.  I let everyone that "wants" to try drilling a hole do so just so they can make comparisons.  ONLY drawback is the price, $600+ but I consider it a key component of my ice fishing enjoyment. By the way, my Jiffy's were totally dependable over the years, just HEAVY!
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated Cabin
Older Ski-Doo Grand Touring
Jack Traps

Offline jtlambo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay thirsty my friends....
« Reply #64 on: Jan 06, 2019, 10:51 PM »
X2.  Plus there's nothing like the blat of a Jiffy auger at first light on a cold morning @)
AGREED!

Offline paulamaxim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing grammie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:23 PM »
My husband bought me my own auger for Christmas!!!  I now use a strike master electric with a 10" bit.  It is light, only about 22 lbs and I can carry it and drill holes as long as I want!  It is a beast drilling holes!  The only thing you hear is the ice cutting!  No funes, no pulling to start!  Just push the button and off I go!  I'd highly recommend it!

Offline Patriots Pole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:29 PM »
I bought an Eskimo 8" Hand Auger-60 bucks. Bought a Brocraft drill bit adapter-15 Bucks and I already had a 20 Volt Dewalt drill. Its works awesome, just hold onto it when it get down towards the crusty ice on the bottom..

Offline clamfarmer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Feb 13, 2019, 08:39 AM »
all the electrics are great until you have some slush layers, then they are useless. i have the ion 8in . i just sold and strikemaster 10in lazer electric 50 amp and both completely stall out drilling w/ any slush in the hole. ask temper. he has the 8in kdrill w/ the same issue. keep your old jiffy for the late season ice. ;)

Never go anywhere w/o your backup!!! It wonít do you any good in your shed!!!

I AM looking HARD at that Strikemaster 40V for next year. OH YEAH, My birthday is June 15.  ;D :angel :icefish:
"You canít buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and thatís kind of the same thing.Ē 

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.