Author Topic: Marking an old spearing hole?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
Marking an old spearing hole?
« on: Dec 22, 2018, 12:53 PM »
I know that when leaving an existing open or slightly froze over spear hole, it is best to leave a marker warning others of the thin ice spot.

My friend uses brush/small dead limbs found along the shoreline.  This is great, provided those materials available. What about when they are not readily available? What do guys use to mark the hole, that is "OK" or acceptable to leave out there on the ice?  I don't want to litter, but I don't want to create an unsafe sitation either.

Some wood laths with some type of flagging?  Colored paper mache as flagging?  Last long enough till the ice freezes solid yet will deteriotate after that?

take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Marking an old spearing hole?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:17 PM »
If you know youíre going spearing, grab branches and put them with your gear before you leave.no shortage of branches laying around.i grab some green evergreen pine branches and put them in my truck the day before.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:21 PM »
The guys who spear on our lake leave the block of ice, taken out of the hole, next to the edge of the hole.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:47 PM »
The guys who spear on our lake leave the block of ice, taken out of the hole, next to the edge of the hole.

I've heard of that but thought most guys then put the block back in the hole when leaving.  If I left a big block of ice on the surface, I'd be worried of someone running into it with a snowmobile, especially if it was covered with fresh snow. 
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:55 PM »
I've heard of that but thought most guys then put the block back in the hole when leaving.  If I left a big block of ice on the surface, I'd be worried of someone running into it with a snowmobile, especially if it was covered with fresh snow.

I have heard complaints from snowmobilers that they cant see the blocks of ice until itís too late.   Not enough contrast.  Iím not an experienced spearer but I have been grabbing evergreen branches on my ride out if I drag my spear along. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:55 PM »
.         Yeah, canít see it, and would be bad news to hit with a sled or atv !!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2018, 12:11 PM »
I always put my block back in the hole making sure it is laying flat.

I Always put brush with surveyors ribbon to mark the hole. Once it's frozen in place I go back and remove the ribbon.

WS

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Usually use a good sized branch or a brightly painted wood dowel. In ND it's the law to have a marker in possession before making a hole larger than 10"

Offline crittrgittr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:49 PM »

Evergreen branches of any kind, work the best.
Contrast against the snow is good.
Show up well after dark also.
Some types of Oak limbs that hold their leaves late, work good too.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2019, 03:33 PM »
 a couple years ago, with the event of Christmas, I would bring home a discarded Christmas tree, put it in the back yard, and it would be my brush for the year

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.