Author Topic: Buddy heater  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Jeffrey

• IceShanty Rookie
Buddy heater
« on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Why is it they recommend a fuel filter on the heater if you use some hoses and external tanks?
But the Mr. Heater 10' hose I bought says the filter isn't necessary. I figured I may as well just put the filter
On anyway. Or am I just wasting 10 more bucks  ???
The only thing we learn from history is that, we don't learn from
History! 🇺🇸

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Buddy heater
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:23 AM »
My understanding is they treat hoses with some different things that can end up clogging up the system. I have also hear that certain new hoses do not have that issue. If it were me, I would buy the filter anyway. I have no need to mess with shortcuts when it comes to flammable gases inside a small hut.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Just got my 10ft in yesterday, says right on the packaging no filter needed. Im not planning on using one.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Ive been using the 10 ft hose without a filter for a couple seasons and haven't had any problems.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:37 AM »
Hoses other than the 10' Mr Heater should be used with a filter because some oils and other impurities can leach out of them when under high pressure. These impurities can plug tiny openings in a Buddy Heater.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:42 AM »
Hoses other than the 10' Mr Heater should be used with a filter because some oils and other impurities can leach out of them when under high pressure. These impurities can plug tiny openings in a Buddy Heater.

Same as with filling of the small tanks....eventually crap from inside of the tank makes it out and clogs things up....but it may be years before that happens to you if ever...at the same time could be the second time out....

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Also, does anyone have issues with 10 or 20lb tanks freezing up? I bought the hose so I can avoid using 1lb tanks (freeze), but I remember a friend freezing a 20lb last year 
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:44 AM »
It is caused by the plasticizer used in the hoses.    The propane and temps break down the plasticizer which in turn clogs things up downstream.    Mr Heater has approved some hoses that don’t have this plasticizer.  The plasticizer improves flexibility so the problem with the “approved” hose is that it turns into a broomstick when it’s really cold out and we all know how hard it is to bend or coil up a broomstick.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Same as with filling of the small tanks....eventually crap from inside of the tank makes it out and clogs things up....but it may be years before that happens to you if ever...at the same time could be the second time out....

No this is actually incorrect.   Propane is clean.  Refill all you want.  No worries

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:03 AM »
If you use a pressure regulator at the tank ,a filter Isn’t needed.  The chemicals in the hoses only come out under high-pressure. And that is from Mr. heater.
Bob P.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:09 AM »
If you use the 10 foot hose you don’t need a filter either.  Specially made to eliminate the need for filter.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:10 AM »
If you use a pressure regulator at the tank ,a filter Isn’t needed.  The chemicals in the hoses only come out under high-pressure. And that is from Mr. heater.

From what I understand, the 10ft doesnt need a regulator or filter if running off a 5-20lb tank
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:29 AM »
From what I understand, the 10ft doesnt need a regulator or filter if running off a 5-20lb tank
That’s only if you use the hose
Bob P.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:35 AM »
That’s only if you use the hose  made by Mr. heater
Only to 10 foot hose!!!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:40 AM »
I contacted Mr. Heater about this in 2016.
They do not recommend a regulator at the tank. Here was their response:

"The reason a filter is needed is to keep the oils from a propane hose out of the buddy heater. Here is what happens. High pressure propane will squeeze rubber, and when the rubber is squeezed the oils can come out of it. Now in most cases when we are using bbq grills and other forced air propane heaters, the first thing coming off of the propane source is a regulator. That regulator will only allow low pressure gas to pass through itself and into the hose. This setup is perfectly safe because low pressure propane will not squeeze out any oils when it passes through rubber. The buddy heaters have regulators attached to the heater itself, so when we connect those heaters to a 20lb or larger propane source, we don't want a regulator at the propane source because we will then be double regulating the propane and the heater wont light properly. So only with the buddy heaters do we have high pressure propane traveling through a hose and to the heater before it gets to the internal regulator, and that high pressure propane as it travels will pull oils out of the hose. The filter, when attached to the internal regulator, will collect those oils and keep them from entering the heater and building up and causing problems down the road. The filter should be replaced about every 1-2 years, depending on usage."
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:44 AM »
i use a filter all the time

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2018, 12:44 PM »
$10 insurance to help ensure that I will be warm while in my shack...I use a filter
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:51 PM »
I run the 10' hose no filter, I put my little 5LB tank in my tub. Heater goes up front by the door, run hose along side.

Works pretty good, my only issue is having heater by door. Works good for cooking also

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:45 PM »
If you run your hose under the wall of the hub to a 5 lb tank outside, make sure you have a spud bar or redneck chisel to chip the tank out, or it will stay put on the lake. This seems to happen when the sun melts the ice during the day and it freezes when it gets dark.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2018, 05:48 AM »
I've tried it with and without the filter.  After a year or two, I get clogs in the hose, not the heater.  First time it happened, I fought with it for hours before I finally figured out it was the hose itself that was getting clogged.  Now I just use it without the filter and haven't had any problems with the heater itself.  If you're using it with a bigger tank and hose, make sure to bring along a small bottle or two, just in case.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2018, 05:55 AM »
If you run your hose under the wall of the hub to a 5 lb tank outside, make sure you have a spud bar or redneck chisel to chip the tank out, or it will stay put on the lake. This seems to happen when the sun melts the ice during the day and it freezes when it gets dark.

Just bring an old car floor mat to set it on and your good to go......   ;)
And they work well under your feet.....   
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2018, 09:23 AM »
...The buddy heaters have regulators attached to the heater itself, so when we connect those heaters to a 20lb or larger propane source, we don't want a regulator at the propane source because we will then be double regulating the propane and the heater wont light properly....

That is very interesting, as they sell a regulated hose for the Big Buddy:

http://www.mrheater.com/12ft-big-buddy-hose-with-regulator.html

And I use it with an 11 lb. tank.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2018, 09:31 AM »
 :-\ Ok guys. I just sent back a hose for my Buddy heater I ordered from Amazon. The description (picture) showed a green hose that I understand is the "safe" one to reduce oil purging into the tiny orifices in my Big Buddy Heater. I got a black one and sent it back. Should I have kept it? I'm a bit leery of receiving things that aren't exactly as ordered.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:07 AM »
:-\ Ok guys. I just sent back a hose for my Buddy heater I ordered from Amazon. The description (picture) showed a green hose that I understand is the "safe" one to reduce oil purging into the tiny orifices in my Big Buddy Heater. I got a black one and sent it back. Should I have kept it? I'm a bit leery of receiving things that aren't exactly as ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CFWF5U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is exactly what I ordered, it says "safe with no filter" directly on the packaging
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:28 AM »
I use the black hose and the filter just to be on the safe side.  Just saying.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2018, 01:45 PM »

Just bring an old car floor mat to set it on and your good to go......   ;)
And they work well under your feet.....
Good idea!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2018, 01:48 PM »
I would just get the black hose and filter to be safe.  There's no way I'm running redundant regulators.  I'm not sure what the big fuss is about over the filter.  They are only $10.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:29 PM »
 ;D Thanks for the prompt input guys! I've been using a Big Buddy heater in my 27 ft 5th wheel in the winter for about 8 years now as "auxiliary" heat. Saves battery keeping forced air fan from coming on so much. Works great but a couple years ago I had to replace it 'cause orifices were plugged with that oily stuff. I have been running it with a filter since then (20 lb aux tank) and following the instructions by shutting it off at the tank vs at the heater. No problems but I felt changing the filter and the hose to a green one (black hose now) might be a good "ounce of prevention." Guess I'll need to start reading the data on the package instead of just looking at the pictures ;D Glad Amazon has a great return policy for folks like me :clap: Have a great season everyone and TAKE A KID FISHIN!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.