The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: how close is close enough  (Read 6721 times)

Offline jiginit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • That's my story and stickin to it
Re: how close is close enough
« Reply #60 on: Dec 20, 2018, 07:01 PM »
how do you get a 9/10-digit ALS number?

If your month of birth is in the first 9 months you dont need the zero, 01 etc.., just omit the zero, for 9#s

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #61 on: Dec 20, 2018, 07:51 PM »
thanks mtoutdoorsman.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:29 PM »
cant think of a place I havent been checked. Did we decide that having a picture of your license on your phone is adequate proof of licensing?
There is a place on the FWP website that one can download your fishing license and yes according to FWP (Helena) when I called them a number of years ago it is legal if it's on your phone.
Here is the link. https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpExtPortal/login/login.jsp.
Either login or create an account and then log in. Once in it shows all your licenses which you can then have them e-mailed to you. Then load on your what ever you have thingy.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #63 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:44 PM »
Right on! Thank you:)

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:14 PM »
on the same water in a boat you have to stay 40 feet away. not sure why it's not the case with out the boat.
Because in a boat, you are casting. Actually, in a boat it should be more like a minimum of  50 yards.  Ice Fishing, you are fishing vertically.  Someone could be 20 feet away and it wouldn't be that big of a deal.  I am saying this from a fish catching standpoint.  Even ice fishing, 20 feet is too close for me.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #66 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:36 PM »
If your month of birth is in the first 9 months you dont need the zero, 01 etc.., just omit the zero, for 9#s
Wow.
how do you get a 9/10-digit ALS number?
Buy a fishing license. Month is two numbers, day is two numbers, year is four numbers and depending on the order you received an initial fishing license you would either have one or two numbers tagged on, which makes it  a 9 or 10 number als.

Offline KatJohn7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:38 PM »
It seems  to me at some  places I fish you  got people  that drill  multiple holes and  only use one. They take up lots of  room to  keep people away. So should  you intrude on them or give them space?

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 20, 2018, 11:57 PM »
I would think, give them the same amount of space as you would if they had only a few holes drilled. I mean, they can't Swiss cheese the whole lake and expect people to stay away.

Offline jiginit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • That's my story and stickin to it
« Reply #69 on: Dec 21, 2018, 05:49 AM »
Wow.Buy a fishing license. Month is two numbers, day is two numbers, year is four numbers and depending on the order you received an initial fishing license you would either have one or two numbers tagged on, which makes it  a 9 or 10 number als.
WoW. Apparently Ive had the wrong # on my shelter all this time and the time I was checked either he didnt care or was alright with it.
ALS stands for Automated Licensing System. An ALS number is assigned by date of birth, followed by 1-3 digits sequentially. All applicants applying since 2001 will have an ALS number. If you have not applied since 2001, you will be assigned an ALS number once you apply for or purchase a license. Call our Licensing Division at (406) 444-2950 if you have questions.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 21, 2018, 11:57 AM »
It seems  to me at some  places I fish you  got people  that drill  multiple holes and  only use one. They take up lots of  room to  keep people away. So should  you intrude on them or give them space?

I tend to stay mobile and will bounce holes often and usually will swiss cheese an area I expect to hold fish and then bounce till I find em or if I don't move on.  I usually try to keep  20 yds or more from other anglers but if I have a 100 yard string of holes drilled out I definitely don't think I own that chunk of water and if people want to fish in that area it's public water.  That being said, if someone rolls up and doesn't say hi and starts fishing holes I've drilled and am working to it definitely pisses me off.  Come say hi and Ill usually welcome you to fish holes I've already worked and share some knowledge.  A little etiquette can go a long way, especially on smaller body's of water.   

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 21, 2018, 12:48 PM »
WESTERN DISTRICT PAGE 26
Setlines: Setlines (unattended lines) are not allowed in the Western Fishing District.

CENTRAL DISTRICT PAGE 53
Setlines
• Setlines may be used only on waters specified in District Exceptions.
• Setlines must be checked by the fisherman at least once every 24 hours.
• The angler’s name and phone number or name and 9/10-digit ALS# must be attached
to each setline.
• Setlines shall not be attached to jugs or other floating devices.

EASTERN DISTRICT PAGE 81
Setlines
• Number of lines is the same as for Hook and Line Limits. Setlines may be used in all 
waters unless prohibited in the District Exceptions to Standard Regulations.
• Setlines (unattended lines) must be checked by the owner at least once every 24 hours.
• The angler’s name and phone number or name and 9/10-digit ALS# must be attached 
to each setline.

Lol. Thanks for the copy & paste. While it is true setlines are prohibited in the Western District, they are allowed on many lakes in the Central and Eastern. Since we’re in C&P mode, my point was this:

“Ice Fishing, Lakes and Reservoirs
-When a line is used through the ice, the angler need not be in immediate control, but must be in the vicinity and in visual contact with the line.”

“Setlines must be checked by the fisherman at least once every 24 hours.”

In other words, there is the assertion that the angler should be in visual contact with their lines/tip-ups. However, if the anglers head to the bar or across the lake, the unattended lines/tip-ups can then legally be referred to as “setlines” and need only be checked once every 24 hours. Huh?
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Tinker

« Reply #72 on: Dec 21, 2018, 01:54 PM »
I put my name and ALS on all my tip ups, keeps me legal (on waters that allow set lines) in case I have to make a beer run  ;D

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 21, 2018, 02:42 PM »

In other words, there is the assertion that the angler should be in visual contact with their lines/tip-ups. However, if the anglers head to the bar or across the lake, the unattended lines/tip-ups can then legally be referred to as “setlines” and need only be checked once every 24 hours. Huh?

Page 20 of the 2018 Montana Fishing Regulations provides the definition for setlines as follows:
"SETLINE: A line or lines with or without a pole set to catch fish without the angler being
present or within immediate control. The angler’s name, phone number, or 9 or 10 digit ALS
# must be attached."

It also states that set setlines may not be attached to jugs or floating devices.

The regulations on setlines is different for each district.

The Western District regulations (p. 26) state that:
Setlines: Setlines (unattended lines) are not allowed in the Western Fishing District.

The Central District regulations (p.53-54) state that:
Setlines
• Setlines may be used only on waters specified in District Exceptions.
• Setlines must be checked by the fisherman at least once every 24 hours.
      to each setline.

The Eastern District regulations (p. 81) state that:
Setlines
• Number of lines is the same as for Hook and Line Limits. Setlines may be used in all waters unless prohibited in the District Exceptions to Standard Regulations.
     • Setlines (unattended lines) must be checked by the owner at least once every 24 hours.
to each setline.

So be sure to read the regulations not only for your district but for the specific body of water you are fishing. Western district is always a no, Central is no unless otherwise specified, Eastern is always a yes unless otherwise specified.

Stay informed, stay legal, stay safe, and continue being positive role models for the upcoming generations of sportsmen/women.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Wow.Buy a fishing license. Month is two numbers, day is two numbers, year is four numbers and depending on the order you received an initial fishing license you would either have one or two numbers tagged on, which makes it  a 9 or 10 number als.
Mizay is right.  I just checked my license. It starts with an 09.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:25 AM »
This topic sure turned south.

oldschoolben

« Reply #76 on: Dec 22, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Lol , yes it did

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com