Author Topic: Sled question  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sled question
« on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:23 PM »
Ok, question for all the guys who walk and pull their gear. What do you do with your auger? Sit itnon the bottom of your sled or do you have some sort of mount on the sled for your auger? Looking for different ideas.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sled question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:31 PM »
My auger sits in the bottom of my sled, lying down.  The only problem with this is, it has a tendency to leak gas occasionally. For some reason, it doesn't always leak. I cover the engine with a plastic trash bag, which seems to work. I'm planning to get an auger case to keep the gas out of the sled.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:35 PM »
I have a hand auger.  It rides wherever it gets thrown in.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:49 PM »
To add to my original post, I have a 6” K-Drill with a Clam Plate

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2018, 10:52 PM »
I have it mounted outside the sled.

Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:43 AM »
Mine gets put inside sled as neatly as possible.

Hand, gas, electric. Doesnt matter, I have never had to mount it outside of my sled.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:30 AM »
ive got  a soroc sled that has slots for wood cross braces.i put other gear underneath and my auger  and hub go up top.the auger is the first tool  I need to start fishing so its up top.could mod any sled really.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:49 AM »
In the sled along the side motor to the front. If you have a kdrill just lay it in there.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:48 AM »
I built an auger rack out of PVC that sits on the back of the skis on my Smitty Sled. It pops in and out as needed.

jbird68

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2018, 12:17 PM »
I built an auger rack out of PVC that sits on the back of the skis on my Smitty Sled. It pops in and out as needed.

(Image removed from quote.)
.  Nice simple idea!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2018, 03:57 PM »
Bryfish84 what kind of sled do you have??  Some missing info.. weather a flip sled a plain sled also what's planned on going in sled??  If pulling by hand the wood will add weight weight boggs you down.. this is why I suggset looking at methods of packing/organization..  with out adding shelfs pvc etc ..try to keep it light..  the most I would add on top of all weight is a smitdy sled.. the kind with skis I don't use them.. cause we get to much lake effect snow to use it around here in the snow and rust belt.. if you live in a area that gets less snow that's were  it would be a great idea ..

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:34 PM »
I have the Shappell Jet Sled. I will have my Shappell Hub shack, 5 gallon bucket with rods, Mr Buddy heater, auger (k-drill w/clam plate), and my vex.

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Strap the drill on the top of my covered hut on a Smitty.  Drill and drop the Marcum, look, and make a decision.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline LSHD69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:17 PM »
I mounted an atv gun rack and broom/mop clamp on my jet sled. Tucks away nicely and is in there solid. The mount has a rubber strap to lock it down; but not needed for short hops across the lakes I fish. Sorry pics aren’t the best. Sled is still in my vehicle.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:18 PM »
I have the Shappell Jet Sled. I will have my Shappell Hub shack, 5 gallon bucket with rods, Mr Buddy heater, auger (k-drill w/clam plate), and my vex.

Single green propane cylinders?? I guessing what I would do is hub on one side with the buddy heater and rods in 5 gallon bucket  on the adjacent side of shanty in sled.. as if  you drew a line end to end  half for shanty and half for the other..  once you get those items in..  put the auger in on top of shanty minus battery.. seen shanties sheded form a trigger bump... the auger is stowed down the Crack inbetween the bucket heater and shanty is how I like doing this..

then i would keep my vex and drills batteries in a back pack if I could??  to protect it  from bouncing in sled .. and maybe some tackle drinks etc.. then you don't throw tackle in the bucket with fish or sled to find later..stuck to your shanty??  also if you got folding lawn chairs put those on top of the auger or next to auger .. when you load the sled ..

then after you walk all the way out after you pop the either ratchet straps or a harbor freight motor cycle cargo keeper net system off the top of it all..  you have a seat to sit on to open the shanty up get the stakes etc out to set up... as I am pulling the shanty i set the auger accross the bucket and heater side leaning from ice to those items..  then stake down shanty etcand open up.. then set up your gear like I aLL ways..  i am  thinking just stack and organize for easy access and use??

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:59 PM »
Bryfish84 what kind of sled do you have??  Some missing info.. weather a flip sled a plain sled also what's planned on going in sled??  If pulling by hand the wood will add weight weight boggs you down.. this is why I suggset looking at methods of packing/organization..  with out adding shelfs pvc etc ..try to keep it light..  the most I would add on top of all weight is a smitdy sled.. the kind with skis I don't use them.. cause we get to much lake effect snow to use it around here in the snow and rust belt.. if you live in a area that gets less snow that's were  it would be a great idea ..

I agree with you (I only pull by hand all season), but the weight of the add ons to the sled is negligible compared to the equipment you put in the sled. My auger, pop up shelter, heater, and propane alone are pushing 50lbs. My wooden add ons are probably 2lbs tops, but help me keep everything organized and accessible.

Edit:

I'm going back to the drawing board. Had a rough day with my wooden add ons yesterday.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Bry, how big is your jet sled? I have an Otter Magnum. I put my auger in on one side, Eskimo hub on the other with buddy heater, fishfinder, thermos, lunch bag on top.  5 gallon bucket with rods and tipups, fish bucket, 5lb propane tank, and tackle box go in the middle. It's heavy, but my 10 year old son and I have pulled it a mile on bare ice, maybe 200 yards on snowpack.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2018, 12:47 PM »
screw two 2x4's to the back of the sled vertically. Then I took a 1" spade bit and drilled a whole 1.5" down. Used a chisel to clear the top and make a "U" for the auger. works great. 15min and you're done.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:22 PM »
screw two 2x4's to the back of the sled vertically. Then I took a 1" spade bit and drilled a whole 1.5" down. Used a chisel to clear the top and make a "U" for the auger. works great. 15min and you're done.

Do you have a picture?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:40 PM »
Geez throw it in there and drag it- ???
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Here is mine 2 pieces of aluminum square tube, 1 aluminum angle iron (cross piece) and 3 steel L-brackets on a jet sled XL

ICE FISHING..........  ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.
CO Native. C&R Esox Lucius

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Third yr. w/ this home made sled. Holds everything including floored hut and auger. Basically aluminum and snowboards, but it’s still a chore on anything except clear ice.
Gen. 2 will dump the gas auger for battery power and swap the 1/2” plywood floor for something synthetic, like PVC.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Third yr. w/ this home made sled. Holds everything including floored hut and auger. Basically aluminum and snowboards, but it’s still a chore on anything except clear ice.
Gen. 2 will dump the gas auger for battery power and swap the 1/2” plywood floor for something synthetic, like PVC.

Skinny skis would help reduce drag as well.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2018, 07:10 PM »
"Skinny skis would help reduce drag as well."

Especially in the snow!
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2018, 07:22 PM »
Geez throw it in there and drag it- ???

Lol, my thoughts exactly.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Ion auger users can use this quick release tool. I remove power head from auger and store in my flip over.  Takes justs seconds to reconnect at my next hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.