Author Topic: Any reports on the Pistol by Eskimo?  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any reports on the Pistol by Eskimo?
« on: Dec 16, 2018, 07:51 PM »
No ice here yet to try the Pistol but would like to see what others think of it who have used it.   Read a few comments from people who said it walks a lot more than the K-Drill and is more of a safety risk.   Mine is still in the box so I would like to get some input before I use it.  Also lots of debate on whether it makes a smaller or larger hole than its K Drill counterpart.  Eskimo sales rep told me it drills a true 6 inch and the K Drill is 5.25 or something like that.   

Offline ifc202

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Any reports on the Pistol by Eskimo?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:09 AM »
I saw a good demo on YouTube. Guy compared the Pistol and Kdrill. Try searching Eskimo Pistol on YouTube and you'll probably find it. This computer blocks it so I can't attach the link.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:20 AM »
Kdrill 6" is 6" Krdrill 8" is 7.5".
Here is the video.
<===Lefty===

Offline Piltzviller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cruising through life one ice hole at a time...
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:44 AM »
Some folks have been charting about it up here in Montana.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=361940.0

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:57 AM »
The 6” version is both a true 6” for both the Eskimo and the KDrill.    In the 8” version they are different.  The Eskimo is 8 while the KDrill is 7.5

Like I said in the video (thanks for sharing it by the way).  If your intention is just to go out and punch a bunch of holes each time, the pistol bit is a winner.   However if you tend to fish in dirty ice conditions (sand, silt, debris), open old holes often, want to overlap your holes, or only drill a small number of holes and not worried about having to replace your blades often, then go with the KDrill.

The Eskimo will cut about 30-40% more holes on a battery charge.  The actual amount will vary quite a bit depending on your drill type and battery size.  But apples to apples you will always get more holes with the Eskimo.

Offline riverfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:18 AM »
I really like my 6" so far.  It has the smoothest break through (no binding or catching) at the bottom of the hole of any auger I've ever tried and I have had lazer, Nils,K-drill. It is supper lightweight  and 40" long.  I have not had any trouble with it walking you just need to START SLOW when drilling a hole.  Overall so far I think it is a great auger.     

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:44 AM »
My 8" pistol works as advertised.....not sure why I ever hauled around a heavy greasy 2-cycle engine......

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Can you attach the Pistol to a Clam Plate?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Can you attach the Pistol to a Clam Plate?
Yes.
<===Lefty===

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Used my 8" during a couple outings the last week. Lightweight, cuts smoothly,  and no hang ups at the bottom of the hole has me pleased. I did not experience any safety-threatening 'walking when starting it up although I made sure to start slow at the beginning of each hole.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  It appears the Pistol is as advertised.  I think it may have been in this forum that someone posted the first time they used it walked on them and cut their foot.  Accidents can happen with anything but just wanted to make sure this wasn't something others were experiencing / some flaw in the design. 

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:11 PM »
 Eskimo made this video last week to ease the concerns of those who worry about reports of it skating when starting a hole.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Eskimo made this video last week to ease the concerns of those who worry about reports of it skating when starting a hole.

Yup, exactly how I do my Nils without the powerpoint too.  I doubled-down on my Nils by buying an extra cutting head this year, but these composite augers have my interest.  Much lighter and carrying a spare set of blades is a lot easier than carrying an entire spare cutting head around.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing that video.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Wish they would have had that video out before I cut my boots and foot, Could there be an issue with there drill that they come out with this video? No mention of go slow in there owners manual? I did start slow but not as slow as shown in the video.  I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they will help me try "another" Pistol bit. Good company but this really put a sour taste in my mouth.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Wish they would have had that video out before I cut my boots and foot, Could there be an issue with there drill that they come out withy this video? No mention of go slow in there owners manual? I did start slow but not as slow as shown in the video.  I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they will help me try "another" Pistol bit. Good company but this really put a sour taste in my mouth.

I assume that they must have had more than one customer experience the problem that you did, otherwise they wouldn't have made this video.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2018, 10:08 AM »
I went out with a friend today fishing he had the 6 inch Pistol bit we both tried it worked awesome we had just a light covering of snow maybe 1/4 inch I believe because of that it bit in faster we then tried a spot that was glare and started very slowly like in the video it did not walk and worked great. I think the the Video from Dtro and comments are spot on just be cautious and let er rip. I like the K drill as I overlap holes but maybe thinking of the 6 inch pistol again as I'm a hole hopper and more holes per charge. We found through the day we were using the Pistol more than the K drill.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Glad it worked better for you this time.

If both augers were propped up against the wall and I was going out to cut a bunch of holes.   The KDrill would stay home just about every time.   

This is only based on a small sample of trips.  If the blades go to crap or stuff starts breaking, I reserve the right to change my mind. :)   First impressions are that its pretty darn good though.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:23 AM »
ah cool :)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Agreed DTro :)

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Wish they would have had that video out before I cut my boots and foot, Could there be an issue with there drill that they come out with this video? No mention of go slow in there owners manual? I did start slow but not as slow as shown in the video.  I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they will help me try "another" Pistol bit. Good company but this really put a sour taste in my mouth.
You may be entitled to significant compensation. ;D
It must be something in the water.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:45 AM »
lol I was always taught self inflicted wounds don't pay.at least thats what my ol drywall boss always told me.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:47 AM »
My boss use to tell me if I fell from more than 1 story up that I was fired before I hit the ground.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2018, 12:35 PM »
 I ordered one today. I just wish they would have said something in the manual or box just start very slow. Anyway time to move on both augers are good in my opinion. After several holes with my buddy today we had a blast fishing. Take it with a grain of salt but this is what my sister used to say about me a couldn't pour water out of a boot with the instructions on the heel ;D ::)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2018, 12:39 PM »
I ordered one today. I just wish they would have said something in the manual or box just start very slow. Anyway time to move on both augers are good in my opinion. After several holes with my buddy today we had a blast fishing. Take it with a grain of salt but this is what my sister used to say about me a couldn't pour water out of a boot with the instructions on the heel ;D ::)
Glad the first experience didn't scare you away. I am sure you will like it.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Thanks Lefty I appreciate the comment ;)

Offline Jrahn0822

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2018, 01:05 PM »
I had my 6" Pistol out and my buddy who owns a tackle shop had his 6" K-Drill out yesterday.  After using my Pistol he now wants one.  I did multiple overlapping holes with the Pistol too.  Not sure where people are having issues running the Pistol.  I'm wondering if the walking some people are experiencing are due to bent shafts or something?  I have yet to experience walking, granted I want to say I try to be fairly cautious when popping holes.

Offline Db

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 607 373 0942
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2018, 01:46 PM »
I have used my pistol bit 15 times and so far very impressed its fast and I get no walking or wobbling like others have had

luv2fish2

« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2018, 02:46 PM »
is the pistol bit the auger that the blades are mounted in plastic ? not a steel flange at the bottom? i think thats what dtro said . doesn't anyone else see this as a problem in the making ?

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Yes, it's plastic.   Time will tell I guess.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.