Author Topic: Adapter for Clamplate to 8" aqua Nils  (Read 415 times)

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Adapter for Clamplate to 8" aqua Nils
« on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:40 PM »
I know I've seen it mentioned on here before but can't seem to find the answer now. What kind of adapter do I need to hook up a blue Nils to the Clam? I seem to recall one was being sold on EBAY by a guy here in Colorado.

I've got an 8" mora and just got the newest Milwaukee M18 FUEL drill. Should I just resort to using the mora? Almost burned up my Dewalt doing one single hole through less than 6" ice. I knew better but I got a new toy so had to see if the Dewalt would do the deed before my FUEL arrived.
Selective harvest works!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Adapter for Clamplate to 8" aqua Nils
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:00 PM »
My buddy got his adapter  off ebay. 

The fuel should handle the Mora no sweat.  The upside is its less prone to damage and you can sharpen the blades yourself or buy new ones at pretty much any bait shop or sporting goods store.  With the Nils you have to order an $80 head online or ship them out to be sharpened and wait for the turn around.  The downside is a flat blade auger cuts slower and can kick out occasionally on really hard clear ice before it bites.

Unless you've already got the Nils you can save some loot on the auger and adapter by splitting the difference and getting an 8" Lazer.  It has the curved blades and like the Mora you can get replacements pretty much anywhere.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:12 PM »
My buddy got his adapter  off ebay. 

The fuel should handle the Mora no sweat.  The upside is its less prone to damage and you can sharpen the blades yourself or buy new ones at pretty much any bait shop or sporting goods store.  With the Nils you have to order an $80 head online or ship them out to be sharpened and wait for the turn around.  The downside is a flat blade auger cuts slower and can kick out occasionally on really hard clear ice before it bites.

Unless you've already got the Nils you can save some loot on the auger and adapter by splitting the difference and getting an 8" Lazer.  It has the curved blades and like the Mora you can get replacements pretty much anywhere.

Just add a Clam plate and the extension you should be golden with your mora ..Good Luck
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Hey Ripper...I think I'm looking at one right now in the role of a paperweight on my desk. I used an 8" blue Nils last year at early ice hooked direct to a Fuel with a Kovac adaptor..

then got a Clam plate and realized that I needed a special adaptor to hook it up. So I got that. Wound up selling the Nils but still have the adaptor which is yours as a Christmas

present if we can arrange a handover. I'll be at the Mile tomorrow morning though it's unlikely you'll be there at the same time. Send me a PM.

Stinky
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 06:30 PM »
That's a generous offer, Mark. This is Adam. I bought your Nils last year. At the time I didn't know if I would be going electric but now have almost all the components for chewing ice even faster. Your Nero post has got me thinking all over again though. So many augers, so little dinero.

I like the benefit of saving battery life and taking the load off the drill by using the Nils. I'll be keeping the Mora in my truck and on hand in the case I breathe wrong on the delicate Nils.

Thanks everyone for your replies
Selective harvest works!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Hi again Adam. I hope the Nils is working okay for you. Thinking back, I believe what I didn't like about the Fuel/Clam/Nils was that it felt tall to me, that is, starting up around my chest where I think I would have been happier with something about waist high at the handles. A tall and lanky type like yourself wouldn't have the same issue. When I first
bolted on the Nero, without the extension I had sort of a Frodo Baggins setup at about mid-thigh at the handle, light of course, but kind of comical. Got the Clam extension and at
least it's more of a Goldilocks sweet spot now. However, the linkage from my Octane through the Clam plate spindle bearing, through the Clam extension, and finally to the Nero
just compounds every little bit of slop at each connection adding up to a perceptible wobble. Mind you, it still cuts very effectively once the blades bite but I'm pretty sure the 7" Nero is boring an 8" hole. I'm going to take the drill off the Clam plate and screw it directly to the Nils tomorrow and see if what I think is happening really is.
If you want to PM your address, I'll ship this Nils adaptor to you.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.