The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: New to the area  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Bgpapa

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the area
« on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:24 PM »
Moved to Fitchburg and I'm looking for a spot for my shanty close to home. Looks to be abunch of ponds within a few miles of here. Anybody have any ideas. Thanks

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New to the area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:47 AM »
Check out the Mass Wildlife website. They have a pretty good list of pond maps for waters all across the state.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Bgpapa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Thanks I was looking for more of where I could find good ice and maybe a few nice panfish...

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:48 PM »
Thanks I was looking for more of where I could find good ice and maybe a few nice panfish...

Welcome to the site Bgpapa. Don't be discouraged by the lack of responses...the "where can I find good ice" question will not get answered directly, especially early season, for 2 major reasons:

1) Hundreds of lurkers on this site wait for those answers to swarm early ice locations, and
2) Nobody wants the moral liability of providing advice about "safe" ice (is there even such a thing?) and hearing about an accident

There are plenty of fishable locations in your area, and plenty with good panfishing but at this point in the season you have to do the legwork to figure out where to go. As mentioned previously, the MA DFW pond site is your best friend.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Good tips from flyfish.  Also, make a few more posts and you can private message people.  Share some information as well and people will be much more willing to reciprocate.
westernmas on the finder

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:32 PM »
I live in Fitchburg also. There are a number of places. Sort of depends what you are looking to fish for and how long a drive you are willing to make. You are within an hour's drive from the best fishing in the state by far.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline Bgpapa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Today I spent a couple hours in Westminster didn't catch anything tomorrow I'm thinking about fort pond in Lancaster or maybe spectacle pond if I can get on it

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:34 PM »
You've got the right idea. Just be careful and check the ice with a spud every few feet on your way out.
Good luck
MA

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:49 AM »
Today I spent a couple hours in Westminster didn't catch anything tomorrow I'm thinking about fort pond in Lancaster or maybe spectacle pond if I can get on it

Nice job.  Way to get out.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Bgpapa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2018, 12:29 PM »
54 degrees ice went pretty fast checked 5 different places only had enough ice in Westminster about 5 inches and ZERO fish

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Welcome and don't be discouraged.  Depending on what kind of fish you are looking for Spec Pond, Fort Pond, Mirror Lake, Bear Hill Pond and a few others are all good bets and close to you.  I live east of you so these are my go to places.  Access is easiest at Fort and Mirror lake because they have parking lots.  Bear Hill has a lot that fills up quick.  Spec has a small place to park next to the town beach. No useful Ice on any at the moment but they should all lock up later this month.  Usually good from very early January to late February/early March. Might want to check the ice conditions section which isn't public for more info but people are tight lipped there too. 

Offline Bgpapa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2018, 03:13 PM »
Thank you for the information. Be aware that mirror lake has sign saying no ice fishing, bare hill Looks fun. can't wait for good ice

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2018, 05:55 PM »
The sign that says no ice fishing on Mirror lake is left over from when the Army owned it circa 1996.  I've been there ice fishing more than once and am not the only one. 

Offline Bgpapa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:00 PM »
That's great to hear. I didn't know I just saw the sign and didn't want anybody to get in trouble

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Welcome to the site!  You'll find the help you need here and on the Mass Wildlife site.  Have fun and be safe.

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:46 PM »
You may want to check Paradise Pond in Princeton off Rt 31.  Paradise is shallow, easy access, decent size fish ... but not usually noted for lots of flag action.   However, as we say ... a slow day of fishing is ...better than no fishing...

As always, do you own diligence when checking the ice.  Likely you know... shallow ponds may freeze fast but they can also open up fast too.   Lastly careful where you drill ... there are many spots in the center of the pond that have rock and gravel just below the surface. 

Keep us posted on your adventures ...
Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline Bgpapa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Thank you very much for the information I'll check it out

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:27 AM »
If you decide to hit paradise I live right down the street and might be able to help you out.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline Bgpapa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:30 AM »
Always like company that's what fishing is all about to me.thanks

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:42 AM »
Just let me know.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Always wanted to try paradise. Is there any good crappie fishing in there or are they more a bycatch?

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Always wanted to try paradise. Is there any good crappie fishing in there or are they more a bycatch?

Paradise is not very good. There are random giant bass in there but mostly it is bluegill/pickerel. You also need to be in just the right spots or you are just drilling through the ice into 36" of solid weed and muck. You can also drill right into rocks as there are portions of the lake out in the middle that are less than a foot deep. Be prepared to chip some blades. My only luck there has been carefully jigging for gills, which is fun.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2018, 12:01 PM »
If more people were law abiding we wouldn't have all the access problems people seem to find in Mass.  Sometimes the private property crowd is painful but usually its because they are assholes or because someone did something to make them that way.  A few years ago a bunch of summer places over at Bear Hill got trashed on Sheep Island.  My son and I were fishing near there and the property owners came out to check on their places. They came out and talked to us and indicated they weren't happy but I can't say as I blame them for being angry.   Also someone else had caught a bunch of fish and just left them on the ice to die near where we were.  A few tend to spoil it for the rest of us unfortunately.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.