The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Milwaukee Fuel Mud Mixer  (Read 288 times)

Offline George_B

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
Milwaukee Fuel Mud Mixer
« on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:11 AM »
Would you think the Mud Mixer would be a good choice if I wanted the confidence of stability like I would get with a Clam Plate in a slightly smaller profile for transporting and weight? I read that it does not have the RPM's of the drill, but I have no faith in that side handle it has for control if again I wanted the smaller stance without the Clam setup.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Milwaukee Fuel Mud Mixer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:33 AM »
The Mud Mixer with a 9ah battery weighs 8.5 lbs.  The Milwaukee 2704 with 9ah battery and Clam Plate weighs 10.75 lbs.  Depending on the auger you have, the Mud Mixer will cut plenty fast at top speed (550 rpm).  lol  I would still give the drill/Clam Plate combo better marks for stability and safety, but if your auger catches the ice with either, its still going to hurt - one of the main reasons I chose the Nils 8 Power Point to run on my Mud Mixer.  They have an excellent reputation for not catching or grabbing the ice at the bottom of the hole.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2018, 06:59 AM »
Going on a second season with the MM/K-Drill combo, I haven't found anything to not like yet. The handle adjustability is a plus and so far seems extremely sturdy. RPMs are plenty for driving the K and though it is maxed does not heat up drilling a dozen holes at a time. Additionally, the K does not catch at the bottom of the hole so from a stability standpoint the combo is also pretty safe. That centering point absolutely prevents drill walking and always gets your hole right where you wanted it.

Based on DN's comments I am curious what the criteria might be for "stable" and "safe". Or perhaps it's more auger choice than the driver.

Direct drive simplifies the equation. I know, one trick pony, but I've already got a coupla perfectly good drills/drivers for home use and a dedicated tool for ice seemed right. I have mixed a couple buckets of cement though. Did a nice job and made quick work of it.
Not fish? Not an option!

"Life's too short to worry, life's too long to wait..."

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:04 AM »
Going on a second season with the MM/K-Drill combo, I haven't found anything to not like yet. The handle adjustability is a plus and so far seems extremely sturdy. RPMs are plenty for driving the K and though it is maxed does not heat up drilling a dozen holes at a time. Additionally, the K does not catch at the bottom of the hole so from a stability standpoint the combo is also pretty safe. That centering point absolutely prevents drill walking and always gets your hole right where you wanted it.

Based on DN's comments I am curious what the criteria might be for "stable" and "safe". Or perhaps it's more auger choice than the driver.

Direct drive simplifies the equation. I know, one trick pony, but I've already got a coupla perfectly good drills/drivers for home use and a dedicated tool for ice seemed right. I have mixed a couple buckets of cement though. Did a nice job and made quick work of it.

I think, however, that it really is not "direct drive" in that there is likely a gearbox that reduces the RPMs to make more torque at slower speeds, something that Clam did a rotten job at. IMO the lower RPMs are an advantage that Clam was striving for but failed.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline George_B

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:01 AM »
Excellent post to the Mud Mixer idea. I ll be using a 8 Nils Trekker model that has sections so I believe I will be able to tailor the length to the thickness of the ice, and reduce more drag weight for the pull. Also the 1 piece 8 Nils I have along with the Treakker do not have the power point. Back when I originally purchased the 1 piece manual model years ago it was and still is a great tool, so I didnt give the power point a thought. This idea could be my new conversation piece on the ice.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Of course you're correct GF. I should have said integral gearbox. Direct only in the sense there is no 3rd party transition between power and auger. Really one less thing to go wrong.

I also like that the gearbox is built much stronger than any drill/driver. Another plus is no clutch which we have zero use for on the ice.
Not fish? Not an option!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:31 AM »
exox_xtm - "Based on DN's comments I am curious what the criteria might be for "stable" and "safe". Or perhaps it's more auger choice than the driver."

What I mean by stable and safe in that context is that I would much prefer to grasp an auger the way you do the Clam Plate, as if you were using a rototiller...  It's more comfortable for me than the way you have to hold the Mud Mixer handles like a jackhammer.  I think it's safer too.  I'm sure all of the power augers were designed with ergonomics in mind when they decided to go with loop handles instead of pogo stick type handles.  Does that make more sense?

DN   

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Got it DN.  I'll surmise that part of the "loop handle" design was to support and control a 2 - 3hp gas powerhead. Honestly,  despite the diminutive form of the MM handles it's been easy to handle and control, at least for me. And you can adjust the angle of the handle(s) to accommodate what is comfortable to you. Might not be full rototiller style but you do have the ability to get the handles more in front of you if you wish. Maybe I'm comfortable with it because I ran a jackhammer for a few years waaaay back.
Not fish? Not an option!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Lets just say I have a healthy respect for the power these tools have after my 2704 nearly ripped my thumb off and wrenched my wrist last February.  It was very sore for months.  I was unscrewing the nuts from the 5/16" X 3" bolts that held the railing in place on the deck of my pontoon at the beginning of the refurb.  The bolts and nuts were all stainless and coming off with a breeze; all but one regular steel one that must have got mixed in with the stainless when the boat was assembled.  The nut had rusted on the bolt and I had also forgotten to switch the drill from drill mode to screw mode.  As soon as I hit the trigger on the drill, it was ripped out of my hand with force that I couldn't have before imagined and that had grotesquely contorted my thumb and wrist in the process.  lol  I am very careful when I use the drill and Mud Mixer now. hahaha

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Ouch! Worst part is none of us are gettin' any younger. Now it take 3 months for me to heal from something that used to take maybe a week.

Your experience and caution is duly noted and will reside in the back of my brain every time I pull the trigger. Thanks DN!
Not fish? Not an option!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:51 AM »
I am still waffling on getting a Milwaukee Hole Hawg or Super Hawg.  They are the true Big Mamas when it comes to drilling.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Drilling/Right-Angle-Drills

The Hole Hawg is about $250 but I have seen it for much less.  I am sure it is already overkill. But, speaking of overkill, the Super Hawg is even more powerful - designed to cut 6 inch holes in wood all day long on batteries.  Same internal gearbox for more torque and lower RPMs.

Probably won't pull the trigger this year because I probably don't need it anyways - just the bragging rights.

There is one practical side, it is long and slim once you remove the handle so it is easy to pack and transport.
Veritas Odium Parit

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.