Author Topic: Garmin Echomap Input Wanted (NOT Panoptix related)  (Read 4770 times)

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
Garmin Echomap Input Wanted (NOT Panoptix related)
« on: Oct 23, 2018, 12:48 PM »
Alright guys... I'm an all day hole hopper.  Pack light and if need be will fish 8+ hours.

Garmin Panoptix at this point does not interest me $$$$  Neither does the weight or power draw (even with 2 lithiums)

I've decided either the Hummingbird Helix 5 G2 GPS or the Garmin Echopmap 63cv.    After watching John Whytes review of the Garmin 63 (his was a 65 - Canada) I'm leaning toward the Echomap.

Video of the Garmin Echo 6"

Guys with Echomaps or strikers running the GT8IF ice transducer.
( I have Dakota Lithium 10ah batteries already)

1.  How is jigging lag relative to say my Marcum LX5?
2.  Comments on battery life (100% brightness.... I dont want to hear about running 50% brightness to get the battery life to 7 hours vs 4)...
3.  Comment on GPS/Charts and interfacing with them?
4.  Ease of Use? or "Would you buy again?"
5.  How is the ice bundle... good case/ducer float and batter hold down?

Planning on this being a 4 or 5 year purchase until the weight/kinks/price of panoptix drops.

Hope you can help!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Garmin Echomap Input Wanted (NOT Panoptix related)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2018, 01:41 PM »
"Guys with Echomaps or strikers running the GT8IF ice transducer.
( I have Dakota Lithium 10ah batteries already)

1.  How is jigging lag relative to say my Marcum LX5?
2.  Comments on battery life (100% brightness.... I dont want to hear about running 50% brightness to get the battery life to 7 hours vs 4)...
3.  Comment on GPS/Charts and interfacing with them?
4.  Ease of Use? or "Would you buy again?"
5.  How is the ice bundle... good case/ducer float and batter hold down?

Planning on this being a 4 or 5 year purchase until the weight/kinks/price of panoptix drops."

I can't give you a complete apples-to-apples comparison, but here is my experience with my 43dv echomap chirp with the GT8IF ducer versus my FLX-28 - and I ran them side by side multiple times.

1. There seems to me to bit a slight lag with the Garmin in traditional sonar view and flasher view compared to the FLX-28 - emphasis on slight, but sometimes that is all the difference it takes. That lag is less when running the Garmin unit A-Scope setting to the point of maybe even equal to the Vex.  I personally prefer watching the traditional flasher versus the scrolling sonar screen or A-Scope.

2.  Battery life was suprisingly good on the Garmin unit with running it "wide open" - very comparable to the FLX-28.  Never had an issue making it a full day with either unit, and the Garmin was always on longer due to me using it to navigate in addition to fishing.

3. Main reason I got the unit to take with ice fishing was the navigation features it has.  Absolutely love using it to scout out new spots - the contour features are pretty accurate and you can also map your own to make refinements if need be - I haven't done that.  Also nice to have the GPS along with the tracking feature when out on large bodies of water - allows me to return back using the same path I went out.

4. Very easy to use and the 63cv sounds even easier.  I will likely upgrade to the 63cv due to it's larger size, better resolution, and refined ease of use.

5.The quality of the ice bundle is pretty good.  The bag itself is well thought out in regards to accessing everything and is actually better than my Vex units IMHO.  Battery is very accessible and is held down with (2) velcro straps while the transducer cable can be wound up and securly stored on the frame.  The foam float for the transducer adequately supports the weight of the ducer, but it's a bit larger in diameter at 2-3/4".

BR

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2018, 02:36 PM »

I can't give you a complete apples-to-apples comparison, but here is my experience with my 43dv echomap chirp with the GT8IF ducer versus my FLX-28 - and I ran them side by side multiple times.

1. There seems to me to bit a slight lag with the Garmin in traditional sonar view and flasher view compared to the FLX-28 - emphasis on slight, but sometimes that is all the difference it takes. That lag is less when running the Garmin unit A-Scope setting to the point of maybe even equal to the Vex.  I personally prefer watching the traditional flasher versus the scrolling sonar screen or A-Scope.

2.  Battery life was suprisingly good on the Garmin unit with running it "wide open" - very comparable to the FLX-28.  Never had an issue making it a full day with either unit, and the Garmin was always on longer due to me using it to navigate in addition to fishing.

3. Main reason I got the unit to take with ice fishing was the navigation features it has.  Absolutely love using it to scout out new spots - the contour features are pretty accurate and you can also map your own to make refinements if need be - I haven't done that.  Also nice to have the GPS along with the tracking feature when out on large bodies of water - allows me to return back using the same path I went out.

4. Very easy to use and the 63cv sounds even easier.  I will likely upgrade to the 63cv due to it's larger size, better resolution, and refined ease of use.

5.The quality of the ice bundle is pretty good.  The bag itself is well thought out in regards to accessing everything and is actually better than my Vex units IMHO.  Battery is very accessible and is held down with (2) velcro straps while the transducer cable can be wound up and securly stored on the frame.  The foam float for the transducer adequately supports the weight of the ducer, but it's a bit larger in diameter at 2-3/4".

BR

Beers and cheers to you sir.... Thank you very much for the detailed feedback/review!

I was leaning with the 43cv for a long time and since I started Kayak fishing alot I figured I might as well treat myself knowing now that I have one unit for both seasons ALONG with having GPS integrated vs another unit hanging around my neck.

Offline MatfromWisco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2018, 11:31 PM »
Here is my input from a very experienced Garmin User, 63 bundle is great split fraction lag maybe .1 second, comes with the 8 but can use the bigger better 10 ducer.  Maps preloaded and can even make its own.  About 30 hours battery life on one 10ah lithium and weighs about 8.4lbs.   

Costs 550 wereas the echomap 73 non panoptix is 700 what makes it a good choice is the upgradeability, you can add Panoptix when its cheaper. Used PS22 ducers are going for 3-400, the PS22 will even fit inside the small bag.  With lithium battery it's less then 10lbs and I got 11.5 hours life at full tilt in sub 40° temps.   I would add tons of images but all are to large!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Here is my input from a very experienced Garmin User, 63 bundle is great split fraction lag maybe .1 second, comes with the 8 but can use the bigger better 10 ducer.  Maps preloaded and can even make its own.  About 30 hours battery life on one 10ah lithium and weighs about 8.4lbs.   

Costs 550 wereas the echomap 73 non panoptix is 700 what makes it a good choice is the upgradeability, you can add Panoptix when its cheaper. Used PS22 ducers are going for 3-400, the PS22 will even fit inside the small bag.  With lithium battery it's less then 10lbs and I got 11.5 hours life at full tilt in sub 40° temps.   I would add tons of images but all are to large!

Hey Mat, welcome to Ice Shanty and thanks for chippin' in with the good info!  :thumbsup:

If you like to ice fish, and who here doesn't, you'll find plenty to keep you educated and entertained. From one "Sconnie" to another, pop into your profile and add your location so folks can get a general idea where you're at. It can be as specific as you wish but general is great. It helps us know how to answer any questions you may pose and how to take information you provide.  I know, it says "MatfromWisco"  but things in the north can be a little different from down south. ;)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Hey Mat, welcome to Ice Shanty and thanks for chippin' in with the good info!  :thumbsup:

If you like to ice fish, and who here doesn't, you'll find plenty to keep you educated and entertained. From one "Sconnie" to another, pop into your profile and add your location so folks can get a general idea where you're at. It can be as specific as you wish but general is great. It helps us know how to answer any questions you may pose and how to take information you provide.  I know, it says "MatfromWisco"  but things in the north can be a little different from down south. ;)

What about me  ??? ??? ???

Green Bay here

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Well... took advantage of the Ebay 10% off...

For $494 I'm now the owner of a Garmin Echomap 63cv ice bundle!

Excited to start playing with it.

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Well... I got it today... and am playing around on it now.... wow...

From having "just a flasher" to all this.... can't wait to get out on the ice...

A formal review will follow mid-season.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2018, 12:54 PM »
What about me  ??? ??? ???

Green Bay here

My apologies sir! A big Shanty welcome to you as well. I totally did not notice your location and "beginners" post count. Shame on me...

Always nice to see guys/gals from WI on the boards. You fishin' the Bay mostly or travel around? My son lives maybe 20 minutes from GB and we've tapped it a couple of time for whiteys. Skipped last year and went to LBDN for a sleeper shack. Bumped into a tough fish but found a few and had a great time. Wish someone did sleepers by you. That would make it a lot easier.

Good luck to you this year and enjoy your new toy!  :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2018, 04:15 PM »

Always nice to see guys/gals from WI on the boards. You fishin' the Bay mostly or travel around?

Good luck to you this year and enjoy your new toy!  :thumbsup:

Bay of Green Bay, Lake Winnebago, Little Sturgeon Bay, Shawano Lake, and then Early and Late season I am running up into Oconto, Marinette, and Florence Counties chasing the early ice on and late ice off.

Pretty understanding wife... I believe my father and I went every weekend last year from Xmas thru March 25th at least one weekend day for the full day... a few times we got to double dip.

Offline Lizardking419

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Well... I got it today... and am playing around on it now.... wow...

From having "just a flasher" to all this.... can't wait to get out on the ice...

A formal review will follow mid-season.

Any update on the unit?  I was thinking of buying a Helix 7 but the Garmin has a lot options.  I found this thread and have not found a lot of reviews on the Garmin 63cv.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.